Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership Practices

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was a bit hard to read that... but $50K ADM!

Your experience in seeing that 50K add-on nonsense only verifies the 50K+ figures that some other posters in Car Chat have also reported seeing at upmarket/luxury-car dealerships. I think Steve remarked at seeing something similar at his own Mercedes shop in suburban MD.

Even at my own Chevy/Buick/GMC shop, for standard, Run-of-the-Mill everyday appliance-vehicles (Equinox, Terrain, Encore, etc...) almost everything is marked up 5K or more. If I bought or ordered something today (which, of course, I'm not in the market for right now) I could probably get a better deal than that as a several-times-repeat customer, but good luck to a stranger or first-time customer.

Besides the computer-chip-shortage, one thing that could (?) be adding to the shortage of new vehicles (although it is at least partly-hearsay, and not necessarily fact) are the stories I hear of cargo ships off the coast that can't unload the new vehicles that have on board (or are unloading them at a slower rate) because of a shortage of dock-workers. The Encore GX that I have, for example, had to come all the way across the Pacific, from Korea, on a ship, then, depending on where the ship docked, some distance over land to my dealership....which also involves trucking or railroad-workers. We could debate the actual reasons for the shortage of workers, but, at least on my part, it might involve some political discussion, so I'll avoid it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-21 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-17-21, 07:24 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger

Local dealer a few days ago
My neighbor just sold his “old” AMG G63. Had it for couple years, put 30k miles on it and still got $30k over what he paid for it.