Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 06:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Always chiming with all the great knowledge both of you.
​​​​​​
If any of you didn't know who TexasFunRunner is, he's a retired and very gifted engineer with years of experience! He's a stones throw a way from Lexus North America Headquarters

@jer is quite familiar and right in the middle of the Detroit automotive industry, not to mention others like pbm317 and Tango Red.

@gor134 is another will be seeing as well.

​​​​​​Great respect for your contributions here and to anyone else, helping keep us all up to date. Currently leaving Rockwall for DFW after both business and personal visits.

When I first learned about the Land Cruiser future in October 2019 and GX 550 2 years ago, it was hard to believe. It has been a great wait to see it all play out.
It’s been great having you as such a big contributor on this forum. There was endless misinformation and conjecture on the GX 550 and this forum became a better place because you were able to bring real insight every time. Enjoy the warm weather down in Texas.
Old 06-13-23, 07:32 PM
AUav8r
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Always chiming with all the great knowledge both of you.
​​​​​​
If any of you didn't know who TexasFunRunner is, he's a retired and very gifted engineer with years of experience! He's a stones throw a way from Lexus North America Headquarters

@jer is quite familiar and right in the middle of the Detroit automotive industry, not to mention others like pbm317 and Tango Red.

@gor134 is another will be seeing as well.

​​​​​​Great respect for your contributions here and to anyone else, helping keep us all up to date. Currently leaving Rockwall for DFW after both business and personal visits.

When I first learned about the Land Cruiser future in October 2019 and GX 550 2 years ago, it was hard to believe. It has been a great wait to see it all play out.
thanks for all the info along the way! Great appreciate your detailed replies.

I now eagerly await the LC reveal as I think the GX might be a tad out of my price range. I really hope the LC styling is similar enough to the new GX. I don’t think a bland LC300 type styling will do well. Hopefully the mix a bit of retro cues with the modern style. Huge opportunity here.

Otherwise I suppose I wait for the 4Runner. Love all the options Toyota is giving us finally.
Old 06-13-23, 08:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 2023GXLC
Interesting to note 300 uses more aluminum panels

GX only the hood

LC300

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner
The US published GX550 width of 83.22" did not make any sense so after some digging I discovered what I believe is a mistake in the Toyota press releases, in the US press release it states the width is 83.22" and in the World press release it states the width is 1,980mm (which is 77.9"). They are the same vehicle so therefore one spec has to be incorrect.

I made the below drawing to calculate the actual dimensions by backing into the true width by using the published Tread/Track width from the press release plus the 265/70R18 tire width for the Overtrail model. I then estimated the flare extension in order to back into the correct overall width dimension. Since the mirrors sit inboard of the fender flares, they are not part of the equation.

You can see from my drawing below I believe the:
CORRECT width dimension is 77.9" width from the World press release and the,
INCORRECT width dimension is 83.22" width from the US press release.

Fellow engineers and data diggers, please double check my figures and post any other calculations you have.

I think you have a case.

‘but I will say, US press release calls the V6 a 3.4 (which is correct) whereas the World press release refers to it as a 3.5. Good catch on the different aluminum usage
Old 06-14-23, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner
You can see from my drawing below I believe the:
CORRECT width dimension is 77.9" width from the World press release and the,
INCORRECT width dimension is 83.22" width from the US press release.
5" difference in width is a gigantic error... very odd.
Old 06-14-23, 06:46 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
5" difference in width is a gigantic error... very odd.
Yes, exactly, I've sent an inquiry to the Lexus Press Room Media Contact, hopefully they will respond.

Old 06-15-23, 07:58 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

I finally got one user on another forum to help me evaluate the odd photo angles to see what is really going on with the width dimension. It looks like due to either the parallax angle errors in the photos or the possibility Lexus had the mirrors folded in some of the photos created the illusion that the mirrors were riding within the envelope of the outermost part of the body and fenders.

So the more correct way to state the width dimensions:
Overall Width of the widest part of body, not including mirrors - 77.95"
Overall Width, at the outer tip of the mirrors, with the mirrors extended in there normal driving position - 83.22"

After reviewing a bunch of photos and videos I grabbed a screen capture from one video at the moment you can see the tip of the mirrors extending approximately 2 1/2" beyond the fender line.

Last edited by TexasFunRunner; 06-16-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 08:08 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Im sad to see the new GX uses so little high strength steel. Coupled with the weight loss, it may not feel as solid as the current gen. Some people have said the 300 series dont seem as substantial as the previous model after the weight loss.
Old 06-15-23, 09:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Im sad to see the new GX uses so little high strength steel. Coupled with the weight loss, it may not feel as solid as the current gen. Some people have said the 300 series dont seem as substantial as the previous model after the weight loss.
They don’t. 200s weigh 6200lbs, at least LXs.

They took away the AHC protection for one, which literally looked as solid and heavy as 5 feet long jail bars. 300 designed all around fuel economy just like everything else. Not the tanks the 200s were, but still plenty tough I’m sure.
Old 06-15-23, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

like this:
from here:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g4...levels-colors/
Old 06-15-23, 11:27 AM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
You just captured my thoughts on the new GX. I currently have two--a '16 and a '21 and am totally torn. I think they accomplished trying to mimic a Defender, albeit with much higher quality. I would like to DRIVE one before committing. Wife just made my day--supports getting the last of the current breed and waiting until the bugs are worked out of the re-designed GX. Will be a three GX family!
This was my decision as well. I traded in my 2019 and ordered a 2023. After a five month wait I took delivery in January.
Old 06-15-23, 12:15 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

So--am I reading this correctly that unless you go with the Overtrail version the only wheel option is 20 inch?
Old 06-15-23, 12:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nori Green please.
Old 06-15-23, 12:32 PM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Originally Posted by DWF1
So--am I reading this correctly that unless you go with the Overtrail version the only wheel option is 20 inch?
Of course not, you can have 22's,

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/le...ss_Release.pdf
Old 06-15-23, 03:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

No V8 is a dealbreaker for me. Looks like I'll be looking for a pre-loved '20-'23 when i start shopping. I don't get it. The TTV6 isn't a spectacularly fuel efficient engine, especially in something pushing 6,000lbs and full time 4x4. If there were 3 vehicles they should have kept a V8 in, its the LX, GX and LS.
Old 06-15-23, 04:24 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
No V8 is a dealbreaker for me. Looks like I'll be looking for a pre-loved '20-'23 when i start shopping. I don't get it. The TTV6 isn't a spectacularly fuel efficient engine, especially in something pushing 6,000lbs and full time 4x4. If there were 3 vehicles they should have kept a V8 in, its the LX, GX and LS.
Torque is where it shines. Produces 479 lb ft of torque while the V8 previous gen only produced 329. Definitely will feel it offroading and/or towing/hauling.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550