Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 06:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok so there will be

1 - GX550h with 4cyl hybrid
2 - GX550 with 6cyl turbo

If so then those numbers are really strange, should be GX500h and GX600.

I guess will see on June 8th - if GX looks anything like Defender that would be awesome. The 1st Gen GX was amazing looking SUV, i was driving behind one the other day and looks so much better than current one.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-25-23 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Like with the LC, LC500 and LC500h...makes no sense
Old 05-25-23, 06:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like with the LC, LC500 and LC500h...makes no sense

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I thought it was clear lol
Honesty. I would put a little money on the possibility that the GX550 is USA only and the GX550h is worldwide only. If you go by Lexus trademarks and the attorney who files them (Christopher Donahue). Lexus LM300h and LM300 has been trademarked. Toyota Harrier has been trademarked. TJ Cruiser. LCF. Celica. TX (trademarked in 2010) CT300h, CT400h, Lexus RX430h, LX520, LX550, LX590, LX600.

so who really knows at the end of the day?

a few things about Toyota and Lexus have caught me off guard. Toyota doesn’t really refer or market the Tundra, Sequoia as hybrids. Referred to as iForce Max where as their cars are Hybrid Max. and they are not the same design as their traditional hybrid models. Also, the Tundra doesn’t have two different engines…they use the same 3.5t and then add hybrid. Same with Sequoia. Same with Tacoma. So it makes sense the 2.4t and the 2.4t/hybrid would the options for the GX. Not sure where the 3.5tt comes from. This GX would be the first GX to be marketed outside of the USA in other major markets. And the Toyota Tacoma with full time 4WD and adaptive variable suspension completely took me by surprise…this is what makes me believe the hybrid option is this…plus toyota added door light …And nobody predicted any of that. This new GX would also be the first GX with two different engines in the US? So I dunno. Maybe there will be a basic GX model that is for overlanders..maybe just the 2.4t and the buyer can custom upgrade it with accessories

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-25-23 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 09:20 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

@LexsCTJill Yes, quite a great bunch of trademark examples you provided. Until this month, I was skeptical of GX 550h coming here to North America. I looked at the Asia filings and rendered it unavailable here.

My 4Runner/etc source lives close to you, his office where he develops Toyota vehicles is near Peterborough, GTA, ON. He would probably answer your questions much better than me, if you two met each other (off the record).

My Plano source and him, have confirmed for me that the GX will be electrified and offer a (I4T) hybrid powertrain in the USA, despite the trademark per region skepticism we both share.

You'll have by 2025 from mid-level:
  • RX 350
  • RX 350h
  • RX 450h+
  • RX 500h
​​
  • TX 350
  • TX 500h
  • TX 550h+
​​​​​​
  • GX 550
  • GX 550h
  • LX 600
  • LX 700h
​​​​​

Originally Posted by E3PO
I appreciate these insights on the new GX. Should we expect the Land Cruiser engine offerings to be similar?
You're welcome, just here to share and update anyone else, if it's useful. Sometimes it's not, but when it is even better.

To keep it simple, I'm having a hard time being confident in anything shared with me on the Land Cruiser other than the i-Force Max hybrid. Non-hybrid engines, are hard to be 100% certain about no matter what anyone tells me in good faith.

It's such a mixed bag on the Land Cruiser powertrains, as I showed my 4Runner source this thread on Tundras.com, where ironically none other than Executive Chief Engineer of Toyota Trucks Engineering Mike Sweers also posts incognito (somewhat like I do LOL). (Don't leak anything there LOL, he'll find ya)

My secondary source was very dismissive of the information in that forum as false, but I can easily dispute his grievances on the accuracy of the report. He is not a Toyota employee, but works for them.

He has seen the new GX in full and 2025 ES. He hasn't seen anything about the V6 in the GX, but just doesn't have access to that info.
​​​​​​
Excess Text Regarding Sources
Spoiler

I can't comfortably answer your questions with utmost confidence right now. I only know that it will be a retro hardcore offroader otherwise, which will offer a hybrid and 3rd row as optional. Bigger than 4Runner too.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Ok so there will be

I guess will see on June 8th - if GX looks anything like Defender that would be awesome. The 1st Gen GX was amazing looking SUV, i was driving behind one the other day and looks so much better than current one.

Yes, the J120 was a great vehicle and quite competitive against the Discovery back in the early 2000s. Very comfortable cruise ship like vehicle. My parents owned one briefly, our first vehicle with a backup camera. My parents got fickle and replaced it with a QX56 after buying into Nissan shares.

Back then Lexus entered that market to rival the Discovery specifically and also solve the affordable 3-row issue, at a time when 3-row crossovers weren't yet a must.

They got lazy with original J150 IMO and didn't spend as much time to develop it. It only improved later post-MMC. When the Discovery (post-LR4) changed focus, I guess Lexus saw an opening with the Defender and G-Wagen.

They've been eyeing a modernized retro 70-Series since 2015 (past discussions to Middle Eastern Lexus/Toyota distributors), but couldn't find a way to make it happen.

I think with those teasers front and side/rear, you get a strong idea of the GX. The GX 550 got applause every time it was shown behind closed doors in prod-prototype form, starting in February 2021 to staff and Lexus dealer personnel.

This is really going to make a huge slam despite loss of 2 cylinders, but I understand the annoyance at the nomenclature vs displacement shenanigans...

Powertrain Side Discussion
Spoiler

I'm very curious if the TTV8 is just an "LFR" only special?

https://youtube.com/shorts/G2Dp65YAw-0?feature=share

Guess we'll see. TTV8 was considered for TNGA-F TRD PROs per Mike Sweers goals (allegedly), but rejected by Japan HQ in favor of TTV6 Hybrid only. Not my claims, shared with me via Toyota internal talk. Just passing this on here...

(Not being off-topic, but sharing video evidence of possible Dynamic Force V8)

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-25-23 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 09:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Ok so there will be

Agreed 100%, I liked my first gen better than my second gen GX. It looked better and got better gas mileage even though it wasn’t supposed to. The only reason I got rid of my 2008 GX was to get more tech and features of the second gen but I still feel overall my 2008 better. In the pic above, the only thing I don’t like is it doesn’t have the roof spoiler and I think they look terrible without it.
Old 05-25-23, 11:28 PM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok so there will be

I think that initial engine options will be
GX 500h 2.4 4-cyl turbo hybrid with about 330 hp (same as Tacoma)
GX 550 3.4 V6 twin-turbo with about 360-380 hp (same as Tundra)
Lexus will want to maintain a gap in power to differentiate between the two powertrain options.
Eventually, Lexus may decide to add a V6 hybrid with >420 hp after a few years as part of a mid-cycle face-lift.

The TX will come with the same engine options as Grand Highlander and the RX, 2.4 4-cyl turbo with about 270 hp and hybrid with about 360 hp.

I suspect the same engine options as the GX will be offered in the new Land Cruiser Prado, and the 2025 4Runner will come with the same engine options as 2024 Tacoma.

Old 05-27-23, 08:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by katekebo
I think that initial engine options will be
GX 500h 2.4 4-cyl turbo hybrid with about 330 hp (same as Tacoma)
GX 550 3.4 V6 twin-turbo with about 360-380 hp (same as Tundra).
According to the sleuths. There is GX550 and GX500h. No GX500h. The detuned Tundra is 340HP BTW

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-27-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-27-23, 12:09 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I must be the minority. I don't like how the 1st gen looks but got hooked onto 2nd gen. I still think it looks nice with the latest grille and light upgrades. And... I don't think we should try to make sense with how Lexus numbers their vehicles.
Old 05-28-23, 09:40 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Post Update

I cannot acquire a digital copy nor wait for a physical one mailed to me from Japan. This is the 2024 Land Cruiser Prado for ROW-only, via Japan's most trusted car magazine Best Car of Kodansha, who do make mistakes, but maintain a good record regardless.

Global 2024 Land Cruiser Prado

2024 Lexus GX 550 with shared rear window shape

This is the direct cousin of the new GX, studying the greenhouse and C-D Pillar area matching it closely. Like I thought, MAG-X's 2D drawings failed to showcase the details of the design well. This one does better.

Our 2024 1/2 American Land Cruiser is related, but doesn't look like the Prado renderings above.

Idea of the Anglo American 2024.5 Land Cruiser

This is closer to our American Land Cruiser, when you remove the 4Runner cues from it and put retro round lights on the front. I do not know if it goes topless, we'll have to wait to find out.

GX = Defender 110/130 straddler with G-Wagen aspirations and luxury overlanding.
Prado = Slightly more sedate, yet boxy GX cousin for international markets
NA Land Cruiser = Retromobile, Non-Luxury product. Designed to battle Bronco and Wrangler.
4Runner = 4Runner+Tacoma SUV

The GX will be the only luxury offering in this midsize segment from TMNA and the new Land Cruiser is not going to be luxurious like the new international Prado nor the V8 200-Series last seen in 2021. It will be interesting to see how all of these fit and don't cannibalize each other, especially with the GX's new position as Lexus' new halo SUV.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-28-23 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 06:21 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I cannot acquire a digital copy nor wait for a physical one mailed to me from Japan. This is the 2024 Land Cruiser Prado for ROW-only, via Japan's most trusted car magazine Best Car of Kodansha

This is closer to our American Land Cruiser, when you remove the 4Runner cues from it and put retro round lights on the front. I do not know if it goes topless, we'll have to wait to find out.
Carmaker1, thank you for the great insight, I sure hope the Land Cruiser and 4Runner are not topless, some of us want a non-leaking, quiet ride without the sunburn.
Old 05-29-23, 05:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner
Carmaker1, thank you for the great insight, I sure hope the Land Cruiser and 4Runner are not topless, some of us want a non-leaking, quiet ride without the sunburn.
Definitely! I guess we have to see at least about the Land Cruiser, since the next 4Runner will be pretty evolutionary. Finally we're getting GX, which will tell us some things and then hopefully as we've been expecting, an autumn debut for the rough-n-tumble Land Cruiser.

BTW, Welcome!

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-29-23 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 05:54 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What do you all think of this rendering? It seems to be closer to the teaser images than any other rendering; https://www.drive.com.au/news/2024-l...d-new-details/.

It looks nice. However, I expect the A pillar to be more vertical based on the teaser unless it is an optical illusion. The frontal image doesn't seem to reflect the mirrors from the teaser.

Last edited by CCTX; 05-29-23 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 06:02 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by CCTX
What do you all think of this rendering? It seems to be closer to the teaser images than any other rendering; https://www.drive.com.au/news/2024-l...d-new-details/.

It looks nice. However, I expect the A pillar to be more vertical based on the teaser unless it is an optical illusion. The frontal image doesn't seem to reflect the mirrors from the teaser.
One of our users on here, is a journalist and responsible for this rendering. I give him a thumbs up, but won't give him away.
Old 05-29-23, 06:04 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
One of our users on here, is a journalist and responsible for this rendering. I give him a thumbs up, but won't give him away.
I believe he did a pretty good job. Nice work!
Old 05-29-23, 07:58 PM
2chains
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front end has that great aggressive look! Very sharp, very different and reminds me of when the 4runner front end refresh came about in 2014. I'm on the fence about the look of the rear, I'll wait for the full views in June.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550