Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 07:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm not sure I like the body colored trim, but it may grow on me.
This is funny. It used to be that black trim was on lower end models, and higher end versions had body color. My mom's 1986 Camry DX had black bumpers, and you had to move up to the LE to get body-color. The same was true when I got a 2004 Honda Pilot - LX versions had black trim and steel wheels. Then Volvo started with the XC's, and the black cladding was placed on more expensive versions of cars -- the "XC" Volvo wagons; Audi All Roads. And people complained. And now it's so commonplace, as car makers move back to body color trim, some people again don't like it. Oh well.
Old 09-15-21, 08:53 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I see nothing impressive about this. I think it will still sell in tiny numbers.
Tiny numbers, meaning half of all Mazda sales? Being only available in AWD will help bridge that gap, if that's what they're going for.
Old 09-15-21, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is funny. It used to be that black trim was on lower end models, and higher end versions had body color. My mom's 1986 Camry DX had black bumpers, and you had to move up to the LE to get body-color. The same was true when I got a 2004 Honda Pilot - LX versions had black trim and steel wheels. Then Volvo started with the XC's, and the black cladding was placed on more expensive versions of cars -- the "XC" Volvo wagons; Audi All Roads. And people complained. And now it's so commonplace, as car makers move back to body color trim, some people again don't like it. Oh well.
The whole concept of black or dark-gray lower-body cladding on crossovers and SUVs was done for a reason. It was not done just as a styling-quirk....or for cost-cutting. These vehicles are often driven on winter roads, and the vinyl cladding prevents the lower-body paint-damage from salt, moisture, gravel, stones, and corrosive substances and liquids on the road that get kicked up by tires.

I personally wish that Highway departments (and public demand) weren't so obsessed with dumping tons and tons that crap on the roads at the moment the first snowflake falls, and that the roads simply didn't have so much harmful junk on them to start with, but, like it or not, that's the system we have in most areas, and we have to live with it if we drive on winter roads.
Old 09-15-21, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
AWD is now standard with Mi-Drive (drive mode/terrain selector). Exterior changes include a new grille and grille surround, new headlights and taillights, slightly altered front and rear bumper, body-coloured trim (probably only on the Signature and GT trims), and new 19" wheel design. There is also a trim level that offers a gloss-black grille/grille surround, gloss-black trim, and black leather interior with red stitching.

Price will likely increase with making AWD standard, but I'm glad that they're doing the body-coloured/gloss black plastic trim now. The exhaust tips are also a nice touch.

Source: https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/20...R9Kh7wTP43fNmk

Pictures from the article:

very interesting Mazda went standard awd.
Old 09-15-21, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't only because it's part of Mazda's push to move the brand more upscale. Smart move imo
Old 09-15-21, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As far as I know, the Miata remains RWD, and the 3 and 6 remain FWD.
Old 09-15-21, 11:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as I know, the Miata remains RWD, and the 3 and 6 remain FWD.
Standard AWD applies to their CX models
Old 09-15-21, 01:41 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I find it interesting as well, especially since the RDX started as AWD only in 2007 and then introduced FWD in 2010. I wonder if it's also a way to streamline costs by only having one drivetrain to maintain going forward.
Old 09-15-21, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I see nothing impressive about this. I think it will still sell in tiny numbers.
This is just a minor refresh...
Old 09-15-21, 06:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't only because it's part of Mazda's push to move the brand more upscale. Smart move imo
I think it's desperation (but also a smart move) because Subaru has crushed them in sales. In 2005 their sales were the same. Today Subaru outsells Mazda 2:1.

As of now subaru has 4.38% marketshare compared to 2.54% for mazda. In 2005 they were the same. Subaru has grown share every year since except a couple of years, see annual chart on this page:

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/subaru-us-sales-figures/

And mazda here:

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mazda-us-sales-figures/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-15-21 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 06:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Mazda is also in a squeeze play with interesting cuvs/suvs/sedans/coupes all around. Mazda appears to have no EV play any time soon either so 'zoom zoom' is kinda meaningless.

i do love the mx5/miata though because it has no rivals really.

Old 09-15-21, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i do love the mx5/miata though because it has no rivals really.
Well, yes and no. It does have one minor rival.....the relatively few recent Fiat 124 Spyders that were sold here (in the U.S.), and the even fewer number of them you will find for sale as used cars. Although they were done on the same platform, built in the same plant, and shared a number of the same mechanicals, the engines and some of the basic styling were different. I personally thought the 124 looked a lot better in its body-styling and trim, although the Mazda-sourced engine in the Miata is likely to be more reliable than the Fiat-sourced MultiAir turbo engine in the 124.

Do you think you will ever own another Miata, or are those days gone? I've gotten to the point where low-slung vehicles just don't cut it for me any more....one reason why my Lacrosse went out for an Encore GX.
Old 09-15-21, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, yes and no. It does have one minor rival.....the relatively few recent Fiat 124 Spyders that were sold here (in the U.S.)
i don't think the 124 is available now?

Do you think you will ever own another Miata, or are those days gone? I've gotten to the point where low-slung vehicles just don't cut it for me any more....one reason why my Lacrosse went out for an Encore GX.
I have an LC500... different toy but i don't need multiple toys and the lc is obviously more comfortable.

so... no.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-16-21 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 05:57 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Apparently, standard AWD on CX models only applies to the US market (as of now).

Update: A Mazda representative confirmed that the switch to all-wheel drive for its 2022-model-year SUVs is only for the US market. Details for the automaker's upcoming large SUV platform will be shared at a later date.
Source
Old 09-16-21, 06:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I find it interesting as well, especially since the RDX started as AWD only in 2007 and then introduced FWD in 2010. I wonder if it's also a way to streamline costs by only having one drivetrain to maintain going forward.
probably just to use all the resources and chips to make them all wheel drive…push the price up. Keep same stable

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Interesting. How does that push them upscale?

Quick Reply: 2022 Mazda CX-5