Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 10:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Of course there are more 40s but I do read these forums too and I'm telling you, there are plenty of V8 X7s here. Let me repeat this again, it's a heavy V8 truck/SUV area here. I think that's a Southern thing at least part of it. X7 is very popular here and I'm always right behind them staring at the badge.
Even if we start from the premise of your observations being 100% statistically accurate, with no gaps or bias whatsoever, sales numbers still are what they are. No manufacturer is going to ignore overall sales volume and take rate, in order to customize their lineup for the unique tastes of the Knoxville metro.
Old 03-20-23, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not that they want one less and less, it's that they're not willing to pay the price premium to get it, given how good turbo 4s and 6s have become.
Exactly, they don't see the value. Even I see the value less and less given how great the especially inline 6s have become.

i remember when a friend who's had one mb e-class after another took me for a spin in the last one he got and i told him the engine was remarkable for a 4 cylinder, and he didn't know (or care), but was surprised to learn that.
Great example

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I’m in utter disbelief you’re even needing to argue this. We have hard data here and we’re still going off what someone sees in their neighborhood? This is a rehash of a discussion we’ve already had in this forum anyways.
Tell me about it... I love when experience and data are at the mercy of somebody's opinion.

Originally Posted by geko29
Even if we start from the premise of your observations being 100% statistically accurate, with no gaps or bias whatsoever, sales numbers still are what they are. No manufacturer is going to ignore overall sales volume and take rate, in order to customize their lineup for the unique tastes of the Knoxville metro.
Exactly...its absurd.
Old 03-20-23, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Good. I don't want you to get into any trouble, of course. But Lexus should read these forums for feedback. We were ALL dead on about the LS500.
the lack of v8 on the ls500 isn't its biggest issue. looks, interior room, less tech, etc...
Old 03-20-23, 10:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

the lack of v8 on the ls500 isn't its biggest issue. looks, interior room, less tech, etc...
To this point, I've driven the LS460, and the LS500's 3.5L TT is pretty awesome. I would have zero issues driving it as a daily or taking it on a long trip
Old 03-20-23, 11:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Agreed. When I sat in one at the auto show several years ago (right around launch), doing so immediately excluded it from ever being considered due to the lack of space. I should not be more comfortable in a compact sedan (3-series, C-class, IS) than I am in a flagship.
Old 03-20-23, 11:18 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The whole "red car syndrome" has been beaten to death on here also, which I don't agree with either. I check out every single car I see or that I can get a glance at.

Of course there are more 40s but I do read these forums too and I'm telling you, there are plenty of V8 X7s here. Let me repeat this again, it's a heavy V8 truck/SUV area here. I think that's a Southern thing at least part of it. X7 is very popular here and I'm always right behind them staring at the badge.
This is precisely where we're having an issue. I don't think anyone is disputing that in your locale there may be more V8 X7s than in other locales of similar size. Even if your steady eye's appraisal is 100% correct, your metro area isn't big enough to matter at scale to a manufacturer which is why we focus on hard sales numbers. The sales data and need to scale (along with regulations of course) are what drive manufacturer decision making, not metro Knoxville TN.
Old 03-20-23, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally agree. If the car was like the LS always was and had that same 3.5TT engine I would have one.
Old 03-20-23, 12:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The sales data and need to scale (along with regulations of course) are what drive manufacturer decision making, not metro Knoxville TN.
Here’s where all of you are dead wrong.

Please cite where I said because I see many V8 X7s around my area, that it meant that sales numbers are wrong? All I said was this is a V8 heavy SUV are which I’ve said on here since the year 1985.

You all assume I’m saying you’re lying when you post sales numbers?

However, I’m not imagining the X750s I see. Badges are right there in front of me. I don’t tell you all that you’re basically delusional…. I’d appreciate the same respect.

Back in the good old days the vast majority of E-Classes were 320s but two engine upgrades available. The take rates were low, probably not like now but still low. Not a problem then.
Old 03-20-23, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Back in the good old days the vast majority of E-Classes were 320s but two engine upgrades available. The take rates were low, probably not like now but still low. Not a problem then.
Its a different world now, margins are thinner than they were then and the industry was not heavily investing in the development of EV powertrains like they are now, you didn't have pressure from regulators like you do now and buyers didnt want better fuel economy as their primary criteria like they do now.

Please cite where I said because I see many V8 X7s around my area, that it meant that sales numbers are wrong? All I said was this is a V8 heavy SUV are which I’ve said on here since the year 1985.
You certainly are implying that because you see lots of V8s around you that "people do still want V8s" and that carmakers are wrong for offering fewer V8s, the sales figures and survey responses show us its a very small number of people that purchase V8s when they are available. Everybody who has responded to you took what you were saying that way, you may want to evaluate your delivery...
Old 03-20-23, 12:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

not sure what an X750 is, lol, but i certainly believe you when you say you see a load of V8 suv's there. but the point is, that's irrelevant to your point that car makers should therefore continue to make v8 suv's, because overal market stats clearly show the market has become tiny and compliance regs mandate they can't make/sell many of them anyway and so they do them with all the sprinkles on top to make as much money as possible from the few that demand them.

Old 03-20-23, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

not sure what an X750 is, lol, but i certainly believe you when you say you see a load of V8 suv's there. but the point is, that's irrelevant to your point that car makers should therefore continue to make v8 suv's, because overall market stats clearly show the market has become tiny and compliance regs mandate they can't make/sell many of them anyway and so they do them with all the sprinkles on top to make as much money as possible from the few that demand them.
X7 50i, its the V8 version of the X7. Its 60i now.
Old 03-20-23, 12:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Here’s where all of you are dead wrong.

You all assume I’m saying you’re lying when you post sales numbers?

However, I’m not imagining the X750s I see. Badges are right there in front of me. I don’t tell you all that you’re basically delusional…. I’d appreciate the same respect.

To pull one example, see the quote of yours at the end of the message. I don't think I underestimated how many people care about stuff with cars at all because I've seen the sales data. As I said in my post, I'm not making any judgement on what you claim to see in your metro area, it's just that I find that to be irrelevant to the conversation if I have to be honest. You're right, in simpler times the E320 was the volume model but they had two engine upgrades. You kind of got to the point SW17LS and others have made - "engine upgrades" are seemingly all that's needed for the customer at large in today's highly regulated, scale-focused environment, not specifically a V8. We're down to one V8 engine for the E-class today, the soon to debut W214 E-class will have none. I'm sure some AMG customers will flee but it looks like MB is OK with that given the circumstances and other available product that didn't exist in the E320 days.

I'm not saying you said this but many people underestimate how many people actually do care about stuff with cars, even if they're not a "car person".
Old 03-20-23, 02:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
the industry was not heavily investing in the development of EV powertrains like they are now, you didn't have pressure from regulators like you do now
Bingo you answered your own question, those aren't good things. If you like your cars regulated by CAFE that's your prerogative.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You certainly are implying that because you see lots of V8s around you that "people do still want V8s" and that carmakers are wrong for offering fewer V8s, the sales figures and survey responses show us its a very small number of people that purchase V8s when they are available. Everybody who has responded to you took what you were saying that way, you may want to evaluate your delivery...
No, you're wrong...again. I said they sell 20-30k GXs a year all with thirsty V8s, the take and satisfaction rate with those are off the charts. I doubt many owners trade them in because they get bad gas mileage. All BOFs still get bad gas mileage, like I said Ecoboost still means 13-14 MPG (similar to V8s) when loaded down with gear and driven normally instead of EPA tests.

And for the record, "people DO still want V8s." Is or is not your S-Class powered by 8 cylinders that you paid more for? I never said it was the vast majority but at least we used to get options. We had that '11 IS350 that took a while to find because the one with the biggest engine was hard to find. I've found in traffic over the years that it's about 1 out of 10 of those IS models that are the 350. What was the problem with that then? I guess I'm beating a dead horse if you don't mind all these regulations and stuff.

GM just invested nearly a billion into V-8s, they're not going anywhere.

Also I never said car makers are wrong, obviously I understand the atmosphere we are living in today. I just don't like it. We couldn't go back if we tried, it would be impossible. I'm well aware of that.

Last edited by AJT123; 03-20-23 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bingo you answered your own question, those aren't good things. If you like your cars regulated by CAFE that's your prerogative.

No, you're wrong...again. I said they sell 20-30k GXs a year all with thirsty V8s, the take and satisfaction rate with those are off the charts. I doubt many owners trade them in because they get bad gas mileage. All BOFs still get bad gas mileage, like I said Ecoboost still means 13-14 MPG (similar to V8s) when loaded down with gear and driven normally instead of EPA tests.
It is what it is. There isn't anything we can do about it. CAFE standards are not the only reason for engine downsizing but it is a reason. Still though, where V8 and higher performance options exist buyers aren't buying them, they are content with small 4 cyl engines.

And for the record, "people DO still want V8s." Is or is not your S-Class powered by 8 cylinders that you paid more for? I never said it was the vast majority but at least we used to get options. We had that '11 IS350 that took a while to find because the one with the biggest engine was hard to find. I've found in traffic over the years that it's about 1 out of 10 of those IS models that are the 350. What was the problem with that then? I guess I'm beating a dead horse if you don't mind all these regulations and stuff.
I'm an enthusiast, most people aren't. There are LOTS of people perfectly happy with their V6 S450s and I6 S500s. Options cost money for the manufacturer, and if people aren't going to exercise those options you have to understand when manufacturers cancel those options.

Overwhelmingly people say that fuel economy is their #1 concern when shopping for a vehicle, and overwhelmingly the higher CAFE standards are supported by voters when polled (voters of both political spectrums by the way), I have posted that data for you before but it doesn't seem to get through.

You and I are atypical buyers, well you don't buy new cars at all so you aren't a buyer, but I am an atypical buyer. I understand that carmakers make decisions based on what typical buyers want, not what I want.

Even I may not pay the premium for the V8 in my next car. I would rather have the V8, but there's a cost/benefit analysis.

GM just invested nearly a billion into V-8s, they're not going anywhere.
For their trucks. They're not even putting that engine into the Corvette. GM has a use case though, since overwhelmingly their truck customers want those engines. Look at Ford though, they still get huge ADMs on Raptors even with the Ecoboost engine... If GM can invest that money anybody could, but for other carmakers the demand is not there to make the investment viable. Thats why Toyota/Lexus has abandoned V8s.

Sequoia at the dealer today, $17,500 markup, even without a V8.
Old 03-20-23, 02:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

We had that '11 IS350 that took a while to find because the one with the biggest engine was hard to find. I've found in traffic over the years that it's about 1 out of 10 of those IS models that are the 350.
What do you mean by "the biggest engine was hard to find"? IS350 has had the same engine since 2006 (2GR-FSE, 3.5L V6). The 2023 has pretty much the same engine (now 2GR-FKS), only changes are 2nd gen had the 6 speed while the latest has the 8 speed auto and now 311 hp instead of 306 hp. Do you mean that you were trying to find the IS350 over the IS250?

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550