Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 06:31 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow the new 4Runner looks awesome. Can’t wait to see what the GX looks like.
Old 05-17-23, 06:35 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You must have rented the P300, which only has a turbocharger. There's zero lag on my P400 (which is inline 6, not V6) because it has both an electrically driven supercharger and a twin-scroll turbo which takes over from the supercharger. The 48V mild hybrid powers the supercharger and it spools up from 0 RPM to 120,000 RPM in less than half a second, quicker than any traditional supercharger driven by a belt. Mine is very well specced, it has about an 85K MSRP now but it was a bit less when I bought it. The P400 also has different brakes which is why you can't drop down to 18 inch rims without some modifications.
I just noticed you have a Defender. I love the looks of the midsize but not the short or long one. I love the rugged looks of the Defender and old LR4 (not the Discovery). How do you like it, any issues?

Based on what is said in this thread I feel the GX is going to be awesome and rugged like the Defender.
Old 05-18-23, 08:39 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I just noticed you have a Defender. I love the looks of the midsize but not the short or long one. I love the rugged looks of the Defender and old LR4 (not the Discovery). How do you like it, any issues?

Based on what is said in this thread I feel the GX is going to be awesome and rugged like the Defender.
Our Defender 110 been great, we've had it for a couple of years and we really love it. It's a do-anything kind of vehicle, comfortable for road trips. very capable on and off road, tows over 8000lbs, the air suspension is fantastic (we think it actually rides as well as our prior-gen Range Rover), the tech is decent and has gotten better with OTA updates, and to answer the question that everyone asks it's been completely reliable. The only time it's been back to the dealer since we bought it has been for regular servicing (which was outrageously expensive). We've had good luck with our JLR vehicles reliability-wise, and we didn't have any qualms about getting this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new GX too, but for now we're more than happy with our Defender. We're taking it to Tahoe this coming week.
Old 05-19-23, 12:03 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

Originally Posted by swajames
Our Defender 110 been great, we've had it for a couple of years and we really love it. It's a do-anything kind of vehicle, comfortable for road trips. very capable on and off road, tows over 8000lbs, the air suspension is fantastic (we think it actually rides as well as our prior-gen Range Rover), the tech is decent and has gotten better with OTA updates, and to answer the question that everyone asks it's been completely reliable. The only time it's been back to the dealer since we bought it has been for regular servicing (which was outrageously expensive). We've had good luck with our JLR vehicles reliability-wise, and we didn't have any qualms about getting this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new GX too, but for now we're more than happy with our Defender. We're taking it to Tahoe this coming week.
Oh man, I have good news and bad news.

First, the bad news before I go to bed (it is now 2:30)

I'm a smart idiot at times. I really have not learned my lesson by now clearly, when trusting the wrong people peddling me questionable insight from good places. Someone in this day and age can work for Toyota, yet still be entirely misinformed or uninformed to the level, they'll mislead you right with them. Well, someone official at Toyota who's legit as can be (verified employment) and in the thick of things, rarely answers my questions, but just reached out to me yesterday morning after 8 weeks of silence, answered some new questions I've had to outsource from others (during their silence).

Sadly, that rendering I showed you, I was told this (reworded for concealment purposes): "The rendering is not to my taste. You should know with our Tacoma release today, which direction styling went on that project".
It's battle of the insiders and I'm unfortunately in the middle of it. One is TMNA HQ in Plano, the other is Tier 1 (thousands of miles away from Texas). It's a damn mess and I'll leave it up to you, on who holds more credibility. None of this information belongs to me, I am just a messenger in this context and nothing else. Simply sharing this with Lexus owners here (who might be interested in some 4x4 Toyota products too). I am very sorry if I gave you the wrong impression about the 2025 4Runner, but I am drawing a pattern with reliable vs challenging/questionable insight...

The good news?

You both are really going to love the 2024 Land Cruiser and GX 550/GX 550h. All three of those named, are coming! Hybrid and non-hybrid! (I feel horrible for sharing this without permission). The hints given?

The Prado seems to also be deviating from its foreign soccer mom spec into a "very much intended to be niche offroader".

I own 2-3 Broncos (one is a shared '74, one is spouse's BRaptor) , so the new Land Cruiser is really more special than I thought. I cannot wrap my head around this claim, but I've shown you above an example of what's happening. In the meantime, I'll do my best to find more info for any of you interested.

I'm only going off of what two people have been sharing with me, so I can't control the accuracy of what they're passing on. What I do know is, the Toyota source is more consistent. I hope this doesn't get seen by either, but just my opinion. Not trying to diss anyone, but if you're feeding inconsistent info and I share with it other people, I'm not gonna be too happy about it.

Per his notes:

Stop worrying about pricing and pick what works for you when they come out. Source doesn't see the issues the public (aware of these plans at least), keep mentioning. GX will be the most expensive, but Land Cruiser will be dedicated enough to not clash with the 4Runner. Sequoia is absolutely not a concern at all and has zero relevance here according to him. It's not midsized. Anyone who has private questions to ask me about the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, especially for proof, please tag me in this thread. I want us all on the same page, since news media is not going to do that at this point in time.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-19-23 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

this thread is all over the map. 4runner's? bronco's?
Old 05-19-23, 06:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lol if only they'd release something, a teaser, anything.

I hate how Toyota and Lexus do this. The GX is a 2010 truck, you'd think they'd throw us a bone.
Old 05-19-23, 10:05 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The 4Runner and Land Cruiser are related to this vehicle. In having heard from two different people who've seen the next 4Runner, I came here to clear up any possible inconsistencies between them both and highlight the parallels between GX and Land Cruiser again.

Land Cruiser = Bronco hardtop focus (we'll see)
GX = Boxy Defender 110/130 rival (Credible)

Just refocusing how they are being targeted, from shared insight, until we get something official. Land Cruiser and 4Runner are too rumor laden, to discuss in another thread I figured.

(Gotta get back to work.)
​​​​​​
Old 05-19-23, 12:10 PM
iridium
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed and quite unfortunate...
Old 05-19-23, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by iridium
Agreed and quite unfortunate...
Agreed.

btw. I like your name Iridium. Hopefully the next gen GX gets this wonderful colour

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-19-23 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 12:21 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Makes me want to see the LC too before we order a GX550 but we’re on a bit of a timeline. And also wouldn’t be interested in a turbo 4.

Old 05-19-23, 07:04 PM
guy80
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
Makes me want to see the LC too before we order a GX550 but we’re on a bit of a timeline. And also wouldn’t be interested in a turbo 4.
Agreed - no timeline but exactly my sentiments
Old 05-25-23, 05:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 05-25-23, 05:58 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Looking good! Like the way it is squared off, unlike most SUV's out there. Hoping it will be no bigger than the current version & also offer the option of 5 passenger/3rd row delete like the LX-if it does indeed continue with the 3rd row with this version.
Old 05-25-23, 06:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Here it is: PLEASE no batteries..

Not my pic but that looks about right.
Old 05-25-23, 06:09 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Here it is: PLEASE no batteries..

Not my pic but that looks about right.
That’s not it as the A pillar and fender flares are all wrong. That’s just another incorrect render.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550