Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23 | 07:45 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlficken
Could you link to the EU page for more pictures as all I'm finding is this page - https://newsroom.lexus.eu/all-new-le...n-june-9-2023/
Sure. I am sorry I forgot to do that.

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/all-new-le...n-june-9-2023/

Ours seem to match, I checked Europe's Twitter and it led me to the bigger image.

I now see that USA has the full image up at least at Pressroom USA website in high detail, but it's quite silly already how they don't even bother for two weeks to address reveal, when their sister division in Europe already did.

Larger image of 2024 GX Teaser (May 5, 2023)

​​​​

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-25-23 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-25-23 | 07:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Motor Trend is pushing out half-assed info. All Lexus vehicles will have a hybrid version, but GX 550 is not a hybrid. There's GX 550h as mentioned before. The big hybrid V6 won't be offered in the GX.

They're not official at all. Either Kolesa or some other entity drew them up.

Okay so which is it, hybrid or not?

I meant the Lexus pictures are official and the headlights seem to be pretty much identical on the rendering there.
Old 05-25-23 | 08:15 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJT123
Okay so which is it, hybrid or not?

I meant the Lexus pictures are official and the headlights seem to be pretty much identical on the rendering there.
I said before that there are two models. GX 550 and GX 550h. That's been my stance, stated multiple times in this thread. Motor Trend isn't paying attention to that and or at least their journalists aren't.

The rendering from Kolesa paid good attention to the hood and headlight design. Everything else is off, entirely. The actual design is extremely upright (proven by photos) and the fender flares like I've been mentioning since 2021, are as you can see in the photos.

Those LOL worthy Kolesa renderings look like a nice MMC for the LX and nothing like the new GX in profile. It's not very creative and doesn't listen to key clues which have out there for a long time. The actual grille isn't crossmesh like F-Sports, per the pattern in the Lexus teaser.

The rendering ain't a Lexified G-Wagen meets Defender.

But this is though lol.

​​​​​​

Prematurely basing a rendering on the LX, only tossing in 2 officially shown GX cues (hood/headlights), isn't the way to arrive at the GX. Lexus deserves credit for forging a different path with this vehicle and getting younger Gen Z/Millennials into the fold.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-25-23 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-25-23 | 08:24 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

These latest pics are what i've been dreaming/hoping for the last year and a half since i started shopping the GX.

Looking closely at the side, I love how they're doing the windows and it appears the second row passenger window swoops up and narrows as the glass goes into the cargo area. The turning signal light area looks uniquely small but that doesn't matter to me just an observation. Loved the first pics that leaked of the front hood/fender, that looks great.

I'll have to wait for the full reveal to make an opinion on the black-cladding as opposed to the chrome. One design element that might end up looking a little odd is the horizontal black-cladding that wraps around the rear pillar and flows into the rear cargo windows. It's clearly lower than the cladding at the top of the rear window, so i wonder if that will be a small eyesore of sorts.

Then there's the interior. I have the 2023 luxury trim and it is head and shoulders above the defender in just about everyway. Land Rover has a nice operating system in their infotainment so i'll give them that, but outside of the infotainment those Defender interiors look super down market, and may as well be a Ford. Now that I'm typing this out, I think the biggest surprise are going to be the interior options. If we look at the LX600 there's 5 different trim levels that adds in things like rear entertainment systems, f-sport styling packages, semi-aniline quilted seats... I don't really care about the infotainment at all because you know it's not going to be as good as Tesla/Landrover but i'm drooling at the thought of how nice the luxury trim interior is going to be. This is an all new platform so i'm VERY curious to see how up market they can take this thing.

My body is ready. This thing is going to be so damn cool. More than happy to give up an underpowered V8 that doesn't have the decency to bless us with great sound unless the pedal is in the floor.

Edit: After quickly looking at the other new interiors, praying to lord almighty they use the infotainment systems that were dropped in the new RX/NX and not that absolute cluster-phuk from the LX.

Last edited by woodleathr; 05-25-23 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-25-23 | 08:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'm not really interested in the boxy look..
So far I am mixed. I like the back but the front teaser not really

Couple that with the removal of the V8 and I'll be keeping my 2022 until it's no longer serviceable. .
Sad they no longer have any V8s. Not a tier 1 luxury brand anymore.

I'll be keeping my 2022 until it's no longer serviceable. .
They last forever and they don't break. So you could easily see 2042 or 2052 for you GX460 to finally bit the bullet
Old 05-25-23 | 09:09 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sad they no longer have any V8s. Not a tier 1 luxury brand anymore.
This is an uneducated statement. Will Mercedes become a "tier 2" luxury brand when they inevitably take the V8 out of the G550/G63 in the next 3 years?

I also don't think Lexus was ever a tier-1 luxury brand. Fully loaded, I don't think they have a single vehicle that touches 150k and that's perfectly fine because I don't think anyone ever thought they were in that Bentley, Maybach, Porsche tier anyway. You can't produce boutique high-end luxury when you're the largest manufacture in the world, but that's besides anything i'm concerned with. The only vehicle the GX550 will be second to is the G-Wagon because those Defender interiors are an absolute joke execution of "luxury"

Last edited by woodleathr; 05-25-23 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:17 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Latest GX teaser image dropped today: https://www.clublexus.com/articles/c...ngside-the-tx/

Lexus is flying me to Austin to cover the GX and TX combo launch event (we'll probably also get press materials in advance to write up initial specs and impressions as well).

Here it is again, but brightened:

Old 05-25-23 | 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by woodleathr
Will Mercedes become a "tier 2" luxury brand when they inevitably take the V8 out of the G550/G63 in the next 3 years?
They will be tier 2 brand. Mercedes actually has two fwd sedans as it is....so I guess you can make the argument now.

General Motors has an all new V8 engine this year. Naturally aspirated. 5.5 litres. If GM can do it, Toyota can to....Come on Toyota

Originally Posted by woodleathr
I also don't think Lexus was ever a tier-1 luxury brand. .
I actually agree with you. Lexus always was sort in between a Tier 1 and a Tier 2 brand...like 1.5

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-25-23 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:18 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Latest GX teaser image dropped today: https://www.clublexus.com/articles/c...ngside-the-tx/

Lexus is flying me to Austin to cover the GX and TX combo launch event (we'll probably also get press materials in advance to write up initial specs and impressions as well).

Here it is again, but brightened:

congrats and safe travels.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:21 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Pretty sure I see a latch handle above the license plate...could this mean they're ditching the barn door for a traditional lift gate? Looks like the lift glass is still intact.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:23 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwh13
Pretty sure I see a latch handle above the license plate...could this mean they're ditching the barn door for a traditional lift gate? Looks like the lift glass is still intact.

It's going to be a traditional hatch with pop up rear glass like the current GX has. The release is in the bottom left of the window with the lift point under the wiper hub.

I wish they would have gone with the LC200 design as that's the best rear door/hatch design ever to exist in my opinion.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:33 AM
arentz07

It's going to be a traditional hatch with pop up rear glass like the current GX has. The release is in the bottom left of the window with the lift point under the wiper hub.

I wish they would have gone with the LC200 design as that's the best rear door/hatch design ever to exist in my opinion.
I guess you mean the current LX? Current GX has a swinging-door type of hatch.

I like it. It's probably more practical for more people.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:37 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Is this going to look like the Wagoneer?
Old 05-25-23 | 09:38 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I guess you mean the current LX? Current GX has a swinging-door type of hatch.

I like it. It's probably more practical for more people.

I meant a traditional rear hatch yet it will have the glass able to pop up just like the current GX.
Old 05-25-23 | 09:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

If anything these will sell even more assuming you can get them because you can’t get an LX.

We are not far from 2024 and you still can’t get an LX, at least anywhere near MSRP. LX600 was a 2022.

Lexus would be STUPPPPPPID to “limit” or gouge these bc they are the brand’s bread and butter. Probably the most popular Lexus period in my area.

I do really really like what I see so far, not my wrong rendering though I bet the front end comes out looking at least similar.

They would be very wise to have a clamshell tailgate here that the LX lost and owners loved.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-25-23 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550