Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21 | 04:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had both, it’s no comparison. The TTV8 is far superior. This engine in my S560 is an order of magnitude more refined than the old Lexus NA 4.6 or the 5.7. .
Speaking just refinement and nothing else, what about the Benz V8 versus the OLD Lexus? 4.3?? Smooth and refined as that? Obviously wayyyyy more potent.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Speaking just refinement and nothing else, what about the Benz V8 versus the OLD Lexus? 4.3?? Smooth and refined as that? Obviously wayyyyy more potent.
I would say it’s very similar to the 1UZ and 3UZ in terms of smoothness and refinement
Old 08-26-21 | 05:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

After 50k miles the Toyota engine will still feel like new, while any German engine will lose a great chunk of its initial power, efficiency and refinement. For someone who leases, the Germans are a no brainer, for someone who wants to keep the car for a long time, Lexus is a better choice. The 5.7 in particular is low tech motor, very comparable to the old 4.3, but with a lot more torque - it is perfect for service in something the size of the LX. While I don't like and don't care for SUVs like the LX, it is going to be be a huge mistake if Toyota replaces the 5.7 with the TT V6.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have a friend who has a 2015 S550 with 112k miles on it and the engine still feels great.

The point is not to compare the two countries or origin just to illustrate that Lexus needs a TTV8
Old 08-26-21 | 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I have a friend who has a 2015 S550 with 112k miles on it and the engine still feels great.

The point is not to compare the two countries or origin just to illustrate that Lexus needs a TTV8
Oh absofreakinglutely, especially in the LS and LC. For the LX however, a big NA V8 is better than a TT V6 and probably even than a small TT V8, when you consider how these are being used.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Oh absofreakinglutely, especially in the LS and LC. For the LX however, a big NA V8 is better than a TT V6 and probably even than a small TT V8, when you consider how these are being used.
I don’t disagree, but like I said before that engine is so inefficient they just really can’t keep using it.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I don’t disagree, but like I said before that engine is so inefficient they just really can’t keep using it.
I didn't read the whole thread, but while the 5.7 is not the most efficient, it will perform much like new through its lifetime, while most modern engines only perform well when new, and once they get choked up with carbon they lose a ton of their initial efficiency, performance, and emissions quality. Perhaps Lexus could offer a more modern engine for the US, and the tried and proven 5.7 in other markets.
Old 08-26-21 | 06:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
After 50k miles the Toyota engine will still feel like new, while any German engine will lose a great chunk of its initial power, efficiency and refinement.
What is this mess? I would love to see the proof you have that German engines lose “a great chunk” of their power, efficiency, and refinement. Call some of them unreliable all day but what you typed is BS.

AMGs don’t lease well so I’ve kept a few of them for an extended period of time. The 2013 E63 I once owned was still putting down similar quarter mile times at 71k as it did at 12k (within .3 of a second).

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-26-21 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-26-21 | 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Well they briefly had the Blackwing tt DOHC V8 but killed it, made zero sense to me. Talk about wasting money.

I don't want anything downsized either. My 5.7 is a beast. It has excellent acceleration up to 100 or so where drag starts to work against it. Sounds as burly as any V8 I've ever heard.

It's apparently an anomaly and I'm the only one who's reported it, but like I said I get 20 MPG HWY. That's good for any heavy BOF, even still today pretty much.
You are gonna really appreciate the large 5.7 V8 you have when you hook up your new boat. On the open road a big V8 is just so lovely. Plus, long-term…no need to worry about turbo-parts failing etc. That’s what is really ideal about what Toyota does sometimes…they try to keep it simple for the long term. How do you like the always on full time 4wd?
Old 08-26-21 | 06:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
What is this mess? I would love to see the proof you have that German engines lose “a great chunk” of their power, efficiency, and refinement. Call some of them unreliable all day but what you typed is BS.

AMGs don’t lease well so I’ve kept a few of them for an extended period of time. The 2013 E63 I once owned was still putting down similar quarter mile times at 71k as it did at 12k (within .3 of a second).
Direct injection, carbon build up, oil consumption, high psi fuel pumps and injectors - these modern engines just do not hold up. We've discussed this in many threads, I don't want to go in circles, but there is a reason why LX anything retains its value over decades, while AMG anything depreciates like used face masks.
Old 08-26-21 | 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
For the LX however, a big NA V8 is better than a TT V6 and probably even than a small TT V8, when you consider how these are being used.
Toyota would have no issues offering a turbo V8 in the Lexus and making it last forever, it would be small in displacement and that size motor isn’t exactly, desirable for the type of LX buyer in the US.. Toyota would beat Mercedes for longevity and reliability when it comes to practically anything….turbos included. Toyota has been making turbos for a long long time. There has always been turbo diesel land cruisers and the outgoing LX had a twin turbo V8 diesel LX450d…definitely could be done.

But in the US, a giant 5.7 litre V8 is something highly desirable so adding a turbo to the motor seems pointless.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-21 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-26-21 | 10:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Direct injection, carbon build up, oil consumption, high psi fuel pumps and injectors - these modern engines just do not hold up. We've discussed this in many threads, I don't want to go in circles, but there is a reason why LX anything retains its value over decades, while AMG anything depreciates like used face masks.
Ah, yes these motors require repairs and maintenance much more often than their NA predecessors. Your statement made it sound like a well maintained German V8 in good shape just magically stops putting out the power it should as it climbs in miles, which just isn’t the case.

And you’re quite wrong about AMG anything depreciating like a rock. My old G-wagen lost less than $10k off its purchase price in 3 years and my current one can be sold for over $50k what I paid for it.

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-26-21 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-27-21 | 05:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ah, yes these motors require repairs and maintenance much more often than their NA predecessors. Your statement made it sound like a well maintained German V8 in good shape just magically stops putting out the power it should as it climbs in miles, which just isn’t the case.

And you’re quite wrong about AMG anything depreciating like a rock. My old G-wagen lost less than $10k off its purchase price in 3 years and my current one can be sold for over $50k what I paid for it.
G-wagens are the exception, not the rule when it comes to AMGs but even non AMG G-wagens hold their value.
Old 08-27-21 | 07:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
G-wagens are the exception, not the rule when it comes to AMGs but even non AMG G-wagens hold their value.
That's why one should avoid speaking in absolutes.
Old 08-27-21 | 11:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are gonna really appreciate the large 5.7 V8 you have when you hook up your new boat. On the open road a big V8 is just so lovely. Plus, long-term…no need to worry about turbo-parts failing etc. That’s what is really ideal about what Toyota does sometimes…they try to keep it simple for the long term. How do you like the always on full time 4wd?
I am looking forward to seeing how it performs when towing. That 5.7 is old school-- "there's no replacement for displacement" which I still agree with to this day.

AWD is great for whenever I drive off road, so many construction sites around to have a little fun with....I just hit them up and don't have to do anything. 80% of off road situations an LX will trudge through easily without having to touch one of the 75 other off road features. Love that too. I pulled out onto a busy street raining the other day and just nailed it, it's got traction like velcro.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)