Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22 | 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Like that Rugged Edition pic above? That looks like a cool option for off-roaders.
I don't see any pic. But the one at Toronto was a Lexus model with off road and camping add ons.
Old 01-29-22 | 11:35 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Here are the pics from a few days ago.

Originally Posted by 703

And the OEM Rugged edition called "Jaos"

Old 01-29-22 | 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Here are the pics from a few days ago.
Thx. That is nice version I know there already is an off road version in Japan. Front, middle and rear locking diffs. Crazy to think the US use to have a LX with triple lockers all the way back in 2002 ....then they were deleted out.
Old 01-30-22 | 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so i watched this redline review and it just seemed filled with errors and inconsistencies. didn't help he seemed to be in multiple trim level vehicles.

endless mention of 'air suspension', corrected a couple of times in video and then mention of no AVS on a model but how it rides better in 'comfort' mode made no sense. don't all LX600's have AVS?

also, you guys can help me here - the hydraulic ride height system, i assume that only adjusts ride height for clearance, ease of in/out, and for better highway aero, but it doesn't actually improve ride quality, does it?

Old 01-30-22 | 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

also, you guys can help me here - the hydraulic ride height system, i assume that only adjusts ride height for clearance, ease of in/out, and for better highway aero, but it doesn't actually improve ride quality, does it?

https://youtu.be/zSId2ci1lwE

The previous versions of the LX the hydraulic suspension would help with ride. There was no air. Comfort or normal mode was available

so i watched this redline review and it just seemed filled with errors and inconsistencies. didn't help he seemed to be in multiple trim level vehicles.

L
it is because he is a You Tuber. This is not real auto journalism. Also….these YY influencer outsource most of their editing to cheap developing countries where the editing is done remote and off shore

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-30-22 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-30-22 | 08:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The previous versions of the LX the hydraulic suspension would help with ride. There was no air. Comfort or normal mode was available
the comfort and normal could come from electronically adjustable dampers, not hydraulics. ?

it is because he is a You Tuber. This is not real auto journalism. Also….these YY influencer outsource most of their editing to cheap developing countries where the editing is done remote and off shore
thanks but i don't believe you know what redline specifically is doing. and many youtubers like marques brownlee have a full time team and massive studio.

youtube is the new journalism. and just like old journalism, there's crap and there's excellence.
Old 01-30-22 | 08:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

the comfort and normal could come from electronically adjustable dampers, not hydraulics. ?
It would be electronic...but the whole suspension with Toyota for the LX470/570 did all the adjustments with the hydraulic system, fluids and everything..but micro chips and electronics control it . . Toyota Supra was like that back in the day as well. Toyota adaptive variable suspension actually dates back to Toyota's in 1984...Toyota had all this technology 40 years ago... both my 4Rs have a hydraulic suspension (but no AVS)

New LX600 options are:
No AVS
AVS
AVS + Air.

Your LC500? hmmmm I'd be interested to know how that is set up.

thanks but i don't believe you know what redline specifically is doing. and many youtubers like marques brownlee have a full time team and massive studio.

youtube is the new journalism. and just like old journalism, there's crap and there's excellence.
For sure. But real journalism has fact checkers...sources, editors etc etc. Hopefully these You Tubers have some sort of degree, diploma or some basic form of credential.

Sounds more like a production company making amateur entertainment.

I do enjoy these videos BTW.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-30-22 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-30-22 | 03:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It would be electronic...but the whole suspension with Toyota for the LX470/570 did all the adjustments with the hydraulic system, fluids and everything..but micro chips and electronics control it . . Toyota Supra was like that back in the day as well. Toyota adaptive variable suspension actually dates back to Toyota's in 1984...Toyota had all this technology 40 years ago... both my 4Rs have a hydraulic suspension (but no AVS)
yes it all has to be electronically controlled for any kind of modes of adaptive capability.

i do not believe the hydraulics play any role in ride comfort/stiffness, just ride height, but that's why i'm asking.

on your 4runners, do you mean they have x-reas? that's hydraulics that connect the front left to rear right and front right to rear left...

i've attached an old manual (2003 4runner!) explains options and features on pg's 13-15.

some 4runners have rear air too, i guess for load leveling.

New LX600 options are:
No AVS
AVS
AVS + Air.
my understanding is the LX600's do NOT have ANY air option. so i think that last option is AVS + EHC (electronic height control, which is hydraulic).

to show how confused everyone is, this 'tech person' DEALER video says the LX570 has an air suspension as he demonstrates the hydraulic ride height adjustment.

Your LC500? hmmmm I'd be interested to know how that is set up.
electronically controlled AVS through various drive modes. certainly no air or hydraulics. i've not spent enough time to try to see if i can actually notice any difference in 'comfort' vs 'sport+' modes for examples but i'm sure there is.
Attached Files

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-30-22 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-30-22 | 03:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

There's also a sport setting.

Bit, AHC helps tremendously with ride.

I thought the whole "comfort, sport, normal" was going to be COMPLETE bull**** but you can tell a difference, I can't explain it but I like all of the settings. Sport actually firms up the steering, though there's nothing remotely sporty about it....but it's still fun to drive bc of the V8 and aggressive gearing. Comfort is the most plush (obviously) with most rebound. Each setting the ride is excellent, though, for what it is. It rides silky like a proper Lexus should.
Old 01-30-22 | 03:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Bit, AHC helps tremendously with ride.

I thought the whole "comfort, sport, normal" was going to be COMPLETE bull**** but you can tell a difference, I can't explain it but I like all of the settings. Sport actually firms up the steering, though there's nothing remotely sporty about it....but it's still fun to drive bc of the V8 and aggressive gearing. Comfort is the most plush (obviously) with most rebound. Each setting the ride is excellent, though, for what it is. It rides silky like a proper Lexus should.
i believe that's all to do with electronically controlled DAMPERS (shocks) that can vary the resistance (i.e., stiffness) and probably rebound amount (shock travel).

but hey, i could be wrong.
Old 01-30-22 | 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

yes it all has to be electronically controlled for any kind of modes of adaptive capability.

i do not believe the hydraulics play any role in ride comfort/stiffness, just ride height, but that's why i'm asking..
They have to. The shock absorbers use hydraulic oil, pressure and gas. The electronic part just operates it.

i do not believe the hydraulics play any role in ride comfort/stiffness, just ride height, but that's why i'm asking.

on your 4runners, do you mean they have x-reas? that's hydraulics that connect the front left to rear right and front right to rear left...

i've attached an old manual (2003 4runner!) explains options and features on pg's 13-15.

some 4runners have rear air too, i guess for load leveling.
Yes. Both my SUVs have Xreas. So there is almost no body roll on a turn. The vehicle almost turns flat. Air on the rear only on the old one but I have removed it n

Old 01-31-22 | 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i believe that's all to do with electronically controlled DAMPERS (shocks) that can vary the resistance (i.e., stiffness) and probably rebound amount (shock travel).

but hey, i could be wrong.
You are correct. The Hydraulic system manages the load of the vehicle, and the changes in ride height per corner, but the changes between COMFORT and SPORT etc is all in the dampers, the hydraulic system has nothing to do with it. The same is true of air suspensions.

Hydraulic systems adapt much more quickly than air systems, thats why they are used over air.
Old 01-31-22 | 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You are correct. The Hydraulic system manages the load of the vehicle, and the changes in ride height per corner, but the changes between COMFORT and SPORT etc is all in the dampers, the hydraulic system has nothing to do with it. The same is true of air suspensions.
that last part definitely threw me. i thought air suspension parts replace dampers but maybe it's the springs per this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_suspension

edit: noted this part is interesting (and confusing ):
The air suspension designs from Lincoln, Land Rover, SsangYong, Chrysler, Subaru, Audi, Volkswagen, Tesla, Porsche, and Lexus models feature height adjustable suspension suitable for making it easier to enter the vehicle, clear bumps, or clear rough terrain. The Lincoln Continental, Town Car, Navigator and Mark VIII also featured an air suspension system which offered a controlled but smooth ride. Jaguar and Porsche has taken this to the next level on their XJ and Panamera models, with a system that changes the spring rate and damping settings, among other changes, for their sport/track modes.

Hydraulic systems adapt much more quickly than air systems, thats why they are used over air.
for ride height, yes, and hydraulic's typically more robust.

perhaps i'm unclear if the lx600 has a true "hydraulic suspension" vs just having the hydraulics for the EHC (electronic height control) feature? since ehc is optional, i guess this would be answered if all lx600's have hydraulics whether wit ehc or not!?
Old 01-31-22 | 01:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

that last part definitely threw me. i thought air suspension parts replace dampers but maybe it's the springs per this:
The adjustable ride characteristics are always dampers/spring rates. The air components replace the actual shock/strut unit itself but it still had adaptive dampers if the suspension is adaptive. Old air suspension systems had no adaptive dampers, for instance the air suspensions in our LS400 and LS430 as well as the one in the Lincoln and on my old Explorer had air suspension but no adaptive ride characteristics. Just load leveling and height control.

For instance with Mercedes, my S560 has Airmatic, which is an air suspension. If you get Magic Body Control or ABC or e-ABC, those are hydraulic suspensions. The air takes too long to adapt the suspension in the ways those systems do.

But comfort vs sport, they don't "soften" the air strut or "firm" the air strut, its all in the dampers. The air system does react to load to level out the car's ride. But in order to say, pump up one side of the suspension to react to turn heaving or front and rear squat/dive, you need a hydraulic suspension.

perhaps i'm unclear if the lx600 has a true "hydraulic suspension" vs just having the hydraulics for the EHC (electronic height control) feature? since ehc is optional, i guess this would be answered if all lx600's have hydraulics whether wit ehc or not!?
Previous versions of the LX did indeed have a true hydraulic suspension...not sure about the LX600.
Old 01-31-22 | 01:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for trying to help.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)