Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23 | 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I certainly don’t need wood trim in a truck like this but if you are going to include it, at this price point and class of manufacturer it should be real wood. I have no problem with the GX being more utilitarian but don’t try and make it something it’s not. As for power tilt steering, make it part of an option group, heck my IS350 was over $50k and had a manual tilt so in a base GX I don’t have an issue with it.
Really?! I've never seen an IS without a power tilt/telescoping wheel...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
even 'real wood' in cars is typically a very very thin veneer glued to some 'fake' backing.
Thats for weight and longevity, but at least its real wood and looks like wood.

with giant leaps in design, materials, and manufacturing, we're rapidly moving to where a) fake will be indistinguishable from real, and b) new never before seen designs, textures, patterns, and materials are possible, c) cars will be customizable to whatever someone wants.
But we're not there yet...I have never seen any imitation wood trim that looks real.
Old 06-18-23 | 07:19 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Let's be honest, fake is fake. Lol

High end cars should have REAL carbon fiber, wood, and leather, and etc.

Make it fake and you just got robbed.

If I know something is fake, ok I bought it knowing that.

Or if I'm in an econo box with would trim and think it's real, that may be on me for being naive with unrealistic expectations. Lol

But a high end car with fake stuff?
Uhh Its not ok. Lol

Just IMO of course!

Old 06-18-23 | 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Let's be honest, fake is fake. Lol

High end cars should have REAL carbon fiber, wood, and leather, and etc.

Make it fake and you just got robbed.

If I know something is fake, ok I bought it knowing that.

Or if I'm in an econo box with would trim and think it's real, that may be on me for being naive with unrealistic expectations. Lol

But a high end car with fake stuff?
Uhh Its not ok. Lol

Just IMO of course!
I have amended my feelings on this because there are people out there who don't want real leather for cruelty to animal reasons, and manufacturers have developed really great synthetic leathers that I have no issue with being available. If they had "grained trim" and real wood trim available for people who wanted to have a more eco friendly vehicle that i would be okay with.

My wife for example doesn't care about the wood, but she would rather have a synthetic leather than real leather, she would pay extra to have that.
Old 06-18-23 | 07:36 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have amended my feelings on this because there are people out there who don't want real leather for cruelty to animal reasons, and manufacturers have developed really great synthetic leathers that I have no issue with being available. If they had "grained trim" and real wood trim available for people who wanted to have a more eco friendly vehicle that i would be okay with.

My wife for example doesn't care about the wood, but she would rather have a synthetic leather than real leather, she would pay extra to have that.
Hi Sw,

I can totally appreciate that and know where you are coming from when it comes to a personal decision on those things.

I was only trying to say deception is wrong if that is the intent to percive high cost if using cheap materials.

Plz let me explain, this is not just in cars.

The Schwinn bicycle was a name brand quality bike back in the day but from what I understand got bought out by another company.

I bought my wife a Schwinn bike thinking it was quality. All the parts looked aluminum aka will not rust in humid in Florida.

After a two years it was rusted junk and I rolled it to the road for the garbage man to take.

All the aluminum was fake using impressivr techniques to brush and spray the metals to make cheap iron look like high quality aluminum.

Thats the kind deceptive fakery I was talking about.

Vegan leather and fake wood I have no problem with if disclosed of course.

Gosh, I dont know. Lol

ps- sorry for off topic, I just realized. I just got to thinking this stuff should maybe be a new thread just on that. Maybe Ill do another thread unless someone else does.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-18-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-18-23 | 07:49 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Sw,
The Schwinn bicycle was a name brand quality bike back in the day but from what I understand got bought out by another company.
In the 70's when we wanted a good quality, light weight 10 speed, the top of the line then, we purchased Raleigh or Peugeot bicycles, they were much better than the cheaper and heavier Schwinn models.
Old 06-18-23 | 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think what you found Margate was you expected a "Schwinn" to be a certain level of quality, and we expect a "Lexus" to have a certain level of quality. "A Lexus" should not have fake wood trim, "A Lexus" should have certain features...what happens when they erode that is people, like me and you, are put off by those omissions.

Now with that said, this GX is an amazing vehicle and as enthusiasts we should be happy we have it. Its just that rapidly "a Lexus" is starting to mean that its a car that looks good on the surface but when you dive deeper is pretty disappointing...this vehicle delivers in product design but I would be very disappointed to get into a $60,000 GX and find it had no power steering wheel, memory seats and fake wood trim. I find it frustrating Lexus can't seem to deliver a product that hits on all cylinders.
Old 06-18-23 | 08:10 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

I think what you found Margate was you expected a "Schwinn" to be a certain level of quality, and we expect a "Lexus" to have a certain level of quality. "A Lexus" should not have fake wood trim, "A Lexus" should have certain features...what happens when they erode that is people, like me and you, are put off by those omissions.

Now with that said, this GX is an amazing vehicle and as enthusiasts we should be happy we have it. Its just that rapidly "a Lexus" is starting to mean that its a car that looks good on the surface but when you dive deeper is pretty disappointing...this vehicle delivers in product design but I would be very disappointed to get into a $60,000 GX and find it had no power steering wheel, memory seats and fake wood trim. I find it frustrating Lexus can't seem to deliver a product that hits on all cylinders.
And this is how shrinkflation manifests itself in the automotive industry, de-content.

Old 06-18-23 | 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, totally
Old 06-18-23 | 09:48 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by Motorola
The Defender's interior certainly doesn't exude luxury but it has more character and color.
I think the color and character are there because of the leather choice. I sat in a black interior and it looks completely different, nothing stands out.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
again, thank tesla. bland and spartan IS the new luxury.

i couldn't care less what's "real" or "fake" just as long as it looks and feels good and is decent quality.

even 'real wood' in cars is typically a very very thin veneer glued to some 'fake' backing.
Yeah but the real leather smell though. BMW's new synthetic leather feels soft and nice. But missing the leather smell isn't a complete new car experience IMO. But you're right, these are all personal choices and at some point, leather may be a thing of the past. Tesla does have reasons for people to buy but they should make their expensive models more luxurious. The interior of the model X is ridiculously cheap for 100k IMO. Even the brake and acceleration pedals. Dang why do they have to have chrome (?) there?

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I remember it wrong. It was X5/X7 not GLE. In latest gen X5/X7, only the wheel moves up. The seat does not move for safety reason. I read again I think MB senses where the seat is to decide if it should be moved. I think this is smart. I remember in my GX it moved back so much that could potentially squeeze someone behind. I think I had to turn it off because it was hitting the rear facing carseat and still moving.
I need to correct myself. My wheel sometimes moves up, other times, moves up and in. I'm not sure what the condition would set one way or the other.
Old 06-18-23 | 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But at least you have the option of a color that pops is the point...
Old 06-18-23 | 10:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

SW, our old IS350 (2011) didn’t have a power wheel but it was an option.
Old 06-18-23 | 11:16 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

With the exception of wood, these features are available. You just have to pay more than a base model. Is a Land Rover Defender available with more options at a cheaper price? We’re you going to buy the base model? I never buy a base, so it doesn’t bother me at all. Some people may want a base GX to actually off-road or mod for cheaper. Yes, the there is Toyota, but they do not have the service of a luxury dealer. Different strokes for different folks. They give you the option. I don’t see a reason to be put off by anything but the interior trim.

Last edited by Sodbuster1; 06-18-23 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-18-23 | 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
With the exception of wood, these features are available. You just have to pay more than a base model. Is a Land Rover Defender available with more options at a cheaper price? We’re you going to buy the base model? I never buy a base, so it doesn’t bother me at all. Some people may want a base GX to actually off-road or mod for cheaper. Yes, the there is Toyota, but they do not have the service of a luxury dealer. Different strokes for different folks. They give you the option. I don’t see a reason to be put off by anything but the interior trim.
I would buy the option with the power tilt wheel, but it still should be standard since this is not an entry level vehicle.
Old 06-18-23 | 01:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Really?! I've never seen an IS without a power tilt/telescoping wheel..[size=33px].
Yes it’s true. In the 3rd gen IS if you got an F-Sport you could not get memory seats or power tilt, it wasn’t even an option. In 2017 I heard they changed that and it was optional but I’m not 100% sure of that. When I bought my 2008 IS250 I bought the luxury package so I could have memory seats and power tilt. [/size]
Old 06-18-23 | 02:12 PM
jer
Instructor

I would buy the option with the power tilt wheel, but it still should be standard since this is not an entry level vehicle.
Our local LR dealer had a Defender I looked at, I believe it was listed in the 70's. Steering wheel was manual, lever underneath to adjust. This was last year's model, but I'm sure on the more loaded models it can be power. I remember as I couldn't get the wheel/seat combo comfortable for me.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550