Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership Practices

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 01:07 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

When I tried to sell Pontiac's in 1986, I was told they made more profit on finance & insurance than the Vehicle.
Old 09-27-21, 01:42 PM
jallen4
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
When I tried to sell Pontiac's in 1986, I was told they made more profit on finance & insurance than the Vehicle.
In reality, 99% of people don't have any idea how dealers make money or how much. As a general rule they just know they make far too much and need to be stopped!
Old 09-28-21, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by jallen4
In reality, 99% of people don't have any idea how dealers make money or how much. As a general rule they just know they make far too much and need to be stopped!
ha, probably true. but info isn't hard to find.

How Much Do Car Dealers Make? | OnlineAutoDealerEd
Old 09-28-21, 10:24 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha, probably true. but info isn't hard to find.

How Much Do Car Dealers Make? | OnlineAutoDealerEd
Great link bit, thanks!
Old 09-28-21, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So.......where do you draw the line? How much is too much or a dealership to make?

If you inherited a million dollars from one of your deceased relatives, would somebody from the dealership have the right to tell you that YOU are getting too much? I think you and I both know the answer to that one. In fact, IMO, dealerships, unless you are applying for a car-loan from them or the manufacturer, should not even be looking into one's personal finances, although some do anyway.
Old 09-28-21, 12:13 PM
jallen4
Driver School Candidate

I really don't know where that article came from but the numbers they use and the methodology they speak of is ridiculous. I spent forty years operating/owning multiple dealerships and can assure you I couldn't hire a mediocre sales manager or service manager for the salaries they attribute to an owner.

The average investment in a new car store today, not including real estate, is right at 11 million dollars. You really don't invest that kind of money to make $60,000 a year. The average salary in 2017 of all dealership employees...mechanics, sales, clerical...was $69,000. The average new car store did right at 60 million in gross sales. Well run dealerships will net, before taxes, 2-3% of gross sales. This makes them on par with grocery stores as one of the lowest margin retailers. The profit margins of other consumer goods retailers such as furniture or jewelry dwarf those margins.

No one with any knowledge is going to tell you dealerships as a whole are not lucrative. All the numbers quoted above are easily verifiable. The fact though is that money is not made simply by selling someone a new car and adding a couple of hundred for nitrogen in the tires. Car dealerships are most often a conglomeration of profit centers including new sales, used sales, wholesale, service, parts, body shop, finance, and a variety of other specialties dealers invest in. The average new car price today is roughly $38,000 which means the dealer is making around a 5% gross profit margin. Find me another main-line consumer product with those numbers.
Old 09-28-21, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The average new car price today is roughly $38,000 which means the dealer is making around a 5% gross profit margin. Find me another main-line consumer product with those numbers.
do you mean numbers that high or low?

if you think 5% is high (good) then yeah, you're making too much money.
if you think 5% is low (not great) then i'd say well the sales items are highly priced so 5% is still a ton of money.

i mean 2 realtors splitting a sale might get 3% each but the size of the transactions are so large that it still is huge commissions.

Old 09-28-21, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I don't begrudge anybody the right to make a lot of money. I'm in a service business and I work hard and provide great service and value...and I make a lot of money. As was demonstrated, theres a lot of investment that goes into building and maintaining a dealership, and the person who invests that money should make as high a return as the market will bear.

MY issue with car dealerships, and I think the issue most people have is the way the purchase process is designed makes consumers feel taken advantage of, because in many instances they are. When you do the whole song and dance back and forth with the manager, are kept waiting for many many hours simply as a part of a sales game to wear you down, when dealerships constantly maniplulate the numbers to add profit and mark up money factors on leases and then in turn give the consumer the hard sell on a bunch of worthless 99% proifit crap in the finance office, like $900 for BS paint sealant...THATS what I have an issue with.

Make it straightforward. Negotiate in good faith, don't cook the numbers on the backend, don't give me the hard sell...make me leave feeling good about what I just did.
Old 09-28-21, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ hear, hear!

i would have no objection to a dealer making lots of money if i didn't feel like i'd been raped with pine cones after buying a car.
Old 09-28-21, 12:59 PM
jallen4
Driver School Candidate

If the people are being taken advantage of most of the time, the dealers are really very poor at doing that! You would assume if you were taking advantage of folks you would make a lot more than 5% profit on a new car on average or 3% net before taxes on total sales.

The problem with forums like this is that people start with a long list of grievances they have heard of as if though every dealer everywhere does all of them consistently all the time. There are 17,000 new car dealers in the U.S. and everyone of them is different. There are 17 million or so new cars sold yearly and everyone of those buyers are not dissatisfied or feel taken advantage of. I will guarantee you I have been in and been involved in more car sales than anyone on this forum. I have seen a very large number of very satisfied consumers in a large number of stores. Seventy-percent of my sales in our Cadillac store were repeat customers and that just doesn't happen if they "all" hate the process.

There are good dealers and there are bad dealers. There are good customers and there are jerks. Dealer personnel sometimes do lie and very few customers always tell the truth. At the end of the day you never hear of any serious players in the industry who suggest changing the whole system. Tesla, who sells .7 of one percent of the cars sold in the world , is the only manufacturer not following the traditional model. They, for good reason, chose to own their own stores when trying to sell a revolutionary product. If they continue to grow and don't get run over by the traditional manufacturers entering their segment, will ultimately have independent dealers just like everyone else. Economics will force it.
Old 09-28-21, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the people are being taken advantage of most of the time, the dealers are really very poor at doing that! You would assume if you were taking advantage of folks you would make a lot more than 5% profit on a new car on average or 3% net before taxes on total sales.
The issue is all of the backhanded BS that dealers do. Your "5%" profit" doesnt take into account dealers marking up interest rates or money factors to hide profit, the profit made off of lowballing trade in values, the profit made off of rediculous add-ons like paint sealant and undercoating and VIN etching and interior protectants, or nitrogen in tires that have no value to the buyer, the games played such as the extraordinarily long process meant to wear buyers down. I mean hell, make 10% profit if I'm getting a fair deal and I don't have to be treated that way.

The problem with forums like this is that people start with a long list of grievances they have heard of as if though every dealer everywhere does all of them consistently all the time. There are 17,000 new car dealers in the U.S. and everyone of them is different. There are 17 million or so new cars sold yearly and everyone of those buyers are not dissatisfied or feel taken advantage of. I will guarantee you I have been in and been involved in more car sales than anyone on this forum. I have seen a very large number of very satisfied consumers in a large number of stores. Seventy-percent of my sales in our Cadillac store were repeat customers and that just doesn't happen if they "all" hate the process.
We're all pretty well to do here, and we have all bought a lot of cars in our lives. I have had maybe 2 positive experiences when buying a car (meaning experiences where I truly did not feel like the dealer tried to screw me in some way), and I myself have bought over 20 cars and have helped others buy probably over 100 cars. Thats pretty bad. If you talk to people, you will find most people don't have much better luck than I have. Just because buyers come back doesn't mean they like the process, it just means your process is the least bad.

Seriously trying to convince you that people don't like the process of buying cars feels like trying to convince someone that people need air to breathe...its just so commonly understood.

At the end of the day you never hear of any serious players in the industry who suggest changing the whole system.
Because they can't in the US. Look overseas, you don't find the same independent dealer franchise system in other countries.
Old 09-28-21, 03:07 PM
jallen4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The issue is all of the backhanded BS that dealers do. Your "5%" profit" doesnt take into account dealers marking up interest rates or money factors to hide profit, the profit made off of lowballing trade in values, the profit made off of rediculous add-ons like paint sealant and undercoating and VIN etching and interior protectants, or nitrogen in tires that have no value to the buyer, the games played such as the extraordinarily long process meant to wear buyers down. I mean hell, make 10% profit if I'm getting a fair deal and I don't have to be treated that way.

So making a profit when arranging financing is "backhanded BS". Obviously you have not heard of shopping rates? All trades are lowballed and the dealer is guaranteed a profit when they trade a car in? Paint sealant is bad but ceramic coating from a guy in a converted service station is good?

We're all pretty well to do here, and we have all bought a lot of cars in our lives. I have had maybe 2 positive experiences when buying a car (meaning experiences where I truly did not feel like the dealer tried to screw me in some way), and I myself have bought over 20 cars and have helped others buy probably over 100 cars. Thats pretty bad. If you talk to people, you will find most people don't have much better luck than I have. Just because buyers come back doesn't mean they like the process, it just means your process is the least bad.

A lifetime 120 car involvement? You do have many of the answers because of your experience. That would be about a week for a sales manager in an average size store.

Seriously trying to convince you that people don't like the process of buying cars feels like trying to convince someone that people need air to breathe...its just so commonly understood.

I know some people don't like buying cars. Been there done that for 40 years. Some people get a great kick out of it. Obviously though you are not one to think outside your own misgivings.

Because they can't in the US. Look overseas, you don't find the same independent dealer franchise system in other countries.
​​​​​​​That is absolutely not true, on both topics. One of the more uninformed topics often discussed by people on forums who do not know better. Many manufacturers have owned dealerships in the U.S. I have actually bought a couple of them from the manufacturer.

​​​​​​​Google car dealers in England, China, and Australia just for starters and then come back and apologize to the forum for being so
misinformed and actually posting it! You can start with Pendragon in the UK.
Old 09-28-21, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

​​​​​​​So making a profit when arranging financing is "backhanded BS". Obviously you have not heard of shopping rates? All trades are lowballed and the dealer is guaranteed a profit when they trade a car in? Paint sealant is bad but ceramic coating from a guy in a converted service station is good?
You make a profit when you sell the financing at the retail rate, you pad profit and hide it from the consumer when you inflate the interest rate or money factor and you do that because most consumers don't know how to get their hands on what the retail rates should be. Its all about hiding profit and giving as little transparency to the buyer as possible. I have only maybe twice been quoted a retail money factor upfront when negotiating a lease, for example.

HIDING profit, instead of being upfront about a deal is what is "backhanded BS"

And yes, a real ceramic coating from a professional detailer, or even installed yourself is an order of magnitude better than the terrible "sealant" you guys sell, which is nothing but a liquid synthetic wax with almost no durability.

A lifetime 120 car involvement? You do have many of the answers because of your experience. That would be about a week for a sales manager in an average size store.

I would say negotiating the purchase of 120 cars in ~ 20 years makes me an unusually experienced consumer.

I know some people don't like buying cars. Been there done that for 40 years. Some people get a great kick out of it. Obviously though you are not one to think outside your own misgivings.

And you are so in your own head as a dealership owner you have no idea what your consumers actually want and like.

9 out of 10 consumers would cheer if dealerships ceased to exist.

Here's an actual study on the subject:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300301866.html

Originally Posted by excerpt
ethe findings of its 2016 Consumer Automotive Index, a national survey, conducted online in April by Harris Poll among 2,135 U.S. adults age 18+, that explores Americans' attitudes about the evolving experience of car ownership. One clear takeaway: people are fed up with the old-school experience of buying and selling a car at a dealership. 87% of American adults dislike something about the process of purchasing a vehicle at a traditional car dealership.Key findings include:
  • More than three in five Americans (61%) feel like they're taken advantage of at least some of the time when shopping at a car dealership.
    • 52% of Americans feel anxious or uncomfortable when visiting a car dealership.
  • Millennials (ages 18 to 34) appear to especially dislike the experience, with 56% reporting they'd prefer to clean their homes than negotiate with a car dealer. Further:
    • 34% would rather wait in line at the DMV.
    • 26% would rather do their taxes.
  • This dislike also tends to extend to Gen X Americans, with 24% of Americans ages 35-44 preferring to get a root canal than having to negotiate with a car dealer.
  • Millennial women are more likely than Millennial men to feel pressured by a dealership salesperson to buy something right away (62% vs. 50%).
    • And 49% of Millennial women report feeling tricked into buying additional, unnecessary features, compared to 34% of Millennial men.
  • The discomfort felt at the traditional dealership is also evident among parents. 80 percent of those with children under 18 living at home would rather do anything else unpleasant than negotiate with a dealership sales person, versus 71 percent of those without.
People are interested in exploring high tech alternatives:
  • Over half of Americans (54%) would love the ability to buy or sell a car without ever leaving home.
  • Two in five (42%) would be comfortable purchasing a car online without a test drive if certain assurances (like a money-back guarantee) were in place.
But we're just making this up.

that is absolutely not true, on both topics. One of the more uninformed topics often discussed by people on forums who do not know better. Many manufacturers have owned dealerships in the U.S. I have actually bought a couple of them from the manufacturer.
Manufacturers cannot sell vehicles directly to consumers in the US, look at the hassle Tesla has gone through in order to be able to do so. It may have been possible many decades ago, but not during modern times.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...t-dealerships/

Long-established state franchise laws that largely prohibit direct sales by auto manufacturers are the biggest reasons dealers are mostly impervious to outside threats.
https://motorhills.com/why-cant-car-...l-to-consumers

Every car manufacturer has to play by certain rules when it comes to selling their vehicles. There are a number of laws that strictly prohibit a manufacturer from selling directly to their consumers. It is highly illegal for Ford to sell you a car and drop it off in your driveway. The only exception is Tesla, but that’s because they’re using a loophole (more on that later).
Google car dealers in England, China, and Australia just for starters and then come back and apologize to the forum for being so misinformed and actually posting it! You can start with Pendragon in the UK.

I have nothing to apologize for, it is absolutely true that manufacturers can and do sell vehicles directly to consumers overseas. I didnt say only manufacturers do. The US is the only major market where it is basically impossible for them to do so.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-28-21 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 04:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Jallen4 - knock off the personal commentary.
jallen, you are starting up with the personal comments again. Last warning before you are kicked out of this thread.

you can disagree without doing that. Do it or stop posting.

examples

​​​​​​​
Obviously though you are not one to think outside your own misgivings.

​​​then come back and apologize to the forum for being so misinformed and actually posting it
Old 09-28-21, 04:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Apparently this is a pretty hot topic LOL

Quick Reply: Dealership Practices