Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 08:23 PM
TonicGin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great design but that 17mpg is hard to swallow. How the hell is it less efficient than LX600?
Old 06-08-23, 08:32 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TonicGin
Great design but that 17mpg is hard to swallow. How the hell is it less efficient than LX600?
My guess is that's for the version with off-road tires.
Old 06-08-23, 08:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Outstanding work by Toyota. Excellent product here. I’m taken back by the 33” tires. I agree with others that it looks like a LX450. Pure gas with no hybrid and full time four wheel drive with a Torsen a diff. I would buy it in blue

BIG HIT on their hands at Lexus
Old 06-08-23, 09:00 PM
GenXer460
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built this up way too much in my mind and find myself underwhelmed. To be clear - it's a very cool redesign, and I'm a Lexus fan either way, but I'm just now wowed like most of you. I am also probably biased. I have 2022 and when I compare the visuals and engine bang-for-buck - I like mine way more.

It will grow on me, but right now I'm slightly underwhelmed - visually are cool, but reminds me a bit of land rovers-ish. removes the V8 but no marginal improvement on mileage; interior looks less luxurious than the previous models upon first glance; and undoubtedly the new one will likely cost 8%-15% more than the old ones if you use Sequoia increases as a starting point.

Again, I'll come around, but I'm currently definitely NOT regretting waiting for this v. buying my 2022.

Let the friendly bashing of my critique begin

Cheers!
Old 06-08-23, 10:55 PM
newwat
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXer460
I built this up way too much in my mind and find myself underwhelmed. To be clear - it's a very cool redesign, and I'm a Lexus fan either way, but I'm just now wowed like most of you. I am also probably biased. I have 2022 and when I compare the visuals and engine bang-for-buck - I like mine way more.

It will grow on me, but right now I'm slightly underwhelmed - visually are cool, but reminds me a bit of land rovers-ish. removes the V8 but no marginal improvement on mileage; interior looks less luxurious than the previous models upon first glance; and undoubtedly the new one will likely cost 8%-15% more than the old ones if you use Sequoia increases as a starting point.

Again, I'll come around, but I'm currently definitely NOT regretting waiting for this v. buying my 2022.

Cheers!
I'm with you in that I think I built it up too much. With that said, the dark gray color in what I assume is the premium or luxury trim, looks pretty good. I'm keeping my hopes up, so I called my local dealer and made deposit to be on the wait-list.
Old 06-09-23, 01:39 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXer460

Cheers!

I agree with everything you wrote.

I’m sure it’ll grow on me but I’ll be keeping my 2022 as long as I possibly can.
Old 06-09-23, 03:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I’ll wait for the full reviews when they are actually honest. In the picture I posted I can see that the rear of the armrest where the backseat climate control buttons are is all hard plastic with visible seams, something Lexus is usually better about.
Lol. Ok, so now you are talking about climate controls for back passengers which are behind the center armrest, under the knee level? Yes, it is plastic?

You obviously want it to be bad, so no amount of videos of people pushing and probing and doing close ups will be good enough.

Anyway, your orginal point - front console is wrapped in leather, even the area around the shifter where Lexus usually puts plastic is wrapped in leather that you thought is hard plastic, lol
Old 06-09-23, 04:49 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Apparently this new design is a big change and directed to a different group from previous gen. It’s a cool boxy design. They sure will draw more crowd in. I wonder how the typical gx owners feel about this. I will wait until I can check it out before judging but I don’t like the dash design. Hope it has enough power to move this thing around as a DD.
Old 06-09-23, 05:04 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

OK, I like it and would consider it to replace my 2010 LX but I have 2 requirements that I'm not seeing yet. Anyone know if it has:
1) 2nd row captains chairs?
2) Pano roof? Or at least a moonroof bigger than one of the pics I've seen thus far which looks the same size as what's in my old LX?

Understandably there is a big focus on the Overtrail for some of the videos that have been posted thus far since that's so new and different for Lexus. But I'd be looking at the more luxury trims and would only be interested if both of those above boxes are checked.

Great looking SUV. I was praying the rear window would roll down when I read they killed the swinging door but no such luck.
Old 06-09-23, 05:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

this seems to compete with the land rover defender. the LRD comes in trims with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine and a huge price range (60K to over 110K).

does lexus offer air suspension on the new gx?

also, since this apparently won't actually be available until next year, won't that kill of sales of the current one for 6 months or more?
Old 06-09-23, 05:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

duplicate.......

Last edited by AJT123; 06-09-23 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 05:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

People who have old LXs, don't get rid of them... just buy this too. At least that's what we'll do. Well kept 200s will be worth a fortune in 10 years.

I like the power output of this new GX but yes the MPG isn't that great at all, not that I would care if I owned one. I still want a V8 but it's gone.

However, we aren't stuck with a hybrid like in the really nice Toyotas, so that's a huggggge win.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
t

also, since this apparently won't actually be available until next year, won't that kill of sales of the current one for 6 months or more?
Nope. Old one is still flying off lots. And it does have a V8 and is literally the most reliable vehicle on the road.
Old 06-09-23, 05:51 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Based on the folding of the second row, it doesn’t seem like the 3rd row will fold into the floor. As such, would that mean we run into the whole sequoia layout? Ie you have a non flat loading floor with all seats down?
Old 06-09-23, 06:17 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage78
Based on the folding of the second row, it doesn’t seem like the 3rd row will fold into the floor. As such, would that mean we run into the whole sequoia layout? Ie you have a non flat loading floor with all seats down?
that is on the overtrail model so it might be different on the other trims. I would venture to guess the 3rd row will fold into the floor like the current generation .
Old 06-09-23, 06:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Not sure if this dash picture has been added here yet (I didn't see any so far).

Also, it seems that Toyota is planning to use the same platform for hybrids and full BEVs.

Lexus GX Platform Could Underpin New EVs, Will Stick Around For A Long Time

The ladder frame provides flexibility to support different drivetrain configurations and battery locations.

https://insideevs.com/news/671272/le...nderpin-evs%2F

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550