Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
If you think I'm delusional please hit ignore, sorta rude to basically call me a liar.. This chick was being totally cocky and I showed her what was up when the light turned green...trust me she was trying to race. She kept trying to catch me and beat me after that, all the way down this 4 lane road for a stretch. The point was, it was a "basic Jac 4 cylinder SUV" and she was acting like it was the full out performance version.

BTW I saw five 200 series SUVs out yesterday during about a 2 hour drive, you probably won't believe that either since you thought that was a fib too. smh.
I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying in both instances your own perception is whats driving that. She may have been driving aggressively, but actively trying to drag race you? I doubt it.

Like I said, been driving 25 years and nobody has ever tried to race me in such a way that I understood that was what they were trying to do, yet somehow all these other people driving similar cars get "challenged" all the time...might there be people out there that have "beaten" me in a race I wasn't even participating in? Possibly.
Old 01-19-22, 03:23 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a pretty big fan of V8s in general. But getting to drive the last LX 570 last year (and the 2020 Land Cruiser before that), the 5.7 feels slow compared to twin-turbo V6s. (This is based on my experience with Ford's 3.5, which is better than their 5.0 V8 in their trucks -- haven't driven the new Tundra or LX yet). Although, the 5.7 will probably last longer and require less service.

I agree on 2.0-ish turbo 4s. I own a 3.6L n/a V6 Cadillac (similar to the current IS 350 F sport, but a little more powerful and a little lighter), and a couple of times we had loaner 2.0s (other ATS sedans and the crossover) and they just feel so weak to me. (Not to hate on anyone that owns one, mind you.)

Funny enough, I have a working theory that EVs are actually a great replacement for V8 fans because they have instant low-end torque and a linear powerband that, to me at least, is most like driving a V8. And the motor components should require very little maintenance. It'll be interesting to see how they age as they become more popular.

In terms of good/bad tech, I'm a big fan of all the Apple CarPlay stuff and collision sensor systems, but worry about what it's going to be like to try to replace all these massive touchscreens out of warranty. It's not bad tech per-se, but in a world where I own two 30yo cars, I can't imagine a tablet-scale infotainment system lasting 3 decades.

Cheers.
Old 01-19-22, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Funny enough, I have a working theory that EVs are actually a great replacement for V8 fans because they have instant low-end torque and a linear powerband that, to me at least, is most like driving a V8. And the motor components should require very little maintenance. It'll be interesting to see how they age as they become more popular.
I agree with this completely.

but in a world where I own two 30yo cars, I can't imagine a tablet-scale infotainment system lasting 3 decades.
I think the reality is that we're just not building cars to last 30 years anymore. Nothing we make today lasts as long as it did or could in the past. Everything is more disposable, including cars.
Old 01-19-22, 04:11 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The North American driving mentality has gotten worse and worse. In fact, during this pandemic, police have reported more and more aggressive driving, road rage and that's already in addition to the low bar set for US and Canada drivers. Driver training is terrible here. Drivers are aggressive. It's not about this car or that truck. People in 20 year old Hyundai or Nissans will do anything to prove that they need to cut in front of you.

Even in the midst of a winter storm, you will see the usual redneck crowd with their pickups engaged in 4WD racing. So I don't dispute AJT's claim. It's truth, and he responded. No the LX is no quarter mile champ, but a Toyota V8 can hustle off the line and keep going for awhile. In fact several "hard case" types where I work treasure their Tundra 5.7's for this very reason. Yes they're idiots but they do a stressful job. Cheap jollies for small minds.
Old 01-20-22, 07:03 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The North American driving mentality has gotten worse and worse. In fact, during this pandemic, police have reported more and more aggressive driving, road rage and that's already in addition to the low bar set for US and Canada drivers. Driver training is terrible here. Drivers are aggressive. It's not about this car or that truck. People in 20 year old Hyundai or Nissans will do anything to prove that they need to cut in front of you.
It was this chick driving like a maniac, tailgating people to try to get ahead (4 lane road) but she couldn't. Somehow we ended up lined up at the next light after some of the cars exited the road, and that was that once it turned green. After I would back off (I don't keep going in situations like that), she kept trying to pass me but I wouldn't let her, hence those passing times I posted. FI slows *many* cars down big time from 5-60 and passing, that little thing included. It can look sharp as hell but it's still powered by a beehive like so many other ruined cars.

Originally Posted by MattyG
Even in the midst of a winter storm, you will see the usual redneck crowd with their pickups engaged in 4WD racing. So I don't dispute AJT's claim. It's truth, and he responded. No the LX is no quarter mile champ, but a Toyota V8 can hustle off the line and keep going for awhile. In fact several "hard case" types where I work treasure their Tundra 5.7's for this very reason. Yes they're idiots but they do a stressful job. Cheap jollies for small minds.
Never seen that in a winter storm. People slow way down here in the snow. I hope you're not saying only ignorant rednecks have a little fun every now and then, because you'd be painting half the forum as that as well as myself. Who hasn't humbled some little cocky little twit or twtiteete once in their life? LX is no 1/4 champ as you said but the acceleration around town is no joke, it moves.
Old 01-20-22, 07:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Also, can we move on please?

Embargo ends at 7am tomorrow. Some mornings I'm up before that, some not. I expect a flood of reviews though.

I still like this but other than what LX is known for (reliability, off road, will last forever) this is behind a RR.

UNLESS the 4.0tt is a secret still coming and they drop that in it perhaps that sport model, then we'll be talking. I doubt it, but then, I NEVER saw the IS500 coming but that's an old V8 that they didn't have to spend any money on.
Old 01-20-22, 12:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was this chick driving like a maniac, tailgating people to try to get ahead (4 lane road) but she couldn't. Somehow we ended up lined up at the next light after some of the cars exited the road, and that was that once it turned green. After I would back off (I don't keep going in situations like that), she kept trying to pass me but I wouldn't let her, hence those passing times I posted. FI slows *many* cars down big time from 5-60 and passing, that little thing included. It can look sharp as hell but it's still powered by a beehive like so many other ruined cars.
Sorry, but this behavior is so silly...
Old 01-20-22, 12:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

?

Embargo ends at 7am tomorrow. Some mornings I'm up before that, some not. I expect a flood of reviews though.
I predict a lukewarm response. All the Youtubers, are gonna all be there on Toyotas dime. so they will try to find something they like, they be sort of enthusiastic. . The lack of an eight cylinder engine, just killed it. The performance is very similar to the outgoing model, with somewhat better fuel economy thanks to a million gears and two less cylinders. I predict the legitimate journalists will be less than pleased.
Old 01-20-22, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't see anything here that is a dramatic improvement over the old car...
Old 01-20-22, 01:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't see anything here that is a dramatic improvement over the old car...
Same. Shame Lexus didn't become a truly global luxury brand that could warrant more freedom from Toyota. I just know with the immense talent they have products like the LX600 would be so much greater.
Old 01-20-22, 01:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I honestly don't get the disappointment behind this vehicle. Did some of you expect this to magically turn out to be LF-1 Limitless? We knew it would replace the V8 with a V6, we knew it would be based on the new Land Cruiser with the exact same wheelbase. The disappointment seams to stem not from what it is but what we wished it was. It's like wishing for the ES to suddenly become a RWD TTV6 E-Class fighter when it'll always have it roots in the Camry/Avalon.

Old 01-20-22, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
I honestly don't get the disappointment behind this vehicle. Did some of you expect this to magically turn out to be LF-1 Limitless? We knew it would have a TTV6, we knew it would be based on the new Land Cruiser. The disappointment seams to stem not from what it is but what we wished it was, and it never was what we wised for. It's like wishing for the ES to suddenly become a RWD TTV6 E-Class fighter when it'll always have it roots in the Camry/Avalon.
Even as an evolution of the Land Cruiser, I just don't see how this is a dramatic improvement.
Old 01-20-22, 01:52 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Even as an evolution of the Land Cruiser, I just don't see how this is a dramatic improvement.
I'd say it's about as much of an improvement over the old one as the new W223 S-Class to the W222 or the new Range Rover to the old one. It doesn't move the needle but it maintains the core characteristics of the outgoing model while improving the technology just enough to match the rest of the brand.

It's unrealistic to expect Lexus to turn this to into a Range Rover or X7 competitor when the LX has never been that type of vehicle.
Old 01-20-22, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'd say it's about as much of an improvement over the old one as the new W223 S-Class to the W222 or the new Range Rover to the old one. It doesn't move the needle but it maintains the core characteristics of the outgoing model while improving the technology just enough to match the rest of the brand.

It's unrealistic to expect Lexus to turn this to into a Range Rover or X7 competitor when the LX has never been that type of vehicle.
With the W223 there is a HUGE step forward in technology, and a wholesale change in approach to interior design. The Range Rover is the same way, there is a considerable change in their approach to design and an entirely new tech interface...I don't see any of that here. This car could be confused for the outgoing model inside and out. No way you would confuse the interior of the W223 for the old one or the exterior of the Range Rover for the old one.

No all new model should look like it could be 10 years old.
Old 01-20-22, 02:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

No all new model should look like it could be 10 years old.
Looking like it could "be 10 years old" is kind of the Lexus MO unfortunately. What other brand still offers a CD player in a new car across their lineup...

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)