Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 09:53 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

And those hideous plastic door handles, material of which that gen GX has FARRRRRR too much inside in general even though it is high quality. One of the reasons we decided to wait and go for LX.

Where do we sign for this new GX?
Old 06-09-23, 10:50 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I wonder if they didn’t show the 3-row model since it probably is terrible like the Sequoia. I know this isn’t a true 3-row but still.
Old 06-09-23, 10:56 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Is 17 MPG combined mileage showing in AoA video correct? Or that mileage is for that specific trim only?
I don't get it, why Toyota let go V8 but the gas mileage is not better and fall into Gas Guzzler tax (not sure &#128532.
Old 06-09-23, 11:00 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Platforms that can dual purpose ICE & BEV are never optimal and the results always show. Look at the BMW i4 M50--it's somewhat big outside, super teeny tiny inside, tiny rear doors and lots of hard plastics and EXPENSIVE. And that's just the appearance/size. Also: Low range, low storage (no frunk), inefficient etc. Yes that's a unibody car but I can imagine a big battery eating into things for this ladder truck. Perhaps this GX will stay best as a full gas truck.

As to this truck itself... it doesn't look that premium to me. Not unique. To me this, could've been a Toyota, Jeep, etc. The exterior of the old GX (facelifted) was nicer and had more polish and class. The new GX exterior looks like a shiny Bronco and that's about it. Land Rover does class/elegant off roaders perfectly. The interior of the new one is a big upgrade, except for some cheap un-Lexus-like plastics. Also this new GX is using the same cheap blinker/wiper stalks from the ES. Still... the TX is far far worse. Give me a facelifted last gen GX, LX any day. i'm not usually a "XYZ company has lost its way" type of person, but i think Lexus has lost its way. No GS? The TX... a half baked IS update, no more V8s (the other big luxury makes still have them), no LFA update, the LS (which isn't that good) being seemingly phased out, no plans for a new one
IMO, you present the typical GX owners. This is the group that Lexus will lose from introducing these new designs.
Old 06-09-23, 11:08 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Is 17 MPG combined mileage showing in AoA video correct? Or that mileage is for that specific trim only?
I don't get it, why Toyota let go V8 but the gas mileage is not better and fall into Gas Guzzler tax (not sure &#128532.
The fuel economy isn't great, but no one buying vehicles in this class is going to be particularly high-centered on fuel economy. The main reasons this uses the new engine rather than the V8 is because it delivers a lot more power but more importantly massively more torque, particularly lower in the RPM range.
Old 06-09-23, 11:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This is going to be a $70K+ truck regardless and you know very well the original owners aren't actually going to take this off road in big numbers.
while the current gx has not been used off road all that much, obviously lexus targeted the new one to be, especially since they now have the tx for 'normal' use.

Anyways, you can see in the previous gen that there was no segmented hard plastic pieces extending over the center hump and there was expanded functionality for the rear climate. It's a nitpicky thing and I'm looking foward to evaluating the interior myself. None of this is a dealbreaker.

about the lack of hump on this current one... i suspect the new one has raised the drive shaft so there's more ground clearance?
Old 06-09-23, 11:10 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I wonder if they didn’t show the 3-row model since it probably is terrible like the Sequoia. I know this isn’t a true 3-row but still.
3rd row lays flat and is raised a bit just like current GX
Old 06-09-23, 11:13 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
it's in the press release ...2nd to last page

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/le...ss_Release.pdf
Old 06-09-23, 11:24 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand the nitpicking of the interior. I assume this is a direct competitor to something like a Jeep Rubicon, the interior here is so much better than the Jeep, but I doubt the intended audience even cares all that much.

Same with the fuel efficiency, if you want something that is meant for city driving, they have other offerings that are better suited. Plus, why would you want to look like your going off-road when you aren't going to do that?
Old 06-09-23, 11:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while the current gx has not been used off road all that much, obviously lexus targeted the new one to be, especially since they now have the tx for 'normal' use.
I understand, but again the amount of people who actually take $70k+ SUVs offroad isn't very large at all. Mark Allen, who until recently was head of design at Jeep, told ABC News sometime in 2019 that only about 15% of Jeep Wrangler owners take their vehicles off road. That should tell you everything about how many people use SUVs for their supposed purpose.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I don't understand the nitpicking of the interior. I assume this is a direct competitor to something like a Jeep Rubicon, the interior here is so much better than the Jeep, but I doubt the intended audience even cares all that much.

Same with the fuel efficiency, if you want something that is meant for city driving, they have other offerings that are better suited. Plus, why would you want to look like your going off-road when you aren't going to do that?
This is a direct competitor to the Land Rover Defender. This an altogether more wealthy and sophisticated buyer than someone who screams at Jeep if they *hint* at getting rid of the Wrangler Rubicon's solid front axle. The GX is for people who have money, dig the overlanding look, and capability. There are very likely some overlap between Wrangler and potential GX550 customers, but I can guarantee you it's not the majority. I think it's important to remember just how pricey this truck will be.

Honestly, some of you seem to act as if the 4Runner isn't coming with similar specs in a more workhorse ready package.

Last edited by TangoRed; 06-09-23 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 11:40 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 06-09-23, 11:45 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I understand, but again the amount of people who actually take $70k+ SUVs offroad isn't very large at all. Mark Allen, who until recently was head of design at Jeep, told ABC News sometime in 2019 that only about 15% of Jeep Wrangler owners take their vehicles off road. That should tell you everything about how many people use SUVs for their supposed purpose.

This is a direct competitor to the Land Rover Defender. This an altogether more wealthy and sophisticated buyer than someone who screams at Jeep if they *hint* at getting rid of the Wrangler Rubicon's solid front axle. The GX is for people who have money, dig the overlanding look, and capability. There are very likely some overlap between Wrangler and potential GX550 customers, but I can guarantee you it's not the majority. I think it's important to remember just how pricey this truck will be.
Maybe its no longer the case, but I could have sworn when I was shopping for a GX 460 and test drove some Jeeps, I saw some Jeep Rubicons that were getting into the same price range about 70k ish for the 4xe model.
Old 06-09-23, 11:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Are you a typical GX owner?
What's a typical GX owner? The typical owner to me means anyone that wants one and loves it and majority driven on road. I fit those criterias.
Old 06-09-23, 11:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
IMO, you present the typical GX owners. This is the group that Lexus will lose from introducing these new designs.
Not necessarily. It has enough trim levels for people to choose from.
Old 06-09-23, 11:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Maybe its no longer the case, but I could have sworn when I was shopping for a GX 460 and test drove some Jeeps, I saw some Jeep Rubicons that were getting into the same price range about 70k ish for the 4xe model.
You're totally right, they can be optioned up that amount and there's a Wrangler 392 that's even more expensive. However, the Rubicon starts at $49k and represents only a portion of total Jeep sales. The amount of people buying $60k+ Rubicons and 392s is small, but lucrative. The GX will be starting at that price and is going to be attracting all sorts of relatively wealthy people looking for Lexus reliability and an outdoorsy image. Despite the focus on offroad, you will see families in here, overlanding folks, people who just love boxy SUVs like me. No different than Defender and G-wagen owners.

Again, the 4Runner will still exist for a reason.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550