Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 09:43 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The BOF design definitely hurts the ride IRS or not. If you drive a Navigator or Escalade and then say a GLS or Range Rover, the ride differences are very clear. Its why I would never buy one of these BOF luxury SUVs unless I had to tow a lot. No reason to take the tradeoff...
A solid rear axle will feel like goo regardless of whether it's BOF. The rear end will always feel like it wants to take off no matter how much engineering is put behind the suspension and regardless of the brand. I don't just mean relative to a Range Rover, I mean even compared to a basic FWD crossover like a Highlander. A Navigator won't ride as well as the Range Rover but it'll sure outdo a Highlander, which is more than can be said about any vehicle with a solid rear axle.

Again, why Toyota designed this platform exclusively to have only a solid rear axle makes zero sense aside from cutting costs, which is generally the absolute worst excuse when most vehicles it's used on are around $60K+.
Old 03-04-22, 10:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Solid rear axle is there because this vehicle’s DNA is a tough 4WD truck first and foremost.

Minus fuel economy which most owners don’t care about this V6 is in no way better than the old 5.7. As Jill said, performance is a wash. Yes I appreciate the better mpg but when you put your foot down and hear and feel the noises it’s worth it, at least to me.

Lots and LOTS of people hold onto these and Land Cruisers forever (despite low sales) so long term reliability does count here. The most complex thing the 5.7 had was oil actuated VVT-I. It’s all government CAFE crap that stuck us with this. I can’t even imagine the V8 it would have otherwise.
Old 03-04-22, 10:21 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
Solid rear axle is there because this vehicle’s DNA is a tough 4WD truck first and foremost.
Not with the absolute rubbish departure angles on this LX. And when it comes to towing, Lincoln managed to get the Navigator to tow around 500 pounds more even with the independent rear suspension.

Last edited by Motorola; 03-04-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 10:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Not with the absolute rubbish departure angles on this LX. And when it comes to towing, Lincoln managed to get the Navigator to tow around 500 pounds more even with the independent rear suspension.
They’re only rubbish bc they’re sent here where 1% of them will even leave the pavement and there’s superfluous exterior BS that compromises said angles. Do you know what those numbers are?
Old 03-04-22, 10:55 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

They’re only rubbish bc they’re sent here where 1% of them will even leave the pavement and there’s superfluous exterior BS that compromises said angles. Do you know what those numbers are?
25 degree approach angle and 20 degree departure angle. Meanwhile its Land Cruiser sibling has a 32 degree approach angle and 24 degree departure angle.

Even a BMW X5, which isn't advertised as an SUV, has better numbers (25 degree approach angle, 24 degree departure angle).
Old 03-04-22, 11:58 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

25 degree approach angle and 20 degree departure angle. Meanwhile its Land Cruiser sibling has a 32 degree approach angle and 24 degree departure angle.

Even a BMW X5, which isn't advertised as an SUV, has better numbers (25 degree approach angle, 24 degree departure angle).
Yes, those aren't impressive numbers. I do have to counter on another thing you said:

A solid rear axle will feel like goo regardless of whether it's BOF. The rear end will always feel like it wants to take off no matter how much engineering is put behind the suspension and regardless of the brand. I don't just mean relative to a Range Rover, I mean even compared to a basic FWD crossover like a Highlander. A Navigator won't ride as well as the Range Rover but it'll sure outdo a Highlander, which is more than can be said about any vehicle with a solid rear axle.

Again, why Toyota designed this platform exclusively to have only a solid rear axle makes zero sense aside from cutting costs, which is generally the absolute worst excuse when most vehicles it's used on are around $60K+.
I noticed this yesterday. As I've brought up there is a 2015 Enclave in my family. NOTHING to write home about now, but that gen Enclave was very highly praised for its smooth ride and quietness. The ride quality isn't even close to my LX after driving it yesterday. Yes, you'll get some BOF judders in a LX sometimes but overall, not even close. The AHC really helps here. I'd love to drive a LC and check the difference in ride. FWIW this thing has a total truck suspension with a solid axle. If you floor it there is some squat but it's nothing irritating, certainly nothing like "taking off". LX is quite lovely to drive if you like trucks at least.
Old 03-04-22, 12:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, those aren't impressive numbers. I do have to counter on another thing you said:

I noticed this yesterday. As I've brought up there is a 2015 Enclave in my family. NOTHING to write home about now, but that gen Enclave was very highly praised for its smooth ride and quietness. The ride quality isn't even close to my LX after driving it yesterday. Yes, you'll get some BOF judders in a LX sometimes but overall, not even close. The AHC really helps here. I'd love to drive a LC and check the difference in ride. FWIW this thing has a total truck suspension with a solid axle. If you floor it there is some squat but it's nothing irritating, certainly nothing like "taking off". LX is quite lovely to drive if you like trucks at least.
You have one. I will take your opinion over someone who doesn’t lol. Also, Toyota has a LX600 off road version. 3 lockers. Just not available in the US. Yet.
Old 03-04-22, 12:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Have you ever been driven in the back seat of your LX, above the solid axle? AHC and air suspension may mitigate some of the harshness and wobbliness of a solid axle but it can't mask physics. The Buick may not have hydraulic suspension but I would trust it to take a sharp corner without making the rear passengers want to throw up.
Old 03-04-22, 01:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Have you ever been driven in the back seat of your LX, above the solid axle? AHC and air suspension may mitigate some of the harshness and wobbliness of a solid axle but it can't mask physics. The Buick may not have hydraulic suspension but I would trust it to take a sharp corner without making the rear passengers want to throw up.
I like riding in the back just as much as the front, maybe even more. The overall ride is very plush. Our friends drove us around Chattanooga for an hour or two and we rode in back. No complaints about wobbles or harshness. But yes, there are some BOF traits like small jitters over certain bumps. But truck people won’t care. It’s a hoot to drive, really is.
Old 03-04-22, 01:11 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

My friends say nothing but nice things about the LX. I wouldn't be surprised. IMO once up running, the GX is already very nice freeway cruiser. So the LX should be.
Old 03-04-22, 01:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
My friends say nothing but nice things about the LX. I wouldn't be surprised. IMO once up running, the GX is already very nice freeway cruiser. So the LX should be.
I finally had alone drive time in a 2020 GX, it's lovely as well. Nice and quiet, great ride. Feels like a mini-LX. It absolutely feels like the proper tank it is but it's just not bossy and big like an LX, things I like. Had much better pickup than I thought it would, though the 5.7 is stronger in LX.

LX has great freeway ride but it doesn't track quite like a luxury sedan, or my LS430. It's good enough, though. I can't wait to take it all over the place.
Old 03-04-22, 01:56 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I finally had alone drive time in a 2020 GX, it's lovely as well. Nice and quiet, great ride. Feels like a mini-LX. It absolutely feels like the proper tank it is but it's just not bossy and big like an LX, things I like. Had much better pickup than I thought it would, though the 5.7 is stronger in LX.
LX has great freeway ride but it doesn't track quite like a luxury sedan, or my LS430. It's good enough, though. I can't wait to take it all over the place.
This is why I've never test driven the LX. We thought hard about getting LX because of many nice compliments. But from the feedback it seems like this is where it came down. We had enough time with the GX and decided no on the LX. If you switch to manual, the GX is not bad (responsive) to the gas pedal. And that V8 start up can wake some up It's just too much for me to use as a daily. Other than that, it's a nice family hauler and more IMO.
Old 03-04-22, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

p It's just too much for me to use as a daily. Other than that, it's a nice family hauler and more IMO.
Both my SUVs are like this. Not the best daily driver, but excellent secondary vehicles. Very robust and strong.
Old 03-04-22, 02:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

This is why I've never test driven the LX. We thought hard about getting LX because of many nice compliments. But from the feedback it seems like this is where it came down. We had enough time with the GX and decided no on the LX. If you switch to manual, the GX is not bad (responsive) to the gas pedal. And that V8 start up can wake some up It's just too much for me to use as a daily. Other than that, it's a nice family hauler and more IMO.
Oh, I said the GX had plenty of power and felt good maybe you read me wrong. And yes I love the cooling fans when you start them up.
Old 03-04-22, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Which is why this vehicle makes no sense here,

You're comparing a $45,000 Enclave to a $90,000 LX570. Compare an LX570 to a Range Rover, or a GLS. The ride is night and day.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)