Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-21, 12:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Congratuations BTW, I know you were considering a GX 460, so I figure that was your final choice? As for the choices, I am guessing because the G07 X5, is marketed to be the more junior, sportier model, is BMW's reasoning? And flagship customers only want wood trim?

Hell, I wanted an M7, but this was the next best thing I could get LOL. Alpina B7 was too much for me, so it was a hard pass and I hated the 2020 model, so it was rushed and I didn't get to special order it, like I usually do for new vehicles.

I am really not liking the LCI/facelift 2023 X7 nor the new G70 7-Series fascias. If people thought that Bangle was bad circa 2004, they're in for a very rude awakening next year.
I have owned both gen GX's and always loved them but I had my 2012 GX460 for 6 years. I don't hold on to my cars that long but I was waiting for a complete replacement and it never came (and still hasn't). I don't want a refresh as it is basically the same car with a few extra little things and new front and rear bumpers. I also considered a LX but the same thing bothered me, it was basically the same thing for a number of years with a few different updates. As a result, I ended up getting a SRT Durango and then after that lease was up I picked up a X7 M50i. I couldn't justify the cost of the Alpina and I don't like the wheels anyway.
Old 09-19-21, 05:27 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.....GM really got caught flat-footed, for example, when Ford introduced the Mustang in April of 1964. Chrysler, apparently, had known it was coming...they had a 1964 Plymouth Barracuda competitor ready to go a couple of weeks before the Mustang, although it was little more than a Valiant with a big glass fastback roof.

You may remember Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Tom MaCahill, and the Norbye/Dunne Reviews......a lot of readers got auto info from them.

Here, in D.C., we didn't have a real auto show until the 1980s and the first Convention Center. There was a show at the old D.C. Armory, but it was not very impressive. I think I first went to it in 1970, my senior year in high school, with a friend of mine.

Yep.....remember Lisa well. She, John Davis, and Pat Goss were long-time staples on that show. John was unusual (I've met him several times) in that he was friendly, down to Earth, and showed none of the ego that you often find in that type of business.

I can't prove it, but I suspect that Ford withheld up-to-date info on the Bronco and Bronco Sport for some time, just to keep generating hype. It seemed to work, though......supposedly, they reserved 150,000 of them on the first day they started taking orders and retainers.

Bridges can sometimes be rebuilt. Nothing is forever.

Yes, GM was caught off guard. They learned about the Mustang effort in late 1963 or so. As for Chrysler, I can imagine they had similar thoughts, but learned about the Mustang earlier than GM did and responded. Whether they saw advance imagery, is a different story. The Mustang design was already completed by end of summer 1962.

In terms of print publications, those you mentioned are 100% what I am referring to. Popular Mechanics' Spy Report in particular. They were the exact entities printing out spy shots, starting in the 1980s and THOSE were REAL spy shots. Today's stuff, is often marketing drivel. Only a few, really are truly freelance and publish stuff, for public consumption. The rest, like paparazzi, take staged photos and work with marketing divisions nowadays.

So, not until the 1980s? Interesting, must have interesting to see the latest and greatest muscle cars of 1970, brand new! Sadly for me, my father has never been into performance cars and is all about big-bodied luxury cars since his own youth. I almost took that trajectory, but instead diversified my palate. I can't fit into a box at all. Love stickshift and/or high performance machines, both on and off road, but you can easily find me in your cushy and tech-laden flagship product.

I am not surprised that was your experience with the MW staff, that has always been the case with them I imagine. Very down to earth. John could get really stubborn on wanting voltmeters in every single car made and a little bit too demanding with imports, but nonetheless didn't come across as egotistical, as many other industry personalities I have met and are condescendingly shocked at who I am and what I do for a living.

Nah, it was a mixture of sorts, not deliberately designed to drive hype. Typically, these vehicles are put into public rounds as soon as verification prototypes are ready to go, but because of the weirdest reasoning, they were kept guarded for half a year. A lot of hopeful Bronco owners and existing classic Bronco owners on a large forum, hinged on my every word for many, many months in 2019 and 2020, because corporate didn't want anything detracting from Mustang Mach-E late 2019 debut and withheld information on anything Bronco.

So absolutely nothing that could tease Bronco visually, was allowed until later in 2019 and 2020. After last teasing a styling buck in spring 2018, Bronco SILENCE was forced (until November 2019), right as a climax was now reached with final styling being set in July 2018 and it needing to stay secret as possible, until close enough to 2020. Followers were so upset.

I strongly disagreed with this policy and sidestepped it, until almost being caught giving out the debut date almost 2 years ago (as a mole trap). The hype train was established with the 2016 decision to announce it too early, create the 2019 Bronco R desert runner concept, and reveal the new Bronco 10 months before intended launch (ended up being 11 months).

Thanks for the optimism, but I am fine with burning that bridge (wasn't CL), as it was of my own volition. From what I can see, the given parties are still very content with their unfair behavior and continue to double down on their opinionated conjecture against my employer, right in front of me and knowing since I don't want controversy or strife in an easygoing atmosphere, I won't strike back.

I politely bowed out on my own terms and they can keep at it. I won't be party to any of their unsubstantiated criticisms, as I don't come into Lexus spaces to argue and defend a competitor to that personal degree. It's unfortunate, but I made that call quietly and will post here instead at most.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can you clarify highlighted part?
Haha, wow. Don't ban me, but this is my idea. I am Gen Y and from my observation, I feel that this is the GX customer base today, in terms of those buying/leasing new or CPO. When I study, the audience for the current 4Runner, GX 470, and third owner GX 460s, it is very telling what I hear. All this gushing over the 70-Series Land Cruiser and lamenting the fact Toyota refuses to export it over here. Or how the Lexus SUVs are creme de la creme or vanilla for them, so they tack on stuff like this.

I own a lot of 4x4s, so for me I am in the mix somewhat, but unlike a lot of them, I get and respect the mission statement for the current GX and LX. I don't chastise Lexus, for marketing them to the country club/golf club set and call them overpriced junk. Then later salivate over them, simply because they've depreciated enough. I see this all too often.

This to me is the current GX demographic:

The replacement demographic? Well I will get to that in another post...

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-19-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 05:35 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

This is who Lexus is trying to target going forward and might alienate some of the traditional demographic above.

The younger, rugged individualist professional or influencer, with pockets full of money. The one you'll find catching a beer at the local sports bar in their free time and not playing golf or tennis at the club. The one who lives in the woods, when not in the office or working from home. Those who like to get down and dirty in the mud with their vehicles. Who live to read TREAD magazine. The upper income professional city slickers who may not necessarily be blue collar or rural, but feel so within themselves and like to have big fun.

A lot of older folks in general, will not be too interested in that kind of GX, unless they are young at heart and not stuffy like my own parents. More than half of the people I know who own a GX currently, will be turned off, as they are extremely conservative and do not favor that look.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-19-21 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 05:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

that's pretty funny.

so from mostly practical types to narcissistic posers.
Old 09-20-21, 05:53 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's pretty funny.

so from mostly practical types to narcissistic posers.
Well LMAO, I did not want to offend anyone here, who might potentially fall into the latter category. While I might enjoy offroading, I dress like the former category and often feel out of place at certain 4x4 events I go to. Unfortunately, the temptation to engage with the Instagram influencer crowd, is too irresistible for Lexus to ignore. Looking at the recent IS and RC ads, this isn't shocking at all. They're focusing the LS, LX, RX, and ES crowd on the former group.

Is it no wonder that they fired James Sloyan in 2010 and then his successor about 4 years ago and went with "Experience Amazing". I miss, the "Passionate Pursuit of Perfection".
Old 09-20-21, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Case in point, I know a TON of real estate agents who have GX460s. Over 6k GVWR (section 179 deduction baby) and its a Lexus. In reality, its a terrible vehicle for real estate agents but whatever lol

So I'm thinking, poor mans G Wagen? Well....only makes $300k a year man's G Wagen lol.

I think thats a smart move for Lexus provided they do come out with a 3 row crossover in that $60-80k price point.
Old 09-20-21, 06:18 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Case in point, I know a TON of real estate agents who have GX460s. Over 6k GVWR (section 179 deduction baby) and its a Lexus. In reality, its a terrible vehicle for real estate agents but whatever lol

So I'm thinking, poor mans G Wagen? Well....only makes $300k a year man's G Wagen lol.

I think thats a smart move for Lexus provided they do come out with a 3 row crossover in that $60-80k price point.
Haha, no kidding. My real estate agent who sold my Grosse Pointe house, alternated between a late model GX 460 and a 2021 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Someone like that will run away from this type of vehicle LOL.

What you said about poor mans G Wagen, is on target. That's what they are totally going after.

I think the TX 500h should price out in the middle of the range you gave, but I don't know what they intend to do for a 3 row above that. Nothing FWD in origin touches $80k in the 7-8 pass. crossover segment, outside of Audi and they all have standard Quattro AWD. They are a cut above the rest of FWD 7-8 seaters.

Lexus might approach the upper end of the large crossover segment, with an EV down the road I imagine.
Old 09-20-21, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think if the TX is a good design (not like the RXL) and it can be had in the 60s,70s I think that will do well
Old 09-21-21, 11:53 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

I believe that's the key differentiator. The ability to charge more for the TX than the RXL. Toyota is now showing how, they can keep almost anything close to vest if they wish to. There is absolutely nothing on the new RX out there at all, let alone the TX. GX which is coming later than them, is already spilling out 2 years before launch.
Old 09-22-21, 03:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I believe that's the key differentiator. The ability to charge more for the TX than the RXL. Toyota is now showing how, they can keep almost anything close to vest if they wish to. There is absolutely nothing on the new RX out there at all, let alone the TX. GX which is coming later than them, is already spilling out 2 years before launch.
i think if they field a good product they can charge more for the TX.
Old 09-22-21, 04:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I think if the TX is a good design (not like the RXL) and it can be had in the 60s,70s I think that will do well
At 70k, the RX's 2.4L turbo 4 wont do. At a minimum a detuned 3.5tt V6.
Old 09-22-21, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
At 70k, the RX's 2.4L turbo 4 wont do. At a minimum a detuned 3.5tt V6.
The RX doesnt have a 2.4L turbo 4, It has a NA 3.5L V6 unless its the hybrid.

I think they can sell a $70k loaded 3 row crossover with that NA V6 they have. The MDX, QX60, etc etc have NA V6s. A loaded MDX is low $60s, loaded QX is mid 60s. $5k more for a loaded Lexus thats similar? Sure.
Old 09-22-21, 11:30 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

The RX doesnt have a 2.4L turbo 4, It has a NA 3.5L V6 unless its the hybrid.

I think they can sell a $70k loaded 3 row crossover with that NA V6 they have. The MDX, QX60, etc etc have NA V6s. A loaded MDX is low $60s, loaded QX is mid 60s. $5k more for a loaded Lexus thats similar? Sure.
He's referring to the redesigned 2023 vehicle, not the age-old K-Platform current model. Lexus has managed to possibly carefully mask the powertrain change coming for the RX 350, being that they already own the trademark and unlike RX 500h or RX450h+, they don't have file trademark for it again.

I bet you that the next RX 350 won't have a GR under the hood, but the T24A-FTS at a higher output. That being said, I have something to discuss in terms of future Lexus powertrains.
Old 09-22-21, 11:45 PM
F1Mercedes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to make my first post on here to say oh wow! That's a really interesting observation @Carmaker1.

Also do you mind dming me on that other site? I can't seem to dm on here and wanted to ask you a private question regarding the latest rumors! Sorry mods if this last part is a little bit awkward.
Old 09-23-21, 12:10 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by F1Mercedes
I wanted to make my first post on here to say oh wow! That's a really interesting observation @Carmaker1.

Also do you mind dming me on that other site? I can't seem to dm on here and wanted to ask you a private question regarding the latest rumors! Sorry mods if this last part is a little bit awkward.
, sure. Nice to see ya

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550