Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
All four vehicles are coming to market according to one insider (in Tacoma, LC180, GX, 4Runner)
what's an LC180 (Prado?) and coming to market in the u.s.??

I'm watching with popcorn to see how this all works, because now that you don't have Land Cruiser 300 and LX 310-Series fighting each other for sales, now you'll have 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and GX instead!
so you're saying toyota will be selling a land cruiser again? but not the LX-sized cruise, the GX-sized one?

i try to follow...
Old 03-18-23, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I have heard that from other sources also, that the LC is coming back
Old 03-18-23, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
4Runner will go more down market. So the Land Cruiser Prado fits in to the 4R Limited space..then the GX is the Lexus version.
Old 03-18-23, 09:31 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I just want everyone to be on the same page and keep up enthusiasm. The opposite of that is pessimism, which often you see with the future of Toyota and Lexus 4x4s.
Well, what do you want from me/us? To fake liking a product? Toyota canceled their V8s for fuel economy. LX lost a lot of stuff, including the V8 which believe it or not Land Cruiser and LX drivers quite liked....we can afford the gas bill. LX lost the tailgate which I use all the time. AHC protection which I also utilize.

I don't like where automobiles in general are going, I have a right (and many reasons I'm happy to lay out) to feel that way.

I didn't mean to speak for you but I still think the 2024 GX550 will be the same formula. If I'm wrong when it comes out you can call me out all you want.
Old 03-18-23, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Well, what do you want from me/us? To fake liking a product? Toyota canceled their V8s for fuel economy. LX lost a lot of stuff, including the V8 which believe it or not Land Cruiser and LX drivers quite liked....we can afford the gas bill. LX lost the tailgate which I use all the time. AHC protection which I also utilize.

I don't like where automobiles in general are going, I have a right (and many reasons I'm happy to lay out) to feel that way.

I didn't mean to speak for you but I still think the 2024 GX550 will be the same formula. If I'm wrong when it comes out you can call me out all you want.
I 100% agree with you @AJT123
Old 03-18-23, 11:07 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Apparently even before touching down in Australia this morning, I received even more new information directly from Toyota. I unfortunately cannot post that publicly.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what's an LC180 (Prado?) and coming to market in the u.s.??

so you're saying toyota will be selling a land cruiser again? but not the LX-sized cruise, the GX-sized one?

i try to follow...
Have I said this on the forum already? Maybe I haven't. Guess I didn't think it mattered really in Car Chat. I have very new information on that today, as Toyota still has very special plans for it, but color me frustrated with a much longer wait.

I first learned in mid 2019 about the USA Land Cruiser being discontinued in 2021, but I knew it would return in 2023 thanks to MPLexus keying me in, back in October 2019, and me later confirming that from a second source in January 2020.

I then had a news report on Toyota launches ghostwritten in February 2020 by dictation, where although I got taken out of context on other models, Motor1 didn't fudge up the Land Cruiser portion at least.

As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point.
Like many other incognito reports of mine, it caught fire. (I often provide information to media as an unnamed source)

I then didn't have specifics on TX and GX in 2019, but I have said a new 2024 Land Cruiser would be coming for a long time. ​​​Maybe not on here, being I was too focused on things Bronco likely and then GX instead, to ever mention it.​​​​​
This is not a 300-Series, absolutely isn't and I've known that since 2019. I really don't want to talk about that vehicle publicly unfortunately anymore. Not unless I get permission to do so, from some people I can't name.

​​​​​Oh, it's coming back and I just got contacted personally by corporate Toyota, via "who won't be named" several hours ago, on this very subject.

Toyota is not immune to falling behind schedule with launches unfortunately, is all I can say and they have very big plans indeed across the board.

I'm not sure if I need to keep silent on this subject, since my posts can be seen easily and why bite the hand that feeds you secret info? Just PMs I'll be doing going forward.

???? That wasn't even directed at you. I'm referring to bad speculation and false rumors causing pessimism, not so much the product itself in front of your eyes and opinion over accurate information.

I don't want false rumors taking center stage and causing heartache. Being upset about no V8 is valid and I didn't disagree with that.

I am not a cheerleader, as those are not the shoes I wear.

Being upset about the styling becoming more boxy and rugged looking, with more tech? Well, it's already happened and soon enough, also revealed for you to see.

​​​​​
I know a lot about why the LX is the way it turned out and what's coming to rectify that. The issue I have is, too much new information coming at me at once and a lot of "questions" that need answering, which is invasive to "Toyota" being so "generous" to me at all.

It's unfortunate how much the context of whatever I'm saying always gets misunderstood though. My unfortunate typos and long text don't help, but really?

I just don't want baseless speculation or misunderstood context frustrating anyone. If something that is actually happening is annoying and frustrating to you, fair enough.
​​​​​​
Basing your annoyance and frustration on false information? Very different issue.
​​​​​​

I don't want your takeaway to be that you're going to be paying $150k for a GX, like a G550. Price is definitely going up, since the cousin will be priced $55kish and GX will be $10-15k more.

The GX 470 was cutting edge in 2002-04 for a BOF vehicle, while the 460 hasn't been for many years. The new 550 is cutting edge, but unfortunately Toyota didn't develop a Dynamic Force V8 in the end.

It's not going to be as vanilla anymore and yes, many have to accept that. Lexus needed to reach new demographics and used the GX to address the overlanding crowd. They didn't create another model to fill that niche.
​​​​​​They are bridging the gap between the second/thirdhand and aftermarket.

I'm just telling you not to expect another V8, in the same body shape and same price. That's not the vehicle at all. It's not $100k, but don't be shocked to see one at $89k.

​​​Some of the corporate stuff I have seen and heard is just wild, since I last logged in.

Unfortunately, I need to learn more per back and forth discussion. Honestly shouldn't be saying anything right now, because I would hope I am not scaring away new information from corporate contacts cutting me off and that this thread isn't under watch by them or any specific individuals trusting me.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-18-23 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 05:53 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Please tell corporate to bring back V8s. My guy at Lexus says people are coming in even more than usual for the GX bc it's the last BOF V8. Any 200LX they get is gone immediately. 300 was designed around fuel economy and isn't as good IMO.

I'm not saying you said this but many people underestimate how many people actually do care about stuff with cars, even if they're not a "car person".
Old 03-19-23, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

People's buying behavior just tells us otherwise. Why would 85% of Mercedes GLE models be the 4 cyl if people were willing to pay more for the V6? Why would such an extremely small % of them be V8s?
Old 03-19-23, 07:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

People's buying behavior just tells us otherwise. Why would 85% of Mercedes GLE models be the 4 cyl if people were willing to pay more for the V6? Why would such an extremely small % of them be V8s?
GLE is a completely different segment of buyer. And you can still get a V8. GX has always been a unique vehicle in the Lexus line.
Old 03-19-23, 07:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Why do I see a ridiculous amount more of V8 GXs that get bad gas mileage than GLEs? It doesn’t all boil down to the engine for everyone else of course, but the take and satisfaction rate of the GX are very high. The V8 in the GX is plenty satisfying, it was quicker than I thought it would be actually. If gas mileage were that big of a deal, they wouldn’t sell like hotcakes. No BOFs would. BOFs still get terrible gas mileage as a whole. That new I-6 going into the Grand Wagoneer I think is rated 1MPG higher? Thanks I’ll keep the Hemi.

Shoving 510 horsepower into 3.0 liters in a Chrysler product? What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by AJT123; 03-19-23 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 08:42 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't like V8's just for the sake of being V8's. If the V6 has great HP/Torque and sounds reasonably good it's not going to stop us from buying one. Would I rather it was a big NA V8, sure.
Old 03-19-23, 09:01 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

double post
Old 03-19-23, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Why do I see a ridiculous amount more of V8 GXs that get bad gas mileage than GLEs? It doesn’t all boil down to the engine for everyone else of course, but the take and satisfaction rate of the GX are very high. The V8 in the GX is plenty satisfying, it was quicker than I thought it would be actually. If gas mileage were that big of a deal, they wouldn’t sell like hotcakes. No BOFs would. BOFs still get terrible gas mileage as a whole. That new I-6 going into the Grand Wagoneer I think is rated 1MPG higher? Thanks I’ll keep the Hemi.

Shoving 510 horsepower into 3.0 liters in a Chrysler product? What could possibly go wrong?
No doubt there's pockets where the GX sells equal to or better than the GLE. Total US 2022 sales were GX 29,945 -7.9% and GLE 63,050 -3.1%. Both sell very well for their brands.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-19-23 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 09:41 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

Please tell corporate to bring back V8s. My guy at Lexus says people are coming in even more than usual for the GX bc it's the last BOF V8. Any 200LX they get is gone immediately. 300 was designed around fuel economy and isn't as good IMO.

I'm not saying you said this but many people underestimate how many people actually do care about stuff with cars, even if they're not a "car person".
I don't think it was designed just around fuel economy. The actual economy of the twin turbo V6 engine isn't all that different from the V8 it replaced. What is different is that the twin turbo engine delivers more power and more torque, plus the torque is much more accessible and available from much lower RPM. You're not seeing maximum torque in the V8 until reasonably high into the rev range, The Lexus V8 was a great engine, no doubt, but it's a relic of another time. The turbo V6 is a better real world engine. A twin turbo V8 would be better still, but until we see one of those the TTV6 is a better engine IMO. It's not just about fuel economy. These vehicles perform better with more power and with more low down torque. That's what the new engine delivers.
Old 03-19-23, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The V6 in the LX is NOT a proper replacement for a V8. It is a downgrade in every way.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550