Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 12:45 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Now for something better than Doug Demuro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBRYRWz6_Y

(I haven't actually seen the video yet, but always appreciate TH)
That's not even a fair comparison. The front end difference is infinitely better on the older one. The fact that it has a V8 instead of a V6, no way in hell would I ever consider this new one. I don't care what the spec sheets say.
Old 04-09-22, 01:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Had some free time this morning just on time when they had a demo to try out. I must say.... all the excitement went South. Turbo 6 does move and it doesn't feel as heavy. Apparently a lot are waiting for this car, but I can't see how I would be willing to pay this much for this thing.
Thats good to hear, however it still barely moves for a $100k luxury suv. C & D shows the NX 4t is faster to 0-60

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That's not even a fair comparison. The front end difference is infinitely better on the older one. The fact that it has a V8 instead of a V6, no way in hell would I ever consider this new one. I don't care what the spec sheets say.
their is often talk about “tier 1” or “tier 2” comments. It is really hard to believe that is all of a sudden acceptable for Lexus to lack a V8 here. I agree, the previous two models were V8….it almost as if Lexus didn’t even try. At least Cadillac still has a V8….talk about tiers

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-09-22 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-09-22, 03:48 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thats good to hear, however it still barely moves for a $100k luxury suv. C & D shows the NX 4t is faster to 0-60

their is often talk about “tier 1” or “tier 2” comments. It is really hard to believe that is all of a sudden acceptable for Lexus to lack a V8 here. I agree, the previous two models were V8….it almost as if Lexus didn’t even try. At least Cadillac still has a V8….talk about tiers
Yeah and I don't buy the gas mileage PR excuse that Lexus has for why they switched to a V6. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi still produce V8 engines. And as you said, Cadillac still has one.
Old 04-09-22, 05:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

Yeah and I don't buy the gas mileage PR excuse that Lexus has for why they switched to a V6. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi still produce V8 engines. And as you said, Cadillac still has one.
You don't need to buy it because Lexus weren't selling it. The Lexus press release for the LX600 launch focused on the higher power and torque of the new engine compared to the old, not fuel economy.
Old 04-09-22, 05:06 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The German twin turbo V8's are nothing like the dinosaur 5.7 NA V8 in the outgoing LX. Other than the cylinder count, they have little in common.

The TTV6 in the LX has been universally praised as an improvement in almost every review.
Old 04-09-22, 09:03 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Motorola
The German twin turbo V8's are nothing like the dinosaur 5.7 NA V8 in the outgoing LX. Other than the cylinder count, they have little in common.

The TTV6 in the LX has been universally praised as an improvement in almost every review.
Except for smoothness and reliability.
Old 04-10-22, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It would have been nice if Lexus did the same set up as the Mercedes’ G. No reason why they could not have. I think the G is more fuel efficient as well.

strange thing is that I heard fuel economy is all of a sudden a “thing” for $100k cars….not sure why? The LX has had poor fuel economy forever…
Old 04-11-22, 11:37 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

You are right! Let's put it this way... for almost 6000lbs, yes it moves. For 100K and more... No. Since you mentioned... I think I would prefer the Cadillac or RR if I'm willing to pay this premium price. Cadillac also knows and curves their display.
Except for smoothness and reliability.
Not sure about reliability but I definitely felt the lack of smoothness. Maybe my expectation is not realistic but yeah quite disappointed actually.
Old 04-16-22, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

really not impressed.

Old 04-16-22, 02:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really not impressed.

https://youtu.be/OG8PRMc79QI
That is a great review and one of reasons I like their reviews is they provide some really good technological insight vs just looks and features.
Old 04-16-22, 02:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
That is a great review and one of reasons I like their reviews is they provide some really good technological insight vs just looks and features.
agreed. and they're clear, the car is mechanically great, and interior materials are great, but poor interior component design and integration (hodge podge of screens) and missing features (no front massage, really?) aren't great, and with such great competition, the one they tested at $130K is a joke.
Old 04-16-22, 03:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Still don’t understand the gas/MPG critics…if you can’t fuel these things…then you can’t afford it Toyota really should have a V8 in this thing. A turbo one
Old 04-16-22, 04:16 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

It's worth noting that Savagegeese says this isn't as insane a purchase as a $98k mid-trim as it is $130k loaded. I suspect this vehicle makes still more sense as what it is in the rest of the world, a Toyota Land Cruiser. Which probably explains why it doesn't compare favorably with cars a class up from what it was truly engineered to be in the rest of the world.
Old 04-16-22, 05:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Savage Geese video says there is some fine tuning that's going be needed with the 3.5tt/10 speed drive train. A sloppy transmission doesn't belong in a six figure luxo-barge. This is something that the German trio do very well.

You buy this for long term reliability vs the quick thrills of a three or four year lease. Unfortunately it's also a placeholder for Lexus to make sure they've got something for a Lexus customer who's moved on from smaller vehicles. If you don't have a big three row SUV in this segment, your prestige is going to be questioned. There are better choices for over $100K.
Old 04-16-22, 05:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still don’t understand the gas/MPG critics…if you can’t fuel these things…then you can’t afford it Toyota really should have a V8 in this thing. A turbo one
Lol. And give those critics even more to criticize? They'd be all over the estimated 12 mpg in a V8 or even a V8tt. Toyota has definitely moved away from V8 tech.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)