Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22 | 02:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sorry, but this behavior is so silly...
So is claiming moral high ground over someone burning a CD.

You've never raced your car or had a little fun either?
Old 01-20-22 | 02:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'd say it's about as much of an improvement over the old one as the new W223 S-Class to the W222 or the new Range Rover to the old one. It doesn't move the needle but it maintains the core characteristics of the outgoing model while improving the technology just enough to match the rest of the brand.

It's unrealistic to expect Lexus to turn this to into a Range Rover or X7 competitor when the LX has never been that type of vehicle.
They'll still sell all of the ones they send here. Toyota isn't worried, the 300LC has a 4 year wait. No typo.

https://toyota-jp.translate.goog/lan..._x_tr_pto=wapp
Old 01-20-22 | 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looking like it could "be 10 years old" is kind of the Lexus MO unfortunately. What other brand still offers a CD player in a new car across their lineup...
Agreed

Originally Posted by AJT123
So is claiming moral high ground over someone burning a CD.
Huh?!?

You've never raced your car or had a little fun either?
I have never raced my car on a roadway no. I have driven my cars spiritedly on appropriate back roads...but street racing is juvenile and completely ridiculous.
Old 01-20-22 | 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I honestly don't get the disappointment behind this vehicle. Did some of you expect this to magically turn out to be LF-1 Limitless? We knew it would replace the V8 with a V6, we knew it would be based on the new Land Cruiser with the exact same wheelbase. The disappointment seams to stem not from what it is but what we wished it was. It's like wishing for the ES to suddenly become a RWD TTV6 E-Class fighter when it'll always have it roots in the Camry/Avalon.
problem with your thinking is that you think these roots are bad. In parts of the world where this matters, LC and LX are best selling vehicles, period, and nobody is buying Range Rovers or GLS.

People who have problem with new LX, which is huge upgrade compared to before, never wanted to buy LX. Maybe they wanted X7 or GLS or RR, but not LX.
LX outsells GLS worldwide because it is body on frame Lexus version of LC, and LC is by far the best selling body on frame SUV worldwide. LC200/150/LX/GX sell around 400k-500k per year, worldwide in past 5 years, outselling complete Land Rover brand.

So new LC and LX can only be new LC and LX, nothing else. Nobody is going to change that winning formula, just reinforce it.
Old 01-20-22 | 04:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The problem with the LX600 is that it is far too small for the North American market. The 3.5tt really doesn't cut it either. When you compare the interior to other brands, the design really isn't that great either, it is actually underwhelming TBH. For world markets the LX is a different story, also comes with a diesel version. Sadly, Toyota really dropped the ball on the LX fo US consumers, a Sequoia size version would do far better in every aspect, but still no match for the Lincoln Navigator or the Cadillac Escalade which is best in class....has a diesel, and still has a big V8
Old 01-20-22 | 04:35 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
problem with your thinking is that you think these roots are bad. In parts of the world where this matters, LC and LX are best selling vehicles, period, and nobody is buying Range Rovers or GLS.

People who have problem with new LX, which is huge upgrade compared to before, never wanted to buy LX. Maybe they wanted X7 or GLS or RR, but not LX.
LX outsells GLS worldwide because it is body on frame Lexus version of LC, and LC is by far the best selling body on frame SUV worldwide. LC200/150/LX/GX sell around 400k-500k per year, worldwide in past 5 years, outselling complete Land Rover brand.

So new LC and LX can only be new LC and LX, nothing else. Nobody is going to change that winning formula, just reinforce it.
I'd like you to provide the data that shows "LX outsells GLS worldwide" please. Lexus sold a grand total of 27K vehicles in the Middle East in 2020 (we don't have 2021 global sales data yet to my knowledge) where the LX would ideally rake in its largest numbers, while in the same year Mercedes sold 22K GLS's in the U.S. alone.

I do agree with your main point, which is the same as what I was making- that the LX at its core would never draw the attention of those looking for a Range Rover or X7, and it's unrealistic to expect it to take a quantum leap and become a rival of such vehicles with this new generation.
Old 01-20-22 | 04:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
ThCadillac Escalade which is best in class....has a diesel, and still has a big V8
668 hp Supercharged Escalade coming also. I heard/saw it accelerating it on a blog. :-)

GM is so full of baloney claiming all EV by when? CLEARLY they know people (who aren’t EV people I’d imagine) want a 700hp Escalade and they’re building it. Their goalposts will be moving, too.

Old 01-20-22 | 04:44 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

668 hp Supercharged Escalade coming also. I heard/saw it accelerating it on a blog. :-)

GM is so full of baloney claiming all EV by when? CLEARLY they know people (who aren’t EV people I’d imagine) want a 700hp Escalade and they’re building it. Their goalposts will be moving, too.
Don't jinx it now- Cadillac might just cancel it after a year like they did the Blackwing V8. You can never expect them to have consistent, competent product planning.
Old 01-20-22 | 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see where this vehicle is a huge upgrade from the previous vehicle.

I do however agree with you that the issue is the LC/LX are not designed for our market here, which is why they don't sell well. What we need is a Lexus answer to what actually does sell here, which it doesn't look like we're going to get.
Old 01-20-22 | 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I do agree with your main point, which is the same as what I was making- that the LX at its core would never draw the attention of those looking for a Range Rover or X7, and it's unrealistic to expect it to take a quantum leap and become a rival of such vehicles with this new generation.
That is the problem - you think X7 is quantum leap over LX, people who are looking for LX would never buy X7 because they consider it inferior vehicle.
And that is why they sell well in vastly different markets.

For instance, I am sure new LX will easily increase sales in USA by 50% but it will be nothing like GLS/X7/RR sales. And that is fine as it will also increase sales in Arab countries where it is often top 10 selling vehicle, and where RX/NX sell almost nothing.

It is very different vehicle.
Old 01-20-22 | 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That is the problem - you think X7 is quantum leap over LX, people who are looking for LX would never buy X7 because they consider it inferior vehicle.
And that is why they sell well in vastly different markets.

For instance, I am sure new LX will easily increase sales in USA by 50% but it will be nothing like GLS/X7/RR sales. And that is fine as it will also increase sales in Arab countries where it is often top 10 selling vehicle, and where RX/NX sell almost nothing.

It is very different vehicle.
The issue is, Lexus could sell 30-60k of the right product here a year (assuming a smaller X5 size and a larger X7 size), but they don't want to do that.

X7 is a quantum leap over the LX in this particular market.
Old 01-20-22 | 05:37 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

GM didn't commit to being all-electric until 2035, Cadillac by 2030.
Old 01-20-22 | 05:59 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Excellent post !
Old 01-21-22 | 05:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
GM didn't commit to being all-electric until 2035, Cadillac by 2030.
If you read the fine print, it's a goal. Not an all out commitment. So they're gonna sell a 700hp Escalade that everyone will drool over starting in what, '23 or '24 and some lucky folks will buy, then just kill it four years later and say "enjoy your batteries"? I don't think so.

Again, Toyota isn't worried about US LX sales, they sell enough here. They're just huge cash cows, hence why they send the LX over here.

There's a 4 year wait for the 300. That may be the longest wait I've ever heard of for a regular production vehicle. LC300 is already sold out, too sold out to even sell like hotcakes lol.
Old 01-21-22 | 05:56 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Embargo is over. So far, meh reviews. Disappointing. No test numbers either.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-lx600-review/

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)