Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23 | 05:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Warning: Scathing GM remarks to follow...
Having been a diehard GM SUV owner for 21 years, (Including: Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Trailblazer, Envoy Denali, Buick Rainier, Saab9X, ) the current full size GM SUV's are shockingly poor in the quality department. For instance, check out the Tahoe/Escalade/Yukon forums as the owners lament spending $70-$100k + only to be stranded with engine valve lifter failures. I just sold my 2010 Tahoe LTZ that my son drove the past 6 years while going to HS and college. Great vehicle. Ever since GM went from the GMT 900 platform to the redesigned GMT K2XX circa 2015, and then the GMT1XX platform for 2019, there have been countless posts regarding transmission, electronic gremlins, low frequency buffeting sounds at highway speeds, etc. etc... And you definitely would NOT want the LX to have a GM V8 with DOD. (BTW, the LX would not be $40k more than a $85K loaded Denali) There are many heartbreaking stories of vacationing families stranded with engine issues, usually revolving around the valve lifters used for DOD (Displacement On Demand). Many have had multiple lifter replacements. A good friend had the issue at 3,000 miles on his 2022 Tahoe Z71 while on a skiing trip. When he called the local dealer and described what happened, the service writer immediately said "you need new valve lifters".

It became crystal clear that I would not be able to replace any of my past favorite quality GM SUV's. Ergo, my transition to the GX 460 cult in 2016. These are clearly the highest quality vehicles made by any manufacturer. I currently own three, a '16, '21 and a '23. I'm hopeful that while I'm not enamored with the interiors of the 550, nor the prospect of potential turbo related concerns, I will definitely consider purchasing one after a test drive, once available.
Thank you for guiding me down an entirely new rabbit hole of Yukon/Tahoe forums...! Not overly comforting to read some of the comments about getting stranded in a truck that's basically brand new - and not always for the same reason. Not sure how I feel about any of what I read.
Old 08-23-23 | 05:16 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Thank you for guiding me down an entirely new rabbit hole of Yukon/Tahoe forums...! Not overly comforting to read some of the comments about getting stranded in a truck that's basically brand new - and not always for the same reason. Not sure how I feel about any of what I read.
It's GM, nothing new there!

The only domestic I like is Chrysler because if you get lucky they are really really good, unlucky and it goes the way of my 2017 truck......had such a bad time it was the last new car I bought/ever intend buy going forward. Made me step back and really consider what I was actually paying for with new and I realized it was not worth it.
Old 08-23-23 | 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of the 4 Chryslers I have owned, 2 have been total disasters 2 have been great. I won't roll the dice again

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-23-23 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-23-23 | 08:11 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Of the 4 Chryslers I have owned, 2 have been total disasters 2 have been great. I won't roll the dice again
We were doing well, historically my immediate family had a bunch since my dad up until recently never kept a car past 36000 miles or 3 years. He had a a maxed out 04 JGC, 04 Pacifica, ML500, S500, 03 1500, 08 JGC, 11 1500, 15 1500 and my mom always had/has a Toyota truck that she keeps forever.

The only one that had an issue for him was the 08 but it was minor and the 03 Ram is actually my truck/first car since it was so freakishly god he decided to just keep driving it as an experiment of sorts. He got bored at 127k and just put it in the garage for 3 years until I started driving. I put 38k on it and then decided to go stupid and build it since it was so reliable I thought it deserved it lol!

The Mercedes were both disasters, both had to be towed out of the garage multiple times and the S broke down twice on him. He was pissed enough I remember it very clearly, they were a his/hers pair arrangement and the first "real" cars he bought since up to that point he would just buy a "sensible" loaded domestic and trade in often. He was really hoping to enjoy the move up to Mercedes but he ended up just raging out so bad he went back to Chrysler for like 15 years lol!

Now that he knows I can work on whatever he wants he has been buying depreciated flagships of many types and torturing me for fun. I don't charge him labor but if I did he would be at about $57k now.....
Old 08-23-23 | 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bear in mind none of those Chryslers I had we owned past 45,000 miles lol, the 17 Pacifica was traded with 25k on it and had spent almost 30 days off the road in 2.5 years. My 20 Pacifica was towed out of the garage and I still consider it a win.

Chrysler makes a really compelling product, its a lot of vehicle for the money and Jeeps especially have a great style and feel...but I've had my Chrysler experience lol
Old 08-23-23 | 09:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Bear in mind none of those Chryslers I had we owned past 45,000 miles lol, the 17 Pacifica was traded with 25k on it and had spent almost 30 days off the road in 2.5 years. My 20 Pacifica was towed out of the garage and I still consider it a win.

Chrysler makes a really compelling product, its a lot of vehicle for the money and Jeeps especially have a great style and feel...but I've had my Chrysler experience lol
I feel ya, my 2017 was such a fail it drove me crazy. In 31576 miles I had.....both exhaust manifolds cracked, lifter died causing a tick, rear main blew, front left axle sea leaked, both front shocked blew, rear axle cover leaked, I had two trim sections rattle, one window motor fail, and the final nail in the coffin was my rear bumper rusted. With a ceramic coat and being garage kept....

The thing that really drove me nuts/had me abandon new cars was that at that time I was skilled enough to fix all of the above easily and faster than the dealer. I also would have done it better and not half assed the manifolds/lifter, the lifter issue was right around the same time as the bumper and really got me thinking why I just didn't do it myself and throw a Texas speed cam inside.

From that point on I realized the warranty was just a hinderance for me, I then went to try out Lexus and well you know where it went from there
Old 08-23-23 | 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Big Chrysler issue is paint bubbling on aluminum panels. Happened to my 11 Grand Cherokee and my 17 and 20 Pacificas.
Old 08-23-23 | 09:30 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Big Chrysler issue is paint bubbling on aluminum panels. Happened to my 11 Grand Cherokee and my 17 and 20 Pacificas.
I dodged that issue somehow, I was so paranoid about the hood doing that I never even considered the bumper lol!

My mom is the one who noticed it at the underside edge, as soon as I went outside and saw it I drove it to the dealer and sold it. I'm VERY happy that the cars I have now do not have rust issues whatsoever and two of them literally can't rust.
Old 08-23-23 | 09:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I find it so wild that Ford and Chrysler had such bad paint issues on aluminum panels. But then again so many different manufacturers seem to randomly fail with paint - I remember Lexus taking care of many owners of white GX's a long time ago.
Old 08-23-23 | 10:18 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Anyone have any intel on when the GX is supposed to start hitting showroom floors? I'd like to see it in person. Watched more vids, looked at the comparison sheet for the various trims and I'm definitely interested. Was thinking I might swing by my local dealer to ask some questions soon, but would love to know when I'll have a chance to see one in person. My wife has hit the point where she wants to ditch the LX, so I'm upping my intensity in the search.
Old 08-23-23 | 01:34 PM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Anyone have any intel on when the GX is supposed to start hitting showroom floors? I'd like to see it in person. Watched more vids, looked at the comparison sheet for the various trims and I'm definitely interested. Was thinking I might swing by my local dealer to ask some questions soon, but would love to know when I'll have a chance to see one in person. My wife has hit the point where she wants to ditch the LX, so I'm upping my intensity in the search.
Jan to March 2024 it seems

I would think some will show up at various dealerships in the near future "on tour" and at car shows. There was one in Dallas, TX. this past week.
Old 08-23-23 | 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I find it so wild that Ford and Chrysler had such bad paint issues on aluminum panels. But then again so many different manufacturers seem to randomly fail with paint - I remember Lexus taking care of many owners of white GX's a long time ago.
And that they have known about them so long and done nothing to fix the issue!
Old 08-23-23 | 02:55 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJT123
It has 20,000 miles on it and appears to be solid, never brought to the dealer for warranty stuff before.

If it’s junk in the long term I will report it on here, but I really don’t think that’s the case. I hear you on what you’re saying but those are several stories out of a million of these out on the roads. The last 2003 Yukon drove for 20 years without a single service other than delayed oil changes and never had a major problem ever other than an a/c issue once early in its life. Was still running fine when we donated it.

Also, not same year and gen but FWIW this is impressive:

Reminds me of Lexus reliability with all the green.

As previously mentioned, I too had a great and long experience with my 2010 Tahoe. I have a neighbor (who could afford any vehicle) who still drives his 2013 Tahoe with just under 200k and has been torn on what to buy whenever he decides to retire the truck. IMO, that was the last and best year of the GMT900. GM has a knack for "getting right" the later model years before a redesign. (The full size SUV's in I believe both '18 and '19 were finally good years). Another late bloomer that comes immediately to mind, was the Fiero. They were pretty crappy and had many, many fires in both the 4 and 6 cyl models. They finally got it right in their last MY of 1988. If you search the Tahoe/Yukon forum for valve lifters and another related to multiple electrical gremlins (I think one was related to the DIC" going blank) you will find many, many accounts of sad stories, buybacks, repeated lifter failures, etc. No thanks, that's why I have three GX's.
Old 08-23-23 | 03:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hrocks
As previously mentioned, I too had a great and long experience with my 2010 Tahoe. I have a neighbor (who could afford any vehicle) who still drives his 2013 Tahoe with just under 200k and has been torn on what to buy whenever he decides to retire the truck. IMO, that was the last and best year of the GMT900. GM has a knack for "getting right" the later model years before a redesign. (The full size SUV's in I believe both '18 and '19 were finally good years). Another late bloomer that comes immediately to mind, was the Fiero. They were pretty crappy and had many, many fires in both the 4 and 6 cyl models. They finally got it right in their last MY of 1988. If you search the Tahoe/Yukon forum for valve lifters and another related to multiple electrical gremlins (I think one was related to the DIC" going blank) you will find many, many accounts of sad stories, buybacks, repeated lifter failures, etc. No thanks, that's why I have three GX's.
Yes we own LX, there's a reason for it. Many reasons lol.

If this Denali is unreliable or junk I will report it, but I reallllly don't think that's going to be the case.
Old 08-24-23 | 08:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

We are headed to local Lexus dealer this Saturday to learn more about the new GX (mainly clarifying things on the different trims). Will see what they know and report back with details on trims and anticipated delivery.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550