Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23 | 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^ with BOF they have tons of room for a big battery pack... an ev GX would be epic.
Old 06-09-23 | 06:21 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by grabber2
Sht, the new GX in that metallic gray looks so freaking good. Looks like I found the replacement for my old LX570.........
that colorway is "incognito" and concur it looks really good.

I think nori green would look good on this as well

Old 06-09-23 | 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Apparently this new design is a big change and directed to a different group from previous gen. It’s a cool boxy design. They sure will draw more crowd in. I wonder how the typical gx owners feel about this. I will wait until I can check it out before judging but I don’t like the dash design. Hope it has enough power to move this thing around as a DD.
GX460 owner and I love this new model. If anything I would want the hybrid model. POWA!
Old 06-09-23 | 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ with BOF they have tons of room for a big battery pack... an ev GX would be epic.
Well if the Sequioa is anything to go by, the GA-F really isnt hybrid or battery friendly.
Old 06-09-23 | 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

this seems to compete with the land rover defender. the LRD comes in trims with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine and a huge price range (60K to over 110K).

does lexus offer air suspension on the new gx?

also, since this apparently won't actually be available until next year, won't that kill of sales of the current one for 6 months or more?
This is exactly what it is. Lexus was apparently trying to appeal both to lifestyle/adventure buyers and family/luxury buyers with the GX before, and now that they have the TX they feel that they don't have to do that any longer. Like the ES and GS and ES and IS. ES can be soft and luxury only and the IS and GS can be sporty. The GX can be rugged/offroad and appeal to the same sort of buyer who might buy a Defender and the TX can be soft and shapeless and family transport.

I love the new GX, but its nothing I would ever buy like I would never buy a 4Runner or an FJ or a Defender or a Wrangler, etc. The TX is too far in the other direction for me I think...so I think it will be interesting to see how this vehicle does. How many truly adventure/outdoor people are out there who aren't going to spring for a Defender anyways...

An example of buyer, my cousin makes a really good living and has an old FJ he LOVES. He has never replaced it because there is nothing he could ever buy that would appeal to him in the same way. He could buy a Defender, but he is worried about it being broken down all the time. I bet he would buy one of these. How many people out there like him though?
Old 06-09-23 | 06:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Well if the Sequioa is anything to go by, the GA-F really isnt hybrid or battery friendly.
----^ he's right you know.

I find it interesting you're stuck with batteries with high end Tundras (and Sequoia), but the Lexus trucks are ICE only-- thank god.
Old 06-09-23 | 07:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lol. Ok, so now you are talking about climate controls for back passengers which are behind the center armrest, under the knee level? Yes, it is plastic?

You obviously want it to be bad, so no amount of videos of people pushing and probing and doing close ups will be good enough.

Anyway, your orginal point - front console is wrapped in leather, even the area around the shifter where Lexus usually puts plastic is wrapped in leather that you thought is hard plastic, lol
Stop being silly. I said earlier in this thread that I'm putting in a deposit to buy one. I said nothing about the area around the shifter, I was specifically talking about the rear of the console which is very blatantly hard plastic with visible seams which is cheaper looking than the last gen. I wouldn't have posted the picture I did otherwise.

Last edited by TangoRed; 06-09-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-09-23 | 07:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is exactly what it is. Lexus was apparently trying to appeal both to lifestyle/adventure buyers and family/luxury buyers with the GX before, and now that they have the TX they feel that they don't have to do that any longer. Like the ES and GS and ES and IS. ES can be soft and luxury only and the IS and GS can be sporty. The GX can be rugged/offroad and appeal to the same sort of buyer who might buy a Defender and the TX can be soft and shapeless and family transport.

I love the new GX, but its nothing I would ever buy like I would never buy a 4Runner or an FJ or a Defender or a Wrangler, etc. The TX is too far in the other direction for me I think...so I think it will be interesting to see how this vehicle does. How many truly adventure/outdoor people are out there who aren't going to spring for a Defender anyways...

An example of buyer, my cousin makes a really good living and has an old FJ he LOVES. He has never replaced it because there is nothing he could ever buy that would appeal to him in the same way. He could buy a Defender, but he is worried about it being broken down all the time. I bet he would buy one of these. How many people out there like him though?
These types of trucks are like cat nip for me. I think there's a solid amount of people that would love a Defender but would buy this instead. I'm not even scared of unreliable/annoying vehicles and this is on my buy list.
Old 06-09-23 | 08:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Platforms that can dual purpose ICE & BEV are never optimal and the results always show. Look at the BMW i4 M50--it's somewhat big outside, super teeny tiny inside, tiny rear doors and lots of hard plastics and EXPENSIVE. And that's just the appearance/size. Also: Low range, low storage (no frunk), inefficient etc. Yes that's a unibody car but I can imagine a big battery eating into things for this ladder truck. Perhaps this GX will stay best as a full gas truck.

As to this truck itself... it doesn't look that premium to me. Not unique. To me this, could've been a Toyota, Jeep, etc. The exterior of the old GX (facelifted) was nicer and had more polish and class. The new GX exterior looks like a shiny Bronco and that's about it. Land Rover does class/elegant off roaders perfectly. The interior of the new one is a big upgrade, except for some cheap un-Lexus-like plastics. Also this new GX is using the same cheap blinker/wiper stalks from the ES. Still... the TX is far far worse. Give me a facelifted last gen GX, LX any day. i'm not usually a "XYZ company has lost its way" type of person, but i think Lexus has lost its way. No GS? The TX... a half baked IS update, no more V8s (the other big luxury makes still have them), no LFA update, the LS (which isn't that good) being seemingly phased out, no plans for a new one
Old 06-09-23 | 08:10 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Loving this new GX way to go Lexus the new LX underwhelmed in it's debut but this one! Woot, this thing is going to sell I can see it already!
Old 06-09-23 | 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Looking at these two Lexus debuts, it's clear the interior cost cutting bug hit Lexus too. The absence of trim and hard plastic on the console is significant departure from the norm.

can you share an example of what you consider 'the norm'?

this is a vehicle targeted for people who go off road, not a night at the opera with a chauffeur
Old 06-09-23 | 09:06 AM
Gentilly7
1st Gear

Am I the only one that noticed this huge gear tunnel hump? This might make it a pain to sit a full size adult in the middle.
Old 06-09-23 | 09:17 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

I know we're in the minority here, but I would love to see an EV GX. We bought an EV two years ago, and now our '14 GX really only gets driven when we tow or go off-road.
Old 06-09-23 | 09:44 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by situman
GX460 owner and I love this new model. If anything I would want the hybrid model. POWA!
Are you a typical GX owner?
Originally Posted by SW17LS
It seems to make sense but...
1. Is TX still in the range for GX folks?
2. How common are your cousin type customers?
Old 06-09-23 | 09:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

can you share an example of what you consider 'the norm'?

this is a vehicle targeted for people who go off road, not a night at the opera with a chauffeur
This is going to be a $70K+ truck regardless and you know very well the original owners aren't actually going to take this off road in big numbers. Anyways, you can see in the previous gen that there was no segmented hard plastic pieces extending over the center hump and there was expanded functionality for the rear climate. It's a nitpicky thing and I'm looking foward to evaluating the interior myself. None of this is a dealbreaker.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550