Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 12:28 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Thanks.

Might it be June 8th for USA instead? Just curious, due to time zone differences from Europe. Only seen June 9 from Lexus Europe. Lexus USA can sometimes treat their American customers like children in my opinion, by omitting key details.
Makes lots of sense!

Per https://newsroom.lexus.eu/world-prem...n-june-9-2023/, it will be revealed June 8th 8pm Eastern.
Old 05-14-23, 02:59 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
Makes lots of sense!

Per https://newsroom.lexus.eu/world-prem...n-june-9-2023/, it will be revealed June 8th 8pm Eastern.
Wow, thanks! I appreciate you for that in terms of exact time too! Too bad TX is not being offered in Europe, because at least they would've shared that for us too.

Am I imagining things, when I believe Toyota and Lexus USA press relations operate oddly, in comparison to Europe, Japan (JDM), and Australia who share more information on developments and press matters more than USA?

They've already revealed the 2024 LC, yet nary of mention of it for USA.

In the Global South, the GX, LX, Hilux and Land Cruiser range are my go to vehicles. By chance, my admiration and respect for the flagship (L) nameplates, brought me to this forum.

The LX and GX redesigns have been important to me for global purposes. It's disappointing that the market which has been carrying this vehicle the past 20 years, gets just 2 teaser images with no reveal date announced, while other global divisions do us the courtesy of knowing when to expect it.

https://pressroom.lexus.com/coming-s...2024-lexus-gx/

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/world-prem...n-june-9-2023/

I also see this with Lexus Global executives answering questions to the press on future models, that often aren't even addressed by Lexus USA.

I already see a lot of Americans frustrated, as they are with the vague and drawn out Tacoma reveal (Tundra in '21), since they haven't even been told when to expect anything. TX is likely thereabouts, but we won't know unless they use common sense like their international colleagues.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-14-23 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 03:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The LX and GX redesigns have been important to me for global purposes. It's disappointing that the market which has been carrying this vehicle the past 20 years, gets just 2 teaser images with no reveal date announced, while other global divisions do us the courtesy of knowing when to expect it.

Toyota wants to grow the GX model globally. Currently the GX is not sold in Europe. Having the world premiere in Europe makes more sense as there will be more focus on the model for European market where Toyota can grow the GX model to better compete with Land Rover. This is a strategic move. Very smart.
Old 05-14-23, 03:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Although the GX isn't sold there .. the Prado is

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/land-cruisers

I'm not sure out of Ukraine the 460 has been sold.. perhaps Romania and Bulgaria... and then throughout Eurasia

Brochures I found in the past

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...the-world.html

Last edited by Acrad; 05-14-23 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 03:41 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Wow, thanks! I appreciate you for that in terms of exact time too! Too bad TX is not being offered in Europe, because at least they would've shared that for us too.

Am I imagining things, when I believe Toyota and Lexus USA press relations operate oddly, in comparison to Europe, Japan (JDM), and Australia who share more information on developments and press matters more than USA?

In the Global South, the GX, LX, Hilux and Land Cruiser range are my go to vehicles. By chance, my admiration and respect for the flagship (L) nameplates, brought me to this forum.

Agreed!

What is also interesting to me is how Lexus is not able to coordinate the messaging across its markets; unless it is deliberate for some reason.

By the way, thank you for all the great information on this new GX model all along. Your insights on the "militarized" approach made me very interested. I am very curious 1) whether there will be a hybrid version on reveal after all and 2) how detuned of an LX powertrain the non-hybrid will be.
Old 05-14-23, 03:44 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota wants to grow the GX model globally. Currently the GX is not sold in Europe. Having the world premiere in Europe makes more sense as there will be more focus on the model for European market where Toyota can grow the GX model to better compete with Land Rover. This is a strategic move. Very smart.
Just a thought: according to the press release, the reveal will be 2:00 AM in Europe. So it seems to me it will probably be here in the US or at least mostly targeting the US market.
Old 05-14-23, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Just a thought: according to the press release, the reveal will be 2:00 AM in Europe. So it seems to me it will probably be here in the US or at least mostly targeting the US market.

Oh. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the release is coming from Japan officially or the US. Could be Australia. If memory serves me right. I think 2am Germany Europe is 10am or 11am Australia. 6pm US time.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-14-23 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 04:13 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Oh. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the release is coming from Japan officially or the US. Could be Australia. If memory serves me right. I think 2am Germany Europe is 10am or 11am Australia. 6pm US time.
Yeah! It can basically be anywhere . It is 2:00AM CET, which is 8:00PM Eastern.
Old 05-14-23, 04:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I can't wait to see this thing. No reason for me to think these won't sell like hotcakes like the current one always has here.
Old 05-14-23, 05:56 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

This is unrelated, but concerns 4Runner. CarBuzz came up with this, it's not as stupid as rest of renderings out there.

I understand that and it's a great thing, to target new markets as you've said. The remodel always more flexibility to do so from what I've observed.

I feel those of us in Canada and USA, deserve the courtesy of knowing basic information like the adults we are and not being left in the dark.

There's a really unfortunate disconnect, which often rubs me the wrong way, with Lexus USA. The communications aspect isn't really there and I find it insulting, because while some of us don't the mind doing research, a lot of Americans and Canadians are too busy to look elsewhere and would benefit from direct information. Who are Toyota/Lexus USA hiding from here LOL?

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned Land Rover. For years, I didn't even realize the GX benchmark was the Discovery, until reading an old interview with a Lexus exec in 2001-02. When the new 2024 model came up off the record, the Defender was mentioned and as we both can see now, no wonder!

I look forward to seeing Lexus shut up some detractors for once, who can't seem to separate their bitter opinion from fact (ie Lexus is boring and outdated).

Originally Posted by Acrad
Although the GX isn't sold there .. the Prado is

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/land-cruisers

I'm not sure out of Ukraine the 460 has been sold.. perhaps Romania and Bulgaria... and then throughout Eurasia

Brochures I found in the past

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...the-world.html
GX has definitely been a thing, maybe in Eastern Europe. Just not Western Europe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen that mentioned a number of times.

With many TNGA redesigns, seemed like the goal was to globalize as many of them as possible to liberate from no longer being limited to only a few regions.

Agreed!

What is also interesting to me is how Lexus is not able to coordinate the messaging across its markets; unless it is deliberate for some reason.

By the way, thank you for all the great information on this new GX model all along. Your insights on the "militarized" approach made me very interested. I am very curious 1) whether there will be a hybrid version on reveal after all and 2) how detuned of an LX powertrain the non-hybrid will be.
I think it's deliberate and I'm tired of it, because the customer base here are not children and deserve to be well informed, just as everyone else. It's a pattern I see with their other products and had to take a step back from defending them, when seeing these complaints on Toyota forums.

I don't know if as an organization, they've chosen to freeze out U.S. media for biased criticism and reward other markets by providing them exclusive insight. Yet Europe is even less than us over here...

Make it make sense lol! It doesn't hurt US media, if they can cite European info elsewhere on the web.

It does keep us American buyers in the dark, guessing what's going on and sometimes getting frustrated, in not knowing what's next.

I was confused when I saw some people mentioning a reveal date and not even knowing if it was true. Well, like the 2024 LC, I was caught off guard. They need to be better and stop freezing out North America on full details, they give other markets.

------------------------

Thanks, I'm just a eager messenger and keen researcher. I want us all on the same page and to know the same things, so that we can plan our purchases or look forward to new developments out of curiosity.

I understand some people have to honor NDAs and can't share much, but luckily I can get around these concerns.

All we've seen trademarked is GX 550 in USA and GX 550h abroad. Doing convoluted LEXUS arithmetic, we can figure out this:

LX 600 = V35A-FTS twin turbo 3.4L V6 at 409, 479
​​​​​​IS 350 = 2GR-FKS NA 3.5L V6 at 311, 280
IS 300 AWD = 2GR-FKS NA 3.5L V6 at 260, 236
​​​​​​RX 500h FSP = T24A-FTS turbo 2.4L at 366, 406
Grand Highlander Hybrid Max = 362 hp, 400

What could it mean for GX 550 and GX 550h?
Downgrading the IS 350 V6 output to closer match the IS 300 RWD 2.0T, saw a decrease in 51 hp, 54 lb-ft. Percentage wise, roughly 16-16.5% decrease and name change by a factor of 50.

​​​​Looking at the numbers for lesser 500h or Hybrid Max models, you see them mostly top out around 362-366 hp.

Wouldn't you think, that Toyota would want the GX 550 and 550h to have better power output than the RX 500h and maybe TX 500h? Meaning nothing below 366?

They could've easily just called it GX 500h instead of 550h. Somehow, we are going to be both disappointed and relieved at the same time. A few people might expect 400 or more and not get it. The LX 600 is too close at 409. But maybe horsepower might increase by 25-30%? Torque? LOL, a lot!

Does giving the GX 550 the power output numbers at 389 hp; 479 lb-ft of the mid-level Tundra meet a happy enough medium, which isn't too close to the LX 600?

And for GX 550h, maybe 375-380ish below that, to justify the separation from 500h transverse nameplates? It's so headache inducing, when the LS 500h and LC 500h are a whole different ballgame as NA hybrid V6s at 354/257.

​​​​​​

Thank you for this information, I'm curious where it will be. Possibly Texas or maybe somewhere mountainous?

That's alright. It was a good guess, since no one would know where unfortunately, since they haven't bothered to mention it publicly.

For example, I was told the 2024 Tacoma would be revealed in Hawaii (privately about a week ago), explaining the odd reveal time of 1:30 AM ET, then we just heard it also will be on display at Overland Expo West, in Flagstaff, AZ during the afternoon on May 19th. So people in MT and PT will see it in 4 days, Thursday night.

It's so poorly communicated, so confusing to us both. Our guessing patterns are not dissimilar.

Yeah! It can basically be anywhere . It is 2:00AM CET, which is 8:00PM Eastern.
Thanks again, really appreciate how you caught this. Explains some things. Maybe it's in Texas? Hawaii is the most popular sales center for the Tacoma, but GX seems to do best in TX I hear allegedly. I should check that just to be sure.

Originally Posted by AJT123
I can't wait to see this thing. No reason for me to think these won't sell like hotcakes like the current one always has here.
I still cannot believe they finally leaned into their heritage and dropped all pretense of what it is today. I might actually buy this as a millennial!

The only reason I knew anything about this vehicle, is the dealer guy who spilled so much about it back in 2021 to me, when I asked about GX 550 trademark. Very few from corporate will answer much.

Gosh, it's been a long wait and tightly kept to vest secret I've been wanting to see. When you have loyal employees, you don't have to worry about anything. They've done so well keeping it under wraps!

I see people not giving them the benefit of doubt and choosing to instead focus on how old the current model is. Well, you take your time to supersede a legend. You are definitely right about an even bigger sales jump coming.
​​​​​
Old 05-14-23, 06:39 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Thanks again, really appreciate how you caught this. Explains some things. Maybe it's in Texas? Hawaii is the most popular sales center for the Tacoma, but GX seems to do best in TX I hear allegedly. I should check that just to be sure.

I still cannot believe they finally leaned into their heritage and dropped all pretense of what it is today. I might actually buy this as a millennial!

The only reason I knew anything about this vehicle, is the dealer guy who spilled so much about it back in 2021 to me, when I asked about GX 550 trademark. Very few from corporate will answer much.

Gosh, it's been a long wait and tightly kept to vest secret I've been wanting to see. When you have loyal employees, you don't have to worry about anything. They've done so well keeping it under wraps!

I see people not giving them the benefit of doubt and choosing to instead focus on how old the current model is. Well, you take your time to supersede a legend. You are definitely right about an even bigger sales jump coming.
​​​​​

Thank YOU again for all the information and analysis on the possible powertrains. Yes, anecdotally, GX is popular in Texas.

Similarly, I have been communicating with my Lexus salesperson. He didn't know much until recently but now they are told they will be getting TX in Oct/Nov and GX in Dec/Jan timeframe.

Last edited by CCTX; 05-14-23 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 06:48 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is what I am thinking too. I was trying not to get too excited but couldn't.
Old 05-15-23, 12:17 AM
redlineaus
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course. I'm out of room in my inbox, so yes that's probably why. I do post on other forums, much more frequently than this one, (seeing as how things are here for me).
Thanks Carmaker. Just sent you a PM on Tacoma4G, where you seem to be reasonably active.

Speaking for Australia, for major all-new product announcements there will tend to be a local media release published, with Australia-specific information e.g. on-sale timing, and often a quote from the boss of Lexus/Toyota Aus. A release was issued for this GX teaser – but it was closer to the US version than the Euro one, with no mention of the June reveal date.
Old 05-15-23, 11:11 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If they really want to lean into the Defender/G Wagon/etc market they shouldn't detune it at all. They aren't going to have a monster top trim with 500+ HP but they could make sure that it's competitive with the G550 and Defender mid level at 416 and 395 HP respectively.
Old 05-16-23, 06:31 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
If they really want to lean into the Defender/G Wagon/etc market they shouldn't detune it at all. They aren't going to have a monster top trim with 500+ HP but they could make sure that it's competitive with the G550 and Defender mid level at 416 and 395 HP respectively.
I sure hope they do.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550