Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 03:09 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is just my opinion.

Bad tech: (IMO)
-2.0ts (Today me driving in LX this chick in a sharp new 2.0t Jag E-class 250 SUV kept trying to race me, smoked her each time lol. She wasn't expecting that.)
-start stop
-multi gear 8+ speed transmissions, 6 speeds are all you need. For example my truck is geared very aggressively off the line and around town but cruises under 2k at 85MPH and gets 3mpg more than rated.
-digital gauges, I get they give way more info but no.
-cylinder deactivation
-attention monitor
-all this fake leather crap
-fake engine noise piped in
-electronic gear shifters, a regular one on steering wheel (in truck) on in console you can slam is all I'll ever want. I couldn't imagine having to be gentle with some dinky shifter.
More I'm sure but this is off top of my head.
How much did you win her by? 0.3s? Lol. Your LX and this new one are both nice utility SUVs for different purposes but that doesn't make 2.0T bad tech. I haven't tested E-Pace but test drove both Q7 and GLE350. Their 2.0T is certainly not what I had expected. Coming from a GX, I was like... 2.0? But yeah they both are lot quicker/more responsive than the GX with its V8. 8 gear when done right is a plus IMO. Why would fake leather be crap? I'm not a fan but some of them are really nice. And shouldn't more choices be better? Not that they stopped offering leathers. I do agree with you on stop/start. I hate that feature and am so glad I could turn it off.
Old 01-18-22, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
More good/useful tech
- Remote Start for hot/cold days
- Remote Viewing/Checking Status for over paranoid owners
- Video recorded in event of an accident
- Self/Auto drive: what's better when you are stuck in the traffic after a long work day?
- Auto Hold feature for long drive through
- Guidance that pin points to a specific lane displayed on HUD
- Night vision/high beam assist
- Send a destination to the car before you start your trip
- Ability to talk to the car to ask for certain thing/direction
- Live traffic/road condition/speed cam alert
- Playing/streaming video
- Ability to pre set a condition/state a car is in and assign to a button for future use
- Be able to unlock/lock/start the car with a phone or a plastic key
Agree with all of those...
Old 01-18-22, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bad tech: (IMO)
-multi gear 8+ speed transmissions, 6 speeds are all you need. For example my truck is geared very aggressively off the line and around town but cruises under 2k at 85MPH and gets 3mpg more than rated.
I love the 9 speed in my S Class, so I wouldn't agree there.

-digital gauges, I get they give way more info but no.
Also like my digital gauges.

-cylinder deactivation
My car has this and it improves fuel economy and I can't tell when its happening.
Old 01-18-22, 04:26 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what new tech is good?
Android auto and apple carplay. DRL. Back up cameras. Parking sensors....
Old 01-18-22, 09:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
How much did you win her by? 0.3s? Lol. Your LX and this new one are both nice utility off.
By quite a bit. I know they’re different vehicles but here new tech got annihilated by old tech. Look at the 5-60 and 50-70 passing time differences:

Jag:

LX:

Clearly shows how turbos have to wake up and that large displacement still works, even though different type vehicles. But she thought she was so bad, lol.
Old 01-19-22, 08:04 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not all "new tech" is created equal. The Mercedes-Benz GLS580, for example, has very similar 0-60mph and 5-60mph figures. Gearing, transmission tuning, and turbo tech matter.

C/D TEST RESULTS
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 4.7 sec
100 mph: 11.7 sec
130 mph: 21.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.1 sec
¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 106 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 166 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.90 g
Old 01-19-22, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Clearly shows how turbos have to wake up and that large displacement still works, even though different type vehicles. But she thought she was so bad, lol.
The point is, people aren't driving around at WOT all the time. In normal driving, the TTV6 feels more responsive than the V8 even of WOT 0-60 doesn't reflect that.

I also question these people trying to "race other people". Somehow I have driven these vehicles for 25 years and nobody has ever tried to "race me". I question whether any of that really happens or if its in your head. I don't see someone looking at a big older LX and thinking "I wanna race that in my basic 4cyl Jaguar SUV".

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-19-22 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 09:39 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

AJT, that “race” was indeed entirely in your head. And countless different cars with a different engine are much faster than yours. And countless others with different engines are slower. But here you’re nursing a semi about beating a car with 246 hp…. Go you!

I’m sure countless people have thought they beat my F Type V8 S, when only they thought they were racing…

because after all, street racing is exclusively an idiot’s domain.
Old 01-19-22, 01:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also question these people trying to "race other people". Somehow I have driven these vehicles for 25 years and nobody has ever tried to "race me". I question whether any of that really happens or if its in your head. I don't see someone looking at a big older LX and thinking "I wanna race that in my basic 4cyl Jaguar SUV".
If you think I'm delusional please hit ignore, sorta rude to basically call me a liar.. This chick was being totally cocky and I showed her what was up when the light turned green...trust me she was trying to race. She kept trying to catch me and beat me after that, all the way down this 4 lane road for a stretch. The point was, it was a "basic Jac 4 cylinder SUV" and she was acting like it was the full out performance version.

BTW I saw five 200 series SUVs out yesterday during about a 2 hour drive, you probably won't believe that either since you thought that was a fib too. smh.

Originally Posted by swajames
AJT, that “race” was indeed entirely in your head. And countless different cars with a different engine are much faster than yours. And countless others with different engines are slower. But here you’re nursing a semi about beating a car with 246 hp…. Go you!
Lol, it wasn't in my head. Again, rude. I explained the whole situation, not that I had to. This chick was giving it the beans. The only reason I even raced her at the light with her was because she was being cocky, driving really fast... and I guessed correctly it was a 2.0t once I rolled up to the light. Oof course there are faster cars than my LX are you kidding? But as I suspected, this Jag had all the looks but no actual go to it.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
because after all, street racing is exclusively an idiot’s domain.
Whew, yeah up to 70 or so on a road with a 55MPH speed limit that was completely clear...call the cops right now. You never raced your actual fast Jag? Again, smh.

Lol I NEVER race or even drive fast, like EVER.
Old 01-19-22, 01:31 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

AJT, you're taking a little flak mainly because the bar was set a bit low with that particular sparring partner. But yes, you are right, we've all done it at one point or another.
Old 01-19-22, 01:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
AJT, you're taking a little flak mainly because the bar was set a bit low with that particular sparring partner. But yes, you are right, we've all done it at one point or another.
Fair enough, part of it was because I was talking about how a 2.0t isn't good tech and then that happened.

That Jag looked good, really good. But all show and no go which sucks.

In any case I don't want this thread shut down from arguing.
Old 01-19-22, 01:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Fair enough, part of it was because I was talking about how a 2.0t isn't good tech and then that happened.

That Jag looked good, really good. But all show and no go which sucks.

In any case I don't want this thread shut down from arguing.
Thats one 2L turbo that you played with. Go play with an AMG 45S with a little 2L turbo and see how you do. Pretty much embarrass any LX at any speed.
Old 01-19-22, 01:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats one 2L turbo that you played with. Go play with an AMG 45S with a little 2L turbo and see how you do. Pretty much embarrass any LX at any speed.
I'm aware of that. 2.0L turbos still suck, though. How glorious would AMG engines be if no CAFE? That's the real question.
Old 01-19-22, 01:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm aware of that. 2.0L turbos still suck, though. How glorious would AMG engines be if no CAFE? That's the real question.
For a small car, having a 2L turbo thats tuned would be a better driving experience as they tend to be more nimble, have better fuel economy, and better packaging than having a big honking v8 stuffed in. The answer isn't always V8.
Old 01-19-22, 01:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
For a small car, having a 2L turbo thats tuned would be a better driving experience as they tend to be more nimble, have better fuel economy, and better packaging than having a big honking v8 stuffed in. The answer isn't always V8.
Lol I guess, I'd rather have the IS500 out of that class.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)