Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 08:12 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Sorry been very busy today so didn’t get a chance to link the video. Fast forward past the tan off road version and you will see the dark gray GX. Looks good to me and even shows a second row climate control panel. Also shows the nice digital gauge cluster that looks configurable. I didn’t see that this video showed the cargo space with the third row seats up and it doesn’t show all the two tone interior options so I will have to find those videos. I was just cranking through a bunch last night on my tv.

https://youtu.be/gsg6EfyXr3Q
anyone notice the green EV light on the dash at the 4:26 mark? Is this the hybrid, or did they change the eco indicator to EV?
Old 06-22-23, 08:23 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Here is another that shows sone interior colors and space behind the third row.

https://youtu.be/IaBvV1Z3SqY
thanks for the vid. Good to see you can achieve a flat load floor with the GX. Load height has increased, but it slopes down toward the lift gate. The rear cargo with the 3rd row seats look the same as fhe Lx’s capacity (and maybe a bit more?? Hard to confirm with just pictures)

Last edited by vantage78; 06-22-23 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-26-23, 12:15 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage78
anyone notice the green EV light on the dash at the 4:26 mark? Is this the hybrid, or did they change the eco indicator to EV?
Interesting catch! Not sure if this is the hybrid. I checked some of the videos from the reveal event and it does say "ECO" as you indicated and it doesn't show how many miles left as in the video above.

Last edited by CCTX; 06-27-23 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-13-23, 07:32 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXer460
I built this up way too much in my mind and find myself underwhelmed. To be clear - it's a very cool redesign, and I'm a Lexus fan either way, but I'm just now wowed like most of you. I am also probably biased. I have 2022 and when I compare the visuals and engine bang-for-buck - I like mine way more.
It will grow on me, but right now I'm slightly underwhelmed - visually are cool, but reminds me a bit of land rovers-ish. removes the V8 but no marginal improvement on mileage; interior looks less luxurious than the previous models upon first glance; and undoubtedly the new one will likely cost 8%-15% more than the old ones if you use Sequoia increases as a starting point.
Again, I'll come around, but I'm currently definitely NOT regretting waiting for this v. buying my 2022. Let the friendly bashing of my critique begin
Cheers!

Originally Posted by Hrocks
You just captured my thoughts on the new GX. I currently have two--a '16 and a '21 and am totally torn. I think they accomplished trying to mimic a Defender, albeit with much higher quality. I would like to DRIVE one before committing. Wife just made my day--supports getting the last of the current breed and waiting until the bugs are worked out of the re-designed GX. Will be a three GX family!
My '23 Prem+ Sport Design arrived last Friday. Nightfall Mica, with new version of gray Sepia. The exterior color looks like an India ink black/blue, then flips to deep metallic blue in bright sun. Same kind of flip with my '21 Claret Mica. (we now have red, white and blue GX's) I wasn't anticipating an discernable difference in driving experience, but am very surprised at the feel of the '23 vs my '21. I swear my butt o' meter senses some recalibration of the suspension and brake master cylinder. It seems to handle expansion strips and sharper bumps much softer and the brake pedal seems a bit higher and much more sensitive than either my '21 (exact same option packages) or my '16 Prem. (That has aniline leather trim...still has that beautiful leather smell, even after seven years!)

Will ride these out until I can drive a 550. As mentioned by many, will probably have to purchase at least a Luxury or even the Overtrail models to retain some of the "standard" options currently in the P+...such as Mark Levinson, KDSS, headlamp washers, and I know I'm forgetting something else. In any case, I'm looking forward to driving a 550 whenever they become available, and if they're as great as they sound like they may will be, then I'll be trading in one of my 460's.
Old 07-13-23, 10:08 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I built this up way too much in my mind and find myself underwhelmed. To be clear - it's a very cool redesign, and I'm a Lexus fan either way, but I'm just now wowed like most of you. I am also probably biased. I have 2022 and when I compare the visuals and engine bang-for-buck - I like mine way more.
It will grow on me, but right now I'm slightly underwhelmed - visually are cool, but reminds me a bit of land rovers-ish. removes the V8 but no marginal improvement on mileage; interior looks less luxurious than the previous models upon first glance; and undoubtedly the new one will likely cost 8%-15% more than the old ones if you use Sequoia increases as a starting point.
Again, I'll come around, but I'm currently definitely NOT regretting waiting for this v. buying my 2022. Let the friendly bashing of my critique begin
Cheers!
s.
You're not going to find a lot of bashing of something tried and true and very desirable vis a vi current GX satisfaction :-). They sell so many, they're obviously doing something right. This new GX looks like crap inside, definitely agree there. First Lexus I've ever heard of that uses fake wood, ever.. You can't say the current one is lacking luxury, that's for sure. Lots of us here die hard V8 people too, I don't give a **** how much faster the turbo is. Trust me, a lotttttt of us get it. :-).
Old 07-13-23, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This new GX looks like crap inside, definitely agree there.
I'm confused...

GX550 absolutely will be the next car on the list for our garage in several years.

Where do we sign for this new GX?
Where do I sign?????
Ohhhh I absolutely lovvvvve it. We’ll probably buy one in 5-6 years
Man that thing is sick, homerun.....as long as batteries don't come standard and it's ICE only. Please dear god....Pleaaaaaaseeeee.

I already want to buy one.

Old 07-13-23, 03:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm confused...
I really, really don't like that interior at all. And I hadn't honestly looked it up close, because admittedly I love the way it looks outside. However, you spend your time INSIDE the car and that interior is crap and this thing will be at least as expensive as the current one, which is old but very luxurious inside. You pointed out how sparse the new one is inside, lol.

We have decided on LC500 convertible in a few years instead once they come down to about 80 grand. We have enough SUVs in this family, and you can't have too many convertibles IMO.
Old 07-13-23, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Honestly the interior matches the mission of the vehicle IMO, I agree that any wood trim should be real or shouldn't exist, but that wouldn't cause me to do a 180 on the vehicle...especially not a vehicle like this. Its not a "luxurious" vehicle...
Old 07-13-23, 05:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly the interior matches the mission of the vehicle IMO, I agree that any wood trim should be real or shouldn't exist, but that wouldn't cause me to do a 180 on the vehicle...especially not a vehicle like this. Its not a "luxurious" vehicle...
Honestly we want another convertible to keep miles off the Silver Arrow and an LC500 will be worth a fortune one day, not that we'd sell it. I still like the new GX but like I said there are enough SUVs and crossovers in the family.

The LC stunning design will go down in history, plus....it's a Lexus!!! It won't break!!!
Old 07-13-23, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

The LC stunning design will go down in history, plus....it's a Lexus!!! It won't break!!!
that's one thing we agree on.
Old 07-13-23, 06:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's one thing we agree on.
Hah I’ve thought of you. It’ll be a couple years, how we usually do.

However, tell me why you prefer the coupe over the convertible?

I'm just curious. "Why not make it a top down experience" is my reasoning. It looks almost as pretty as your coupe with the top up.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-13-23 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-15-23, 05:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Hah I’ve thought of you. It’ll be a couple years, how we usually do.

However, tell me why you prefer the coupe over the convertible?

I'm just curious. "Why not make it a top down experience" is my reasoning. It looks almost as pretty as your coupe with the top up.
edit: just realized, totally off topic here... sending pm.
Old 07-17-23, 03:22 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh man, I know it's off-topic, but I wanted to say plus-one on getting the LC Convertible if possible. The coupe is lighter and a little sportier for that reason, but the total experience of driving with the top down as the 2UR-GSE rev-match down-shifts is nothing short of perfection.

Back on topic, I don't really think the new GX is going to be that much better to make 2021-2023 owners to jump ship (it some ways, like the LX 600 it may even take a step backwards)... But if it's priced right, I think it, and the Land Cruiser, are going to be overall very good at outdoor adventuring, and bigger hits than the outgoing models thanks to the rugged design and new powerplant.
Old 07-17-23, 03:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Back on topic, I don't really think the new GX is going to be that much better to make 2021-2023 owners to jump ship (it some ways, like the LX 600 it may even take a step backwards)... But if it's priced right, I think it, and the Land Cruiser, are going to be overall very good at outdoor adventuring, and bigger hits than the outgoing models thanks to the rugged design and new powerplant.
I'm expecting it to be several degrees better to drive all around. The current GX, as much as I love it, drives like an SUV from a long-gone era. I'm willing to bet this new GX will exhibit far better body control and handling while still excelling off road.
Old 07-18-23, 09:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Cheers!

My '23 Prem+ Sport Design arrived last Friday. Nightfall Mica, with new version of gray Sepia. The exterior color looks like an India ink black/blue, then flips to deep metallic blue in bright sun. Same kind of flip with my '21 Claret Mica. (we now have red, white and blue GX's) I wasn't anticipating an discernable difference in driving experience, but am very surprised at the feel of the '23 vs my '21. I swear my butt o' meter senses some recalibration of the suspension and brake master cylinder. It seems to handle expansion strips and sharper bumps much softer and the brake pedal seems a bit higher and much more sensitive than either my '21 (exact same option packages) or my '16 Prem. (That has aniline leather trim...still has that beautiful leather smell, even after seven years!)

Will ride these out until I can drive a 550. As mentioned by many, will probably have to purchase at least a Luxury or even the Overtrail models to retain some of the "standard" options currently in the P+...such as Mark Levinson, KDSS, headlamp washers, and I know I'm forgetting something else. In any case, I'm looking forward to driving a 550 whenever they become available, and if they're as great as they sound like they may will be, then I'll be trading in one of my 460's.
Your butt did not deceive you. There were new calibrations to the suspension, brakes, engine and transmission and it is for the better overall. My 2022 drives differently than my 2018.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550