Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 09:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can't believe the Digital Rearview Mirror is only available on the top
Four zone used to be standard too. Now it’s an extra cost option

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
however, the lx has tow hooks.
That’s good
Old 01-21-22, 09:43 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The digital rear view mirror surprises me too. I'm mean, my parents' RAV4 has that.
It's also an individual option on the LS500. No idea why it isn't the same with the LX when it needs that mirror more than the LS.
Old 01-21-22, 11:01 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the new suspension was air, not hydraulic? Sofyan said "air" but amended it in the video to be hydraulic.

Old 01-21-22, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

It always was hydraulic so hopefully it still is
Old 01-21-22, 11:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I thought it was air too, but I think I was wrong.

Motor Trend:

The Active Height Control hydraulic suspension, which offers four ground clearance settings starting with Low, for passenger entry and exit, then lifting to Normal, Hi1, and Hi2 for off-roading. Lexus says the system is faster-acting than before.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...t-look-review/

Road and Track:
As before, the LX 600 uses Lexus' Active Height Control (AHC) suspension system, which uses hydraulics for ride height adjustment. There are four ride height settings—Low (for passenger access), Normal, High 1, and High 2.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...-lexus-lx-600/

Toyota/Lexus press release:

While ride height is still adjusted through the use of shock absorbers, gas and hydraulic springs and metal springs, a spring rate switching device – which was previously only used for the front wheels – is now used for the rear wheels as well, reducing the time needed to adjust ride height. There are three settings for vehicle height while the vehicle is in motion (Normal, Hi1 and Hi2) and a Low setting for passenger ingress and egress.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301399361.html
Old 01-21-22, 11:18 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Per the Lexus press release, it is indeed hydraulic.
Old 01-21-22, 11:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Per the Lexus press release, it is indeed hydraulic.
But not standard, which sucks. It always has been standard and trust me, it’s a biggie. AHC never gets old.

Then I see they dropped the 4 zone climate as standard? For $85,000? WTF were they thinking? The 200 is one vehicle that really did have a true 4 zone climate, 28 air vents.
Old 01-21-22, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$85,000 is cheap…4 zone climate doesn’t need to be standard IMO
Old 01-21-22, 11:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
$85,000 is cheap…4 zone climate doesn’t need to be standard IMO
$85,000 is cheap?

Why not? It was standard before.
Old 01-21-22, 12:39 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

AHC should be standard across each trim or worst case make it an option on any trim level. Can only get AHC on upper trims 👎

I like the 18” wheels the best. One review I watched on You Tube said the 18” definitely rode better.

Definitely want to test drive one at some point. I would guess Premium or Luxury trim for me, if I were a serious buyer. 🤷‍♂️

Old 01-21-22, 01:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
$85,000 is cheap?

Lexus did their best effort to keep the base price flat. Some things would have to go unfortunately. otherwise the price would really jump like it did in 2007/20008 which was close to 10%
Old 01-21-22, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$85,000 is cheap?

in 2022 in this class, yes. Like Jill said above, in order to hold the line on base pricing some things have to give.

4 zone climate control is an option on basically everything else. My S560 at $120k doesn’t have it.

Old 01-21-22, 01:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mbarron37
AHC should be standard across each trim or worst case make it an option on any trim level. Can only get AHC on upper trims 👎

I like the 18” wheels the best. One review I watched on You Tube said the 18” definitely rode better.

Definitely want to test drive one at some point. I would guess Premium or Luxury trim for me, if I were a serious buyer. 🤷‍♂️
Yes and like I thought I read, I think the one they plan or want to sell the most of here you can't get AHC period. Huge mistake.
Old 01-21-22, 03:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes and like I thought I read, I think the one they plan or want to sell the most of here you can't get AHC period. Huge mistake.
Lexus did add air at all four wheels. They have added stuff, but the price is gonna increase if you make too many things standard. Usually car companies delete things as time goes by with new models, or they find a way to remove quality things, but the increase content in place.

Wanna talk shop? And fine tuning of detail?

one thing that I always admired was the LX470 engine cover., it was four different colours, it was black, silver, red, and chrome with the Lexus logo. It was also screwed in as crazy as that sounds, you needed to use tools to remove it. That to me was fine attention to detail; The red 4700 part put it over the top for me. But they even went further by venting in…Then with Lexus 570 they went to a fixed piece one unit. No more vents. One colour. No longer screwed it as it just pops off. New 600 added twin turbo badge.

on the other hand, where the 570 and 600 lack as much detail to the engine cover it made up with more plastic cladding to cover up many exposed part of the engine bay.

so you swap something really cool in in 470 details for something else in the 570 or 600. To maintain the level of detail in the 470, but add more will just continue to increase the price point.

here are some pictures.

They also added in the 2UZ-FE sticker for good measure

I will have to see the LX600 in person to see where they added in place of delete. But I am positive they added some nice details.

Originally Posted by MPalmer
I, but worry about what it's going to be like to try to replace all these massive touchscreens out of warranty. It's not bad tech per-se, but in a world where I own two 30yo cars, I can't imagine a tablet-scale infotainment system lasting 3 decades.
Some great points about the longevity of lassoing 3 decades or the replacement costs. On the other hand, the screens in the earlier Lexus models with the accompanying hard mechanical buttons, CD players etc and optitron gauges likely were the same sort of cost/longevity ratio back in the day. My guess is the new screens like in the LX600 might not cost as much in comparison to those older designs in the past.

Something I did notice with the LX600. Is that Lexus embedded the touch start button into the screen. Screen, radio turner and starter all in one unit. Some slick and contemporary packaging IMO..

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-21-22 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 05:32 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Some interesting tidbits about who Lexus think the LX600 is for, from the recent Jalopnik review. Lexus expects the LX to remain a niche product but also expect it to be, unlike what some people claimed, a legitimate Range Rover sales stealer. Lexus also seems to think that they won't be winning over many former Land Cruiser owners because they expect the base trim to have an even lower take rate compared to the rest of the trims.

As you can probably tell by now, I generally liked the new LX 600. I won’t go as far as to say I fell in love with it, but it’s a good luxury SUV and far better than the LX 570 it replaces. At the same time, it’s hard to imagine how many buyers out there actually want to spend six figures on a luxury off-roader. And for those who do have the money, will they really want an LX?

The people I talked to at Lexus didn’t appear to be under any delusions about the LX 600 having mass-market appeal. They also pointed out that it’s an SUV that will be sold all over the world, meaning U.S. sales aren’t their only priority. Which is good because if I’m thinking about markets where the LX 600 makes the most sense, they’re not the U.S.

Unsurprisingly, they also named the Land Rover Range Rover as the SUV they’re most focused on stealing sales from. After that, it’s the Infiniti QX80 and the Mercedes-Benz GLS. Of the three, the QX80 buyer seems like the easiest conquest. Styling aside, it lines up the best with the LX on paper, and I don’t remember the Infiniti’s seats being nearly as comfortable. I could also see disaffected Range Rover buyers jumping ship for something that should be much more reliable. GLS buyers, on the other hand, seem like they’ll be much harder to get.

Interestingly, one of the people I spoke to said they aren’t particularly focused on the Mercedes-Benz G 550. Apparently, the $50,000-ish difference in base price puts G-Wagen buyers out of Lexus’s target demographic.

“But wait,” you might be thinking. “What about the Ultra-Luxury trim? $126,000 is pretty close to the G-Wagen’s base price. Shouldn’t that make it a tempting alternative?”

In theory, yes. But I also think the Lexus employee had a point. Mostly because the LX 600 Ultra-Luxury isn’t simply the fanciest version you can buy. It’s actually a four-seater aimed at buyers with a chauffeur. The setup is similar to the reclining back seats found in the LS 500 that we tested recently, although in the LX, you get a footrest that folds down from the front passenger seat for even more luxury. While plenty nice at lower price points, I’m also not sure the interior materials will be nice enough to draw in the kind of buyer who can afford a driver. At least in the U.S.

According to the numbers Lexus gave me, I’m probably not the only one who thought the LX 600 Ultra-Luxury will struggle to sell here. It currently expects about 90 percent of its sales to come from the Premium, F Sport and Luxury trims, leaving only a small number of buyers interested in the fully loaded four-seater.

The other thing that’s interesting about that breakdown is how few people Lexus thinks will actually buy the base model. That’s the one that’s supposed to attract Toyota Land Cruiser orphans. Even if you assume the base model will take the vast majority of that remaining 10 percent, based on recent sales numbers, that could mean Toyota’s leaving thousands of Land Cruiser buyers on the table every year with its decision to stop selling it here. What I suspect, though, is that Land Cruiser buyers willing to make the jump to Lexus will probably be interested in one of the higher trims. After all, if you can reasonably afford to spend $87,000 on a luxury SUV, what’s another $10,000 or $15,000?

Last edited by Motorola; 01-21-22 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)