Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 08:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

The outgoing GX may be more luxurious but it was a step down in quality and luxury compared to the first gen. Just because the prior gen had some wood trim doesn’t make it luxurious.

Kind of a bummer if KDSS isn’t standard but maybe that will fix the KDSS lean so many are prone to.
Old 08-20-23, 09:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lexus needs to adopt power running boards, badly.

They were in that F-150 we rented and they're in the Denali. Both way less expensive than an LX600 and probably the same as what these GXs will go for.

It's a very luxurious and nice feature. They need to get with it. Tucked in, the ground clearance increases and Lexus legit builds these things for the jungles....
No they need to step into 2004 and make real air suspension standard so the car just drops 6 inches when you walk up to it. No need for boards at all with that and I've really gotten used to it on the L405 and D5, the D5 if you have active sway raises itself up 4 inches to meet you.

That is why Lexus is behind. They had every chance to introduce what everyone else has had for a decade plus now but still don't, they instead cheapen the interior further.....

Can't blame them for that though, nearly everyone is going cheaper and cheaper inside because most people just flat out don't care.
Old 08-21-23, 01:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That interior is such a letdown...
Old 08-21-23, 06:23 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Lexus needs to adopt power running boards, badly.

They were in that F-150 we rented and they're in the Denali. Both way less expensive than an LX600 and probably the same as what these GXs will go for.

It's a very luxurious and nice feature. They need to get with it. Tucked in, the ground clearance increases and Lexus legit builds these things for the jungles....
It is available on luxury + trim.
The model in these photos is luxury trim.

Old 08-21-23, 07:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Got to checkout the GX in person and its a Great looking truck.
Lexus really hit a homerun with the styling. These trucks will sell incredibly well.
Also like that the rear window opens on the tailgate.
The interior layout is very nice as well with good sized screen and physical controls.

The seats are OK but don’t offer much adjustments.
The material quality is a huge downgrade with very cheap plastic on the dash, doors and glove box. The glove box is literally as light as a paper with no felt material inside. I’m not sure if there is higher trim model that gives full leather option but the plastics themselves for sub-standard for a Lexus.
I felt the same way after seeing it person. I asked for my deposit back at the Lexus dealer. I noted far earlier in this thread that the interior materials looked cheap but when I experienced in person it was even more widespread than I had feared. It's a shame as I really liked the design and was looking forward to purchasing a Lexus.
Old 08-21-23, 07:44 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I felt the same way after seeing it person. I asked for my deposit back at the Lexus dealer. I noted far earlier in this thread that the interior materials looked cheap but when I experienced in person it was even more widespread than I had feared. It's a shame as I really liked the design and was looking forward to purchasing a Lexus.
wow.... I bet they were surprised you asked for the deposit back ?
are you sticking with what you currently have or going another direction ?
Old 08-21-23, 07:48 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow. Any idea how the interior materials compare to that of the new RX?
Old 08-21-23, 07:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jphcbpa
wow.... I bet they were surprised you asked for the deposit back ?
are you sticking with what you currently have or going another direction ?
Ha they definitely were but they didn't care as demand is sky high. I'm just going to stick with what I currently have for now. I will consider rolling the reliability dice with a Land Rover Defender at some point in the future.
Old 08-21-23, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

To be fair, the current GX has pretty poor interior materials too, they just hide them behind more flash
Old 08-21-23, 12:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be fair, the current GX has pretty poor interior materials too, they just hide them behind more flash
Agree but there's still lots of nice leather and wood. No question more luxurious.
Old 08-21-23, 01:17 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 383 Likes on 262 Posts

I love the exterior of this (the grey one posted by RNM from Pebble). I want to have this be a viable option for us as we look to replace our LX, but I'm concerned it's going to be too "trucky" for my wife - not in appearance, but in ride quality and interior fit & finish.

RNM - did you sit inside of it? I'm curious how it feels inside from a space perspective; mainly the width. Is it wider than a current generation 4Runner?
Old 08-21-23, 01:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I love the exterior of this (the grey one posted by RNM from Pebble). I want to have this be a viable option for us as we look to replace our LX, but I'm concerned it's going to be too "trucky" for my wife - not in appearance, but in ride quality and interior fit & finish.

RNM - did you sit inside of it? I'm curious how it feels inside from a space perspective; mainly the width. Is it wider than a current generation 4Runner?
Yes I sat inside, the pics were taken by me.
Not sure about if its wider than 4Runner as I have not sat in one for some time but it has plenty of space upfront. I didn’t sit in the back.
Really the only complaint is the plastic materials but it’s probably inline with the Defender or the more “rugged” theme. It’s definitely not as nice inside compared to X5 or even my X3 which has Leather/Sensatec on dash/doors with real stitching.
Old 08-21-23, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Agree but there's still lots of nice leather and wood. No question more luxurious.
Leather on the seating surfaces, everything else that looks like leather is fake.
Old 08-21-23, 02:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
with respect, it's not intended to replace the lx and obviously they've deliberately gone more 'rugged','trucky','tonka-toy' direction.
Old 08-21-23, 03:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with respect, it's not intended to replace the lx and obviously they've deliberately gone more 'rugged','trucky','tonka-toy' direction.
Why? Isn't that the job of the 4Runner and "land cruiser"

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550