Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Lexus GX 550

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-23, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
GLE is a completely different segment of buyer. And you can still get a V8. GX has always been a unique vehicle in the Lexus line.
But nobody gets the V8 in the GLE, thats the point...its nice that its available but if MB dropped it you couldn't blame them.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Why do I see a ridiculous amount more of V8 GXs that get bad gas mileage than GLEs? It doesn’t all boil down to the engine for everyone else of course, but the take and satisfaction rate of the GX are very high. The V8 in the GX is plenty satisfying, it was quicker than I thought it would be actually. If gas mileage were that big of a deal, they wouldn’t sell like hotcakes. No BOFs would. BOFs still get terrible gas mileage as a whole. That new I-6 going into the Grand Wagoneer I think is rated 1MPG higher? Thanks I’ll keep the Hemi.

Shoving 510 horsepower into 3.0 liters in a Chrysler product? What could possibly go wrong?
Its because of where you live, or your own perception of what you see. The fact is they sell 3 times as many GLEs as GX's, and the vast vast majority of those are the 4 cyl 350. Most buyers just don't really care and want the best fuel economy they can get. There are lots of Expeditions and Navigators around, and they aren't available in a V8.

You also have to realize that its a global market, many places tax vehicles by displacement and thats why you see smaller and smaller engines too.

This is not a mistake on the part of carmakers, as much as you may want it to be.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-19-23 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 03:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But nobody gets the V8 in the GLE, thats the point...its nice that its available but if MB dropped it you couldn't blame them.

Its because of where you live, or your own perception of what you see. The fact is they sell 3 times as many GLEs as GX's, and the vast vast majority of those are the 4 cyl 350. Most buyers just don't really care and want the best fuel economy they can get. There are lots of Expeditions and Navigators around, and they aren't available in a V8.

You also have to realize that its a global market, many places tax vehicles by displacement and thats why you see smaller and smaller engines too.

This is not a mistake on the part of carmakers, as much as you may want it to be.
FWIW. This was the first Mercedes I noticed today.

That driver sprung for the NA 5.5. I see many more 550s in that gen and the one after. Amazing that was offered as just an option in an E-Class.

It’s more people than people think, that care about engines and spending more for better, you did yourself lol. That’s all I’m saying. More people are pissed about the new Accord stuck as a gutless hybrid than Honda thinks.

I spent $5,000 for 50 more horsepower when I ordered the boat. Money welllllllll spent. I’ve ridden in the standard and even it’s a rocket. The 50 more hp give mine crazy low end and midrange.

Last edited by AJT123; 03-19-23 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 04:02 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see more GLE580s than GLE53s. Also the reason why many people don't have them is.. they were literally unavailable for a full year due to certification or supply issues for Merc V8s on top of there being chip-shortage affected low production before they stopped V8s for MY22 (is back for MY23).

And to note: even if a V8 model doesn't sell well, Mercedes can charge over 25k on top of a GLE350. Less models sold, but higher margins with the ones that sell. Let alone, people who are opting for the V8 are more likely to be kitting the car with expensive upgrades as well.

Last edited by gor134; 03-19-23 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW. This was the first Mercedes I noticed today.

That driver sprung for the NA 5.5. I see many more 550s in that gen and the one after. Amazing that was offered as just an option in an E-Class.

It’s more people than people think, that care about engines and spending more for better, you did yourself lol. That’s all I’m saying. More people are pissed about the new Accord stuck as a gutless hybrid than Honda thinks.

I spent $5,000 for 50 more horsepower when I ordered the boat. Money welllllllll spent. I’ve ridden in the standard and even it’s a rocket. The 50 more hp give mine crazy low end and midrange.
Yeah, that car is 15+ years old. Look at the NEW E Classes you see on the road. I paid for the upgraded engine, but I am an enthusiast. With the W223 most of the ones you see are 500s. I would never buy a GLE350, but almost everyone who buys a GLE does. MB knows exactly what the take rate is, they build what people will buy.

Honestly, if I get another S Class I seriously may get the S500...simply because of cost and availability

The new Accord will sell every bit as well as the old one did. 0-60 in 6 seconds is not gutless...

Originally Posted by gor134
I see more GLE580s than GLE53s. Also the reason why many people don't have them is.. they were literally unavailable for a full year due to certification or supply issues for Merc V8s on top of there being chip-shortage affected low production before they stopped V8s for MY22 (is back for MY23).

And to note: even if a V8 model doesn't sell well, Mercedes can charge over 25k on top of a GLE350. Less models sold, but higher margins with the ones that sell. Let alone, people who are opting for the V8 are more likely to be kitting the car with expensive upgrades as well.
Talk to an MB GM about how much demand there is for GLE and GLS580s, its really small. Why do you think MB chose to pause V8 production in those vehicles but not the S Class? Because there is little demand vs the S Class.

Its great MB offers the V8, but even I don't think I would spec one in a GLE or GLS, and very few people do. If MB decided tomorrow to cancel the V8 in the GLE, you could hardly blame them.
Old 03-19-23, 04:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Why do I see a ridiculous amount more of V8 GXs that get bad gas mileage than GLEs?
because you notice the gx's

the gx is a lot slower than even the 4cyl gle, gets 30% worse fuel economy, still has only a 6 speed auto, doesn't have standard adaptive dampers, has way less 2nd row leg room, ok for kiddie seats though.

but obviously it has a stellar reputation for reliability, and it's pretty smooth.

having said all that, if i wanted a car for 10 years, i'd get the gx, if i want one for 3 or 4, i'd get the gle.
Old 03-19-23, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I had to choose between an GLE350 and a GX....as much as it pains me to say it I too would take the GLE350. Just a much better vehicle for everyday use, more space, easier to drive, safer, better technology, more comfortable, much better on fuel. GLE450 is no contest vs a GX.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-19-23 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 06:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gor134

I see more X7 V8s…..the 50i.

Old 03-19-23, 06:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that car is 15+ years old. Look at the NEW E Classes you see on the road. I paid for the upgraded engine, but I am an enthusiast. With the W223 most of the ones you see are 500s. I would never buy a GLE350, but almost everyone who buys a GLE does. MB knows exactly what the take rate is, they build what people will buy.

Honestly, if I get another S Class I seriously may get the S500...simply because of cost and availability

The new Accord will sell every bit as well as the old one did. 0-60 in 6 seconds is not gutless.

Its great MB offers the V8, but even I don't think I would spec one in a GLE or GLS, and very few people do. If MB decided tomorrow to cancel the V8 in the GLE, you could hardly blame them.
Do you think people like that E-Class 550 driver I posted a picture of just stop caring? People like me? People like you? Carmakers are forcing us into these things by limiting the good engines. They can’t force us to stop being enthusiasts but it’s kind of hard to be one anymore.

You mention the new E-Class? What about it? I’d rather have that old NA 5.5 monster in that old one than any other downsized turbo MB V8 after it or the six cylinder with the electric assist junk in the top E-Class. So I see why the guy still has the E550 there.

And yes, 204hp is gutless. The Accord’s new powertrain isn’t being that well received in test drives. Lurching, etc.

Last edited by AJT123; 03-19-23 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I see more X7 V8s…..the 50i.
I hardly ever see a 50i, and its hard to find a 50i on a lot here. According to BMW, the take rate for the 40i is 74%, only 12% are V8s. They sell about 30,000 X7s a year, so only 3,600 of them were V8s.

Another case of your "but I see more of them" argument not jibing with the actual numbers.

Do you think people like that E-Class 550 driver I posted a picture of just stop caring? People like me? People like you? Carmakers are forcing us into these things by limiting the good engines.

You mention the new E-Class? What about it? I’d rather have that old NA 5.5 monster in that than any other downsized turbo MB V8 after it or the six cylinder with the electric assist junk. So I see why the guy still has the E550 there.
You miss the point. Car manufacturers care what people buy new today. Someone who drives a 15+ year old E550 is not a consumer for a new E Class, typically. Its not about what you and I want, its about what sells to the majority of consumers new...because carmakers are in the business of selling new cars.

I like V8s too, but even for me personally...if I got an X7 or X5 or GLS or GLE, I really don't think I would get the V8...for one the V8 requires the M Sport package in the X7 and X5 which I don't like, it also costs $20,000 in the GLS or X7...not worth $20,000 to me. Range Rover, I honestly think I would get the 6, almost all the reviews I have read say they prefer the 6.

And yes, 204hp is gutless. The Accord’s new powertrain isn’t being that well received in test drives. Lurching, etc.
Does 0-60 a full second faster than your LX. Just sayin. Its more than fast enough for an Accord buyer.

I don't know why this triggers you so...you don't buy new cars anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-19-23 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 06:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Do you think people like that E-Class 550 driver I posted a picture of just stop caring? People like me? People like you?
depends how rigid their viewpoint is. i remember getting my 2000 GS400 with glorious lexus v8. wasn't sure i'd ever want a vehicle without a v8 again.

after that i got an explorer with a v8 (4.6L i think). not as smooth as the lexus v8 but not bad.

but after that i got a jeep grand cherokee, and didn't want the hemi because the fuel economy is hilariously bad and i found the pentastar v6 to be more than adequate.

Carmakers are forcing us into these things by limiting the good engines.
it's a combination of complying with regulations, and innovation in smaller engines that are now frankly remarkable.

They can’t force us to stop being enthusiasts but it’s kind of hard to be one anymore.
you don't have to be rigidly tied to v8's to be considered an enthusiast.

but just for you, i now have a lexus v8 again. it's fun, but the response is really quite non-linear. off the line it doesn't respond very strongly until over 2k rpm. after that it spools very quickly and is a load of fun.

my 'non-enthusiast' 2.5T in my hyundai suv is surprisingly responsive right from the get go (in sport mode).

both are completely smooth and quiet when cruising. the LC exhaust, transmission and v8 though are obviously tuned to sound awesome under load.

i can be an enthusiast about both.
Old 03-19-23, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That’s the other part of it, we are getting incredible performance now out of 6s and 4s. Driving the 450 Mercedes vehicles we have talked about, they feel awesome. Their 2.0T feels great in the C and GLC too.

And that throttle response bit is talking about, that’s turbocharging at work. I would not want to go back to a NA V8.

In any event for Lexus, Toyota should have been developing a TTV8 long ago. At this point it makes no sense for them to start developing one…

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-19-23 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 08:29 PM
2chains
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to all these reveals! Am eager to see the next gen 4runner although if the roll down rear window goes it might be off my list. White knuckle wait for Land Cruiser and GX unveiling...Toyota take my money!
Old 03-19-23, 08:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I hardly ever see a 50i, and its hard to find a 50i on a lot here. According to BMW, the take rate for the 40i is 74%, only 12% are V8s. They sell about 30,000 X7s a year, so only 3,600 of them were V8s.

Another case of your "but I see more of them" argument not jibing with the actual numbers.
Another case of your "well I SW don't see what you see so you're wrong." I'm not hallucinating it. Lots of V8s. Stop trying to tell people what they see and don't. I've said for years it's a very heavy V8-truck/SUV area.

You miss the point. Car manufacturers care what people buy new today. Someone who drives a 15+ year old E550 is not a consumer for a new E Class, typically. Its not about what you and I want, its about what sells to the majority of consumers new...because carmakers are in the business of selling new cars.

I like V8s too, but even for me personally...if I got an X7 or X5 or GLS or GLE, I really don't think I would get the V8...for one the V8 requires the M Sport package in the X7 and X5 which I don't like, it also costs $20,000 in the GLS or X7...not worth $20,000 to me. Range Rover, I honestly think I would get the 6, almost all the reviews I have read say they prefer the 6.
No, you're missing the point. You're pointing out yourself how hard it is to get a V8 engine. It used to just be checking a box or asking the Lexus guy "Where the V8 GS?" So many cars had V8 options but they're gone and it's not because people don't like them, it's because the government has forced it. GXs get about 14MPG yet they sell 30k a year, people don't care about gas mileage as much as you think. Also, just because these V8s are gone and replaced by downsized 6s in the big BOFs doesn't mean they're not still insanely thirsty. Load the Grand Wagoneer with the new 6 up for truck duty instead of EPA tests (i.e. work them, load them up, etc.) and I doubt there e would even be much difference between this new I-6 and the outgoing monster 6.4 Hemi. Kinda like how that Chevy V8 Silverado got 2MPG more on the interstate than the boosted 4? Why? Because the smaller engine is ALWAYS in the boost.

Does 0-60 a full second faster than your LX. Just sayin. Its more than fast enough for an Accord buyer.
Not to get out the measuring tape but I will take on a new Accord hybrid at any speed, even from a roll at over 100MPH in my LX. I sure haven't seen a new Accord hybrid that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.... that was the 2.0t they just got rid of that you're talking about. Read some reviews, people aren't thrilled with this.

I don't know why this triggers you so...you don't buy new cars anyways.
It doesn't trigger me, I just don't like it.
Old 03-19-23, 08:41 PM
Coltopdog
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am holding my breath that Toyota will come out of the redesign cycle with at least one of the off-road, mid-size utilities with good towing ability.

There is no reason to think the new Prado or GX won’t have towing ability at of least 6500lbs (7-7.5k much better) if they are benchmarking and plan to compete with the Defender (8200lbs)- but it makes me nervous.

Ford had a chance to be an all-arounder with the new Bronco, but crapped the bed and wont bring the Everest to the US….so here’s hoping Toyota continues to bring mid-size SUVs to market with off road chops with some towing ability. American auto makers infuriatingly continue to ignore that segment and want you to buy a Land Yacht SUV (or truck).
Old 03-19-23, 09:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Another case of your "well I SW don't see what you see so you're wrong." I'm not hallucinating it. Lots of V8s. Stop trying to tell people what they see and don't. I've said for years it's a very heavy V8-truck/SUV
Excuse me for being right. Go find numbers that refute the numbers I have posted. You can post all the “what I see” you want, the numbers are the numbers. The vast majority of buyers do not select the V8 in these vehicles. Fact. Every X7 buyer can select the V8, yet only 12% do. Why? Because they don’t want them for the money they cost.

Are we supposed to ignore the actual sales figures because you “see” more GXs than GLEs? Or more 50i than 40i X7s? Please. The sales figures and take rates are reality.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-19-23 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus GX 550