Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership Practices

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 02:27 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I worked at a dealership 22 years. The salesmen were trained to keep the customer there as long as possible till they agreed to buy. They would linger around and go for a smoke leaving the customer wait after telling them they were going to talk to the manager about a better deal, even when they knew there was no better deal. A consulting company taught them the longer the customer spends in the dealership the greater the chance of a sale. Usually there is only one or two finance employees and then the waiting game started. Sometimes backing up a large amount of customers. They were trained to say you are next in line knowing it was hrs away. Then in the closing booth that is where the real thievery takes place.
Old 09-17-21, 02:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I worked at a dealership 22 years. The salesmen were trained to keep the customer there as long as possible till they agreed to buy. They would linger around and go for a smoke leaving the customer wait after telling them they were going to talk to the manager about a better deal, even when they knew there was no better deal. A consulting company taught them the longer the customer spends in the dealership the greater the chance of a sale. Usually there is only one or two finance employees and then the waiting game started. Sometimes backing up a large amount of customers. They were trained to say you are next in line knowing it was hrs away. Then in the closing booth that is where the real thievery takes place.
thank you for this.

no one should believe ANYTHING in a dealer other than what's in writing that they have to sign.
Old 09-17-21, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and i know that too, but it's not as easy at every dealer as you make it out to be. i've attempted to do several deals by phone/email but despite that STILL get the hours long "dancing the the bear" once i go in to sign. and MOST dealers don't want to make it easy.
I totally understand that, oftentimes its not easy at all. But it is what it is.
Old 09-17-21, 02:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Of course. All of that is true.
Old 09-17-21, 03:28 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Also watch out for inverted numbers. They would quote you a sales price of $26,800 after negotiations. You would agree and get into the finance office an hour later. All the paperwork would be done but it would read sale price $28,600. This worked on a lot of people and if you caught them they would just say it was a mistake and apologize. The finance office is the most profitable department in the dealership. These guys make the most dollars because they are masters of persuasion and slight of hand. This happened to me once and I told him I know this trick just redo the numbers right.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 09-17-21 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 03:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And then they'll sell the car to someone else.

Theres this idea that you as a buyer are irreplaceable but thats just not the case. Its not worth messing with someone who is difficult, they just move on to the next person.

The time it takes is annoying, but you're better off to just do the deal over the phone/over email and limit your time spent there that way than you are playing games like that.
Under current market conditions, sure. But they don't work that much quicker when it's a buyer's market.
Old 09-17-21, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yup. Next time i think i'm going to say MY time is worth $500 an hour and so for every hour they keep me waiting i'll expect another $500 off the car or i'm leaving.

they'll laugh and ignore me and after an hour i'll say "see ya".

That will get you nowhere. Every dealership you try that with will probably laugh.
Old 09-17-21, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Under current market conditions, sure. But they don't work that much quicker when it's a buyer's market.
Unless the market is really depressed, there will always be another buyer.
Old 09-17-21, 06:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Yup. Next time i think i'm going to say MY time is worth $500 an hour and so for every hour they keep me waiting i'll expect another $500 off the car or i'm leaving.

they'll laugh and ignore me and after an hour i'll say "see ya".
I like that idea. Some people spend a crazy amount of time at the dealership. Time is money.

And then they'll sell the car to someone else.

Theres this idea that you as a buyer are irreplaceable but thats just not the case. Its not worth messing with someone who is difficult, they just move on to the next person.

The time it takes is annoying, but you're better off to just do the deal over the phone/over email and limit your time spent there that way than you are playing games like that.
That is true, especially now. There always somebody else who will buy the car if you don’t these days.

The online/phone deals are nice. It really speeds up the process. Have you done any of your recent car purchases that way? I ask since you have a lot of experience buying cars over the past few years.
Old 09-17-21, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah, I predominantly buy cars online and negotiate over email. It’s the way to go IMO
Old 09-17-21, 10:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That will get you nowhere. Every dealership you try that with will probably laugh.
fine, then i'll just buy a tesla and they'll lose a sale.

i think most people would rather go to the dentist than a car dealer.
kennyr44 nicely pointed out some of highly unethical things car dealers routinely do to stiff customers.
Old 09-17-21, 10:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah, I predominantly buy cars online and negotiate over email. It’s the way to go IMO
yes it is, although unless they deliver the car to you, you still go in, and deal with the sharks who can pull tricks of STILL keep you waiting.
Old 09-18-21, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

yes it is, although unless they deliver the car to you, you still go in, and deal with the sharks who can pull tricks of STILL keep you waiting.
Yep, I always go in and take delivery in person, except for the Pacifica where they did deliver it but that was in the middle of COVID.

How "shark-y" they are depends on the type of car. Usually I find they don't press too hard with a luxury car. The one thing with the Mercedes they hammered on was the pre-paid maintenance and since paying for a $700 oil change, he really was trying to sell me something that he felt was worthwhile and if I went back in time I would have bought it. $2,000 for all the lease's maintenance and the first service was $700...so that was a good deal.

The Chrysler dealer I bought the 2017 Pacifica was REALLY bad, and I know the dealer GM there and they were still bad. I actually had to tell the woman if she didn't quit, we were going to leave and she did.
Old 09-18-21, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Chrysler dealer I bought the 2017 Pacifica was REALLY bad, and I know the dealer GM there and they were still bad. I actually had to tell the woman if she didn't quit, we were going to leave and she did.
I still get a laugh when I think of the Ram 1500 review I did there in Chantilly, at Josh's (Army of One) request......and how they just dumped all of the new-vehicle-key-fobs out of a cardboard box, onto the floor, to find the stock-number for the truck. The salesman was down on his hands and knees, going through the pile LOL.
Old 09-18-21, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I still get a laugh when I think of the Ram 1500 review I did there, at Josh's (Army of One) request......and how they just dumped all of the new-vehicle-key-fobs out of a cardboard box, onto the floor, to find the stock-number for the truck. The salesman was down on his hands and knees, going through the pile LOL.
LOL, I remember that story!

Quick Reply: Dealership Practices