Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
He's referring to the redesigned 2023 vehicle, not the age-old K-Platform current model. Lexus has managed to possibly carefully mask the powertrain change coming for the RX 350, being that they already own the trademark and unlike RX 500h or RX450h+, they don't have file trademark for it again.

I bet you that the next RX 350 won't have a GR under the hood, but the T24A-FTS at a higher output. That being said, I have something to discuss in terms of future Lexus powertrains.
I would agree with that then
Old 07-19-22, 07:56 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Bumping this thread because i'll be looking to get my first lexus in Q4, but if we get sneak peaks by then and it ends up looking anything remotely like a "Lexus G-Wagon" i will sit on my hands for however long is needed to scoop one up.

Just got engaged so in the car market for my first "family car". I've always been a sport sedan/coupe guy as a bachelor but now looking for more "practical family car". Was initially looking at the ES and the RX. Then i discovered the GX's existence, and i love the look/size of it but hate the 2005-like gas mileage and similar year looking dashboard. Planned on just comfort-maxing by getting an 2022 RX450h (not interested in the 2023 4 cylinder, and i think it just looks like a sexy mini-van), but i can't shake my interest in the GX and feel like they're gonna knock it out of the park with the redesign. Fully prepared to wait a year.

Last edited by woodleathr; 07-19-22 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 08:20 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Just followed up briefly on this last page and seeing CarMaker1's post, didn't read it all but thought the demographic targeting bit was interesting. Full Transparency, i've literally never even considered a toyota/lexus. I'm only even looking at them because my new job would allow me to lease one at a substantial discount.

I am the annoying millennial that true car enthusiasts hate. As a redditor put it "The most offroading the average RX or G-Wagon buyer does is jumping a curb turning into a starbucks drive thru too sharply." That's me and my fiance. The absolute worst terrain we would ever face is going to a horse farm in the winter, as they're usually in super rural unpaved areas. Most of my social circle drive Mercedes/Audi SUVs. We are all consciously aware that toyota/lexus has superior longevity and reliability we just simply don't care.

The badge on the car doesn't matter half as much as being in line with styling trends. The hottest trends seem to either be the "Sport Coupe on Steroids" look (BMW X6 and Mercedes GLE Coupe) or the "Plush-militant box on wheels" look (re: G-Wagon/Range Rover even with trash reliability). I've always known Lexus to be the "RX old people suv brand" and to me the 2023 RX somehow looks worse. Like a sexy 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. This is probably why the GX initially appealed to me but that center console is downright ghastly to look at in a 2022 car lot.

Off topic: Hate the new Broncos, would rather dump money in restoring a vintage one.

-Cringey Poser Millennial

Last edited by woodleathr; 07-19-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by woodleathr
(not interested in the 2023 4 cylinder, and i think it just looks like a sexy mini-van), but i can't shake my interest in the GX and feel like they're gonna knock it out of the park with the redesign. Fully prepared to wait a year.
Better hope for more than 4 banger with a battery/EV. Last chance to get a Lexus V8 with full time 4WD
Old 08-19-22, 07:07 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

....so how bout dat der 2023GX. just lmao.
Old 03-03-23, 02:08 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite pleased that Lexus USA have held firm to what I reported some years ago. Launch is still on schedule for December 2023. You really can't make these things up can you?

Credit to VFD90 on Reddit

Right once again and just the same with TX launching in September 2023.
Old 03-03-23, 02:11 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Quite pleased that Lexus USA have held firm to what I reported some years ago. Launch is still on schedule for December 2023. You really can't make these things up can you?

Credit to VFD90 on Reddit

Right once again and just the same with TX launching in September 2023.
Why would there be 2 TX and LC model launches?
Old 03-03-23, 03:56 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
Why would there be 2 TX and LC model launches?
Picture blurred, it but it's a staggered launch of LC Inspiration Series and TX PHEV.

On a side note.. wonder how extensive the LC refresh will be.. just an interior touchscreen update or exterior too? Hopefully they don't do a half-assed touchscreen update like the LS, and actually integrate it into the design.
Old 03-04-23, 03:43 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

If the launch date for the GX is December, is that considered the production date? Will we see an actual prototype a few months prior?
Old 03-04-23, 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

guessing a new gx will be a shortened sequoia with the turbo v6.
Old 03-04-23, 11:16 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What happens to the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado for which the current GX 460 is closely related to?
Old 03-05-23, 08:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
guessing a new gx will be a shortened sequoia with the turbo v6.
As bad as the Sequoia is, shortening the wheelbase and putting a Lexus badge on it seems like a recipe for disaster. I would hope they'd keep it on the LC Prado/4Runner platform.
Old 03-05-23, 10:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Excited to see what they do with LC - maybe my wish for LC Fsport model will finally come true. It needs a blackout package and sportier wheels without chrome.
Old 03-06-23, 10:07 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Default Please, I Don't Want to Keep Repeating Myself

Not many people are talking about this vehicle, so I've done my due diligence to keep people apprised of what's happening with it since 2020-21.

This vehicle is so well regarded internally and highly anticipated by so many people who have been shown the vehicle since February 2021. A Lexus G-Wagen or Defender, is NOT in the vein of a shortened Sequoia. I've said this before, only several posts up from my most recent. How can that be missed?

I really don't like having to repeat what I have said before multiple times (w/enthusiasm in the same thread) at this point, to simply counteract misleading comments, because it just throws things off and makes me type more than I care to. (A lot of people don't like to be corrected, so it's easier to just provide them full info.)

It is very clear that the image I provided is not going to concern start of production dates (aka Job #1 dates). It is strictly sales & marketing related for market launch, which should be somewhat obvious.

This was the same way in February 2020.

So was this in early 2022, but much more elaborate and diversified than the recent one for Lexus and the Toyota chart from 2020.

It's never just production dates left for vague interpretation, as production info isn't relevant to the sales body. SOP or reveal date when a factor, are specifically labeled separately, as seen in that 2022 chart for Toyota.

Numero uno in terms of timetables, is always when sales actually start (to generate revenue), when listed in a chart so simply.

Both Lexus GX and GX Hybrid, as well as Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado Hybrid enter production in October 2023, but I've always said since September 2021 (on page 1), that my knowledge was December 2023 market launch for GX. Nothing has changed since then.
I just don't want people to get misled by any distracting claims I see in this thread, if someone else didn't vet what they're saying/asking and easily confuse the next person reading (like a domino effect).

I just want everyone on the same page and fully informed, otherwise I wouldn't bother uploading this chart image, to help confirm Lexus USA's 2023 calendar year launch timetable. Nor would have I elaborated.

Originally Posted by gor134
Picture blurred, it but it's a staggered launch of LC Inspiration Series and TX PHEV.

On a side note.. wonder how extensive the LC refresh will be.. just an interior touchscreen update or exterior too? Hopefully they don't do a half-assed touchscreen update like the LS, and actually integrate it into the design.
Thanks gor, that's correct. TX 350 and TX 500h will launch in September, while TX 550h+ will be December. 2024 LC will be April launch, followed by Inspiration Series in September.

I had access to a clearer higher res image, but Lexus USA ordered a copyright infringement cease and desist (?) before I could go back for it. My advice is download and save ASAP.

I'm quite shocked about the LC, because I had given up on the LC MMC at this point and was waiting for its replacement. Expected it at first in late 2021 for 2022MY with LC-F.

Then for MY2023 in spring 2022. Toyota definitely had that in the cards, then delayed something...

We are in early March, with no announcement of a vehicle supposedly going on sale in April? How does that even work? Is the idea to debut it later this month and then launch it to market in late April, hence the (APR) bubble LC is listed under?

LC Inspiration Series is nothing special, compared to an actual midlife update for the core model. Don't know why it needs a bubble and separate mention.

I have to imagine that this is the LC MMC which has been in planning since 2018, so hopefully it is significant, but sufficient. No need to change for the sake of change and ruin what works.

Originally Posted by jwong77
What happens to the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado for which the current GX 460 is closely related to?
I have discussed that vehicle a number of times on this site, but will point out again that both vehicles begin production in October and the Toyota version will also be marketed in the USA as the 2024 Land Cruiser. Never sense to me, but that's what is intended.

Originally Posted by geko29
As bad as the Sequoia is, shortening the wheelbase and putting a Lexus badge on it seems like a recipe for disaster. I would hope they'd keep it on the LC Prado/4Runner platform.
I know you're not the one who implied this geko, but I don't know why anyone would suggest it being a shortened Sequoia with TTV6. Whether as a question or simple claim.

I've said much different here many times, so this shouldn't be a question at this point.

Nor does it make sense at all, considering there many fullsize models on the TNGA-F architecture since 2021 and not just one Sequoia. Might as well call it a shortened LX then, which it certainly isn't either.

Don't worry, as that isn't even accurate.
I implore you to just ignore any speculative comments which point in that direction, because I've done my damndest to make it clear how things will be going forward on several BOF redesigns and the specific plans for this vehicle, over the past year and a half.

I just really don't like repeating myself, because I'm already known for typing too much. Especially in the same thread.

Plus TNGA-F is modular, so the whole model name + platform talk is rather outdated. Each vehicle on TNGA-F use their own application. Even though the Land Cruiser 300 was intended as the launch vehicle from the start, it is not the Land Cruiser platform nor Sequoia nor Tundra platform.

The Land Cruiser and LX even have different chassis codes for the first time since 1995 when the latter first began production. They are called J300 and Lexus J310. Before that, J80, J100, and J200 were entirely shared between Land Cruiser & LX. Not anymore. LX is a variation of TNGA-F, not just a Cruiser 300 reskin.
The Tundra and Sequoia are the only ones which break this rule by a closer kinship, even though only headlights and some interior components are only shared above the surface. There are many unique components between the two.

It's not really your comment I'm addressing strongly, but a greater frustration of an established, accurate narrative on an upcoming model being easily derailed (too often) with misinformation and speculative claims in this thread.

I'm tired of it in multiple spaces I comment on this vehicle and others, because I shouldn't even be discussing it for my own reasons.

It is tantamount to giving a lecture and then having contradictions come out of the woodworks, confusing the audience.

​​​​​​The midsize body on frame nameplates will continue to sit below the fullsize models at both brands, but they are not simply cut down versions of larger models, so please ignore anyone stating differently or contradicting the narrative I established.
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Excited to see what they do with LC - maybe my wish for LC Fsport model will finally come true. It needs a blackout package and sportier wheels without chrome.
It honestly just doesn't make sense how close we are to showroom launch (in April) and know nada about it. This is going to be a quick launch in record time I figure or a huge disappointment.

I know that mid-cycle changes can be kept to vest very well, but nothing goes unseen/unheard for this long. LC-F was part of this lineup originally, but got repurposed somehow.

An LC 500 FSP would be nice with the 4.0, but I already resent how some stupid Lexus marketing staff have ruined the nomenclature horribly with 500 being representative of a NA 5.0 V8 with nearly 500 hp, yet also representative of 3.4TT V6 barely cracking 416 hp and 600 representing the same exact engine, with even LESS hp.

500h is a whole nother ballgame (on RX, TX) and so will be 550h with a 2.4L I4T hybrid (GX, PHEV on TX).

MB and BMW might play fast and loose with their nomenclature against naturally aspirated and FI engines, but Lexus marketers have totally lost the plot here.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-07-23 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Annoying typos
Old 03-06-23, 10:24 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jer
If the launch date for the GX is December, is that considered the production date? Will we see an actual prototype a few months prior?
​​​​​​
Start of Production and US launch date are never the same month in this class of imported luxury vehicle.

That has actually never been the case going back the 3 decades since Toyota put the 80-Series into production in January 1990 for North American launch in March 1990, LX 450 in November 1995 for January 1996 launch, LX 470 in January 1998 for March 1998 launch, and September 2002 Job 1 for GX 470 launched November 18, 2002.

Although Lexus revealed the GX 470 in January 2002 at the Detroit NAIAS---many months before the Land Cruiser Prado 120 in October 2002---the GX 460 was unveiled on November 23, 2009, less than a month before market launch in mid-December 2009.

I don't know what means for 2024 GX 550 and GX 550h, as I expect it to be revealed in late May or June 1st at the Plano HQ showcase. If not, Lexus might withhold it like the current model until very last minute in the fall. Toyota definitely has another major announcement for 2024 within 4 weeks.

2024 LC announcement will come first I imagine, followed by TX 350/500h and 2024 RC-F, TX 550h+, and then GX 550 after. Or maybe even RC-F comes last. IDK.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-07-23 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550