Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 01:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe that's all to do with electronically controlled DAMPERS (shocks) that can vary the resistance (i.e., stiffness) and probably rebound amount (shock travel).

but hey, i could be wrong.
It does, you're not wrong. It's just the "cush" comes from fluid, not air. LX570 fully hydraulic.

Hydraulic is also much more robust than air, as also noted. I fully expect 300k+ out of mine with regular fluid changes. I would be a little weary buying a used car on air.
Old 01-31-22, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It does, you're not wrong. It's just the "cush" comes from fluid, not air. LX570 fully hydraulic.

Hydraulic is also much more robust than air, as also noted. I fully expect 300k+ out of mine with regular fluid changes. I would be a little weary buying a used car on air.
There's not really a "cush" that comes from fluid VS air. Normal shock absorbers are suspended by fluid. The reason hydraulic systems exist has nothing to do with comfort over air, it has everything to do with how quickly changes can be made to the struts.

And hydraulic systems have just as many potential drawbacks as air. Mercedes air suspensions for instance are WAY more reliable than their hydraulic suspensions.
Old 01-31-22, 01:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

This is untrue.
Old 01-31-22, 02:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The adjustable ride characteristics are always dampers/spring rates. The air components replace the actual shock/strut unit itself but it still had adaptive dampers if the suspension is adaptive. Old air suspension systems had no adaptive dampers, for instance the air suspensions in our LS400 and LS430 as well as the one in the Lincoln and on my old Explorer had air suspension but no adaptive ride characteristics. Just load leveling and height control.

For instance with Mercedes, my S560 has Airmatic, which is an air suspension. If you get Magic Body Control or ABC or e-ABC, those are hydraulic suspensions. The air takes too long to adapt the suspension in the ways those systems do.

But comfort vs sport, they don't "soften" the air strut or "firm" the air strut, its all in the dampers. The air system does react to load to level out the car's ride. But in order to say, pump up one side of the suspension to react to turn heaving or front and rear squat/dive, you need a hydraulic suspension.

Previous versions of the LX did indeed have a true hydraulic suspension...not sure about the LX600.
E-ABC is a bit of a different animal. It overlays the air suspension with some hydraulic components. All e-ABC vehicles have air suspension and adaptive dampers. The fun part is that it adds an electrohydraulic pump to each damper along with a system of valves that control fluid above and below the piston in the damper. e-ABC lifts the body by putting more pressure in the damper's lower chamber and lowers it by putting more pressure in the damper's upper chamber. It does this continuously at each corner to counteract body motion. It can effectively control the damper and spring rates individually at each wheel.
Old 01-31-22, 02:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

There's not really a "cush" that comes from fluid VS air. Normal shock absorbers are suspended by fluid.
Didn't know that.

And hydraulic systems have just as many potential drawbacks as air. Mercedes air suspensions for instance are WAY more reliable than their hydraulic suspensions.
That may be, but I'm not worried in the slightest about a hydraulic suspension in an LX. I am aware that at least older Mercedes hydraulic systems were disastrous, the ABC. However the old OLD 600 Pullman had hydraulics that operated EVERYTHING including the windows and I believe that was pretty robust if kept up. That was in the 1960s FWIW.

Lexus told Motor Trend their AHC is the most advanced in the world, at least at the time of the article published. Sorta hearsay-ish, but still. That whole article basically showcases how overbuilt the 200LX was.

Lexus claims the self-leveling hydraulic suspension is the most sophisticated on Earth. I don't know about the "on Earth" part, but the LX 570's ride is quite plush, and the 6,109-pound monster is more than happy to attack a corner. Climb underneath and you can see two green hydraulic spheres (just like a Citroën!) protected by what looks like two anti-roll bars with the end links cut off. The hydraulic dampers — assisted by steel springs — are the major point of departure between the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...70-first-test/
Old 01-31-22, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That may be, but I'm not worried in the slightest about a hydraulic suspension in an LX. I am aware that at least older Mercedes hydraulic systems were disastrous, the ABC. However the old OLD 600 Pullman had hydraulics that operated EVERYTHING including the windows and I believe that was pretty robust if kept up. That was in the 1960s FWIW.
The hydraulic suspensions in the LX do fail...

And those old 600s, talk to some people that have restored them lol, those hydraulic systems are a NIGHTMARE. Jay Leno did a video about his 600 and restoring it, you should watch it.

Lexus told Motor Trend their AHC is the most advanced in the world, at least at the time of the article published. Sorta hearsay-ish, but still. That whole article basically showcases how overbuilt the 200LX was.
They are full of it. The "most sophisticated on earth"? Read Tango Red's description of e-ABC above lol. Its actually quite rudimentary.
Old 01-31-22, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A quick search of the LX570 forums returned multiple threads of failures, the most recent one was quoted from Lexus $29,000 to repair lol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...to-repair.html

Unlike an air suspension failure, a hydraulic failure also spills all the fluid out which ruins your garage floor or driveway.

The bottom line is, both air and hydraulic suspensions are less reliable than standard coil suspensions and have a MUCH more dramatic cost to repair.
Old 01-31-22, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is the LX570 info. Hydraulic pressure and fluid absolutely have a roll in the ride, cornering and firmness of the suspension.
Spoiler

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AHC Suspension.pdf (634.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 01-31-22, 03:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

A quick search of the LX570 forums returned multiple threads of failures, the most recent one was quoted from Lexus $29,000 to repair lol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...to-repair.html

Unlike an air suspension failure, a hydraulic failure also spills all the fluid out which ruins your garage floor or driveway.

The bottom line is, both air and hydraulic suspensions are less reliable than standard coil suspensions and have a MUCH more dramatic cost to repair.
Of course some have failed, just like any other vehicle sometimes things fail, but it's not a "common issue". I could pull up what you did for basically any vehicle. You picking the $29,000 repair is quite an egregious example. But AHC in general is known to be very reliable and durable. I could direct you to tons of links on IH8MUD that suggest the opposite, endless. Change the fluid every 60k. Many times problems arise from it when people work on it who don't know what they're doing.

I wouldn't want to RESTORE a 600 but at the time, the hydraulics were revolutionary and durable from what I remember.

I don't ever anticipate having any suspension problems for the life of this vehicle (will report if I do), so I'm not sold the suspension is markedly "less reliable"....but the bolded part of your sentence I absolutely agree with.

Edit: Here is a link that lays it all out for any 200/AHC fan but you need to scroll down a dozen posts or so. Diagrams and everything.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ahc...#post-12565137

Last edited by AJT123; 01-31-22 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-31-22, 04:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Yet again…..
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
2022 lx600 is the thread topic folks
Old 01-31-22, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here is the LX570 info. Hydraulic pressure and fluid absolutely have a roll in the ride, cornering and firmness of the suspension.

Assuming the system on the 600 is the same, this describes exactly what I was describing. The hydraulic system absolutely does impact pressure and can be adapted quickly to counteract body roll, lean and pitch and dive when braking. Thats why the system is hydraulic vs air. The air suspension cant change the pressure in the struts fast enough to accomplish that.

BUT, when you select between comfort, normal and sport the hydraulic suspension is not softening the pressure in the struts, its the dampers that are firming up or loosening up. From the article:
The optimum damping force can be obtained by controlling the damping force control actuators arranged on each of the wheels in accordance with the manual switch operation and driving conditions.
Just driving along, a hydraulic suspension is not going to be "cushier" than an air suspension...thats not the point.
Of course some have failed, just like any other vehicle sometimes things fail, but it's not a "common issue". I could pull up what you did for basically any vehicle. You picking the $29,000 repair is quite an egregious example. But AHC in general is known to be very reliable and durable. I could direct you to tons of links on IH8MUD that suggest the opposite, endless. Change the fluid every 60k. Many times problems arise from it when people work on it who don't know what they're doing.
Its just never going to be as foolproof and reliable as ordinary struts. Air or hydraulic, if you want long term reliability and ease of repair, best to avoid both air and hydraulic suspensions. Thats one of the reasons why you don't see that system on the Land Cruisers that are sold in the Middle East and other harsh locations.

With that said, I have told people over and over again the air suspension is worth the risk...I would say the same about the AHC but it absolutely does increase risk of a costly repair. You gotta pay to play.
Old 01-31-22, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i think it would greatly improve this thread if someone would sit and drive this vehicle, and report back to us.
Old 01-31-22, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would love to do so but its impossible right now, there aren't any to sit in or drive. I saw it in person at the DC car show but it was locked.

To add, the grille is not overpowering in person
Old 01-31-22, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Its just never going to be as foolproof and reliable as ordinary struts. Air or hydraulic, if you want long term reliability and ease of repair, best to avoid both air and hydraulic suspensions. Thats one of the reasons why you don't see that system on the Land Cruisers that are sold in the Middle East and other harsh locations.
You actually could get Land Cruisers with adaptive variable suspension like in the LX in overseas markets. New one as well has it. The Land Cruisers everywhere had hydraulic KDSS which could disconnect based on fluids….but that had their own can of worms as well. Outgoing Sequoai used hydraulics as well. And 2006-2007 Land Cruiser used the same suspension as the LX470. You’re right though long term,..best to avoid but I would never repair the system at year 10 or 15, I would just put in a regular system. The new Land Cruisers have gone to an electric KDSS system today.
Old 01-31-22, 06:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You actually could get Land Cruisers with adaptive variable suspension like in the LX in overseas markets. New one as well has it. The Land Cruisers everywhere had hydraulic KDSS which could disconnect based on fluids….but that had their own can of worms as well. Outgoing Sequoai used hydraulics as well. And 2006-2007 Land Cruiser used the same suspension as the LX470. You’re right though long term,..best to avoid but I would never repair the system at year 10 or 15, I would just put in a regular system. The new Land Cruisers have gone to an electric KDSS system today.
Yes, AHC is every bit as tough as anything on the LC. All of it, every LX/LC component goes through the same backbreaking, ridiculous reliability testing that other Toyotas don't get. If you just leave it alone and change the fluid, it'll last a very long time.

It does place modders at a potential disadvantage, though, because when you jack an LX up with lifts and change wheel sizes etc. the AHC can get complicated with sensor lifts and what not (which changes the OEM-engineered pump operation among other things...gets tricky). So that's one reason the hard core off roaders choose LC. That said, I've seen absolutely RIDICULOUS obstacles LXs chew up and spit out.

I wish they kept is as standard on this new LX. I still like it but wish it had a little more exciting engine and didn't lose some of the other standard features that it had. I do look forward to a nice comparo test soon. How awesome would it be if Toyota didn't cancel V8 development? What a shame.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)