Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 06:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
probably just to use all the resources and chips to make them all wheel drive…push the price up. Keep same stable

Interesting. How does that push them upscale?
I bet you really do know how offering AWD only could potentially push the CX-5 upmarket a bit vs. current competitors.
Old 09-16-21, 06:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I bet you really do know how offering AWD only could potentially push the CX-5 upmarket a bit vs. current competitors.
Who are the current competitors that have standard awd? Not Lexus…not Buick…not Acura…
Old 09-16-21, 01:22 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

Who are the current competitors that have standard awd? Not Lexus…not Buick…not Acura…
Subaru? Not really upmarket, but...
Old 09-16-21, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Subaru? Not really upmarket, but...
I don't know how they are a Subaru competitor. IMO, Mazda has no idea what they are or want to be. If they go cheaper, they will be get killed by Toyota. The best thing they having going for them is that Toyota is backing them somewhat.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-16-21 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 02:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know how they are a Subaru competitor. IMO, Mazda has no idea what they are or what to be. If they go cheaper, they will be get killed by Toyota. The best thing they having going for them is that Toyota is backing them somewhat.
As an overall brand, sure. But you don't think there are any Mazda models (including the CX-5) that compete with Subaru models?
Old 09-16-21, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
As an overall brand, sure. But you don't think there are any Mazda models (including the CX-5) that compete with Subaru models?
When I "think" CX-5....I do not think Subaru. I think Buick and Acura (but then I am not sure if that would be correct)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-16-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 05:33 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

When I "think" CX-5....I do not think Subaru. I think Buick and Acura (but then I am not sure if that would be correct)
It seems Mazda is trying to find their own niche. It's actually not a horrible plan. It worked for crApple.
Old 09-16-21, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Ascent and CX-9 are probably loose-competitors.....as are the BRZ/Miata and CX-5/Forester. I don't think there is any American-market Mazda product that competes with the Outback.
Old 09-17-21, 04:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Ascent and CX-9 are probably loose-competitors.....as are the BRZ/Miata and CX-5/Forester. I don't think there is any American-market Mazda product that competes with the Outback.
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe, and there's lots of people in that forum that cross-shop the Outback. I think more people than you realize consider an Outback when looking at 2-row cross overs.

I would call the Ascent and CX-9 direct competitors - 3 row family crossovers with a turbo 4 engine.
Old 09-17-21, 04:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It seems Mazda is trying to find their own niche. It's actually not a horrible plan. It worked for crApple.
I think Mazda had their niche when they were “Zoom Zoom”. That is what I think when I think of Mazda. Not their new slogan of “Feel Alive” or their direction. In Canada they even offer unlimited km warranty…been like there for years. I do acknowledge that there are folks on here who really like their Mazda’s…and they do well in drivers tests etc etc.
Old 09-17-21, 06:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I think Mazda had their niche when they were “Zoom Zoom”. That is what I think when I think of Mazda. Not their new slogan of “Feel Alive” or their direction. In Canada they even offer unlimited km warranty…been like there for years. I do acknowledge that there are folks on here who really like their Mazda’s…and they do well in drivers tests etc etc.
Some people still think they're owned by Ford, and that's what comes to mind when they hear Mazda. Zoom-Zoom had it's day, but I agree "Feel Alive" does not really resonate well with most people. Hopefully, they'll come out with a new slogan that will better align with their upmarket desires.

If you haven't driven a current CX-5 Signature with the 2.5 turbo, I suggest you test drive one. I almost had to be dragged into the dealership back when we bought our 2019. Looks aside, I feel the 2022 is building on what was already a great product at a great price. I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by only offering AWD in the states. This should have no impact in areas like mine, where it would almost be impossible to find a FWD model. But, someone living down south, like Florida, would have little interest in a base model with AWD.
Old 09-17-21, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Thats what they want you to think of lol. In reality, the CX-5 is much cheaper than similar size entries from Buick and Acura. Thats one of my digs against the Buick Encore GX, for what one costs I would much rather have a bigger, better CX5 that doesn't have a 3cyl engine.

In reality, the CX5 competes with all the small SUVs, CRV, Rav4, Tuscon, Subaru Forester. Price points are all very similar. Mazda just does a good job of making the entry feel premium. My friend who I helped lease two of them, thats 100% why she has a CX-5. it feels like it competes with an RDX or a Lexus NX or something like that but its priced more like a Rav4 or CRV which is really what she wants to spend.
Old 09-17-21, 07:29 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Some people still think they're owned by Ford, and that's what comes to mind when they hear Mazda. Zoom-Zoom had it's day, but I agree "Feel Alive" does not really resonate well with most people. Hopefully, they'll come out with a new slogan that will better align with their upmarket desires.

If you haven't driven a current CX-5 Signature with the 2.5 turbo, I suggest you test drive one. I almost had to be dragged into the dealership back when we bought our 2019. Looks aside, I feel the 2022 is building on what was already a great product at a great price. I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by only offering AWD in the states. This should have no impact in areas like mine, where it would almost be impossible to find a FWD model. But, someone living down south, like Florida, would have little interest in a base model with AWD.
Mazda already had one of the lowest mixes of 2WD in the industry, and when a time where many are capacity constrained, makes sense to push to AWD only and build the higher price, likely higher margin configs. Yes, maybe they lose some FWD customers, but that's one less configuration to certify, manufacture, etc. Probably worth it for them.
Old 09-17-21, 07:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

FWD customers will still buy the AWD vehicles.
Old 09-17-21, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe, and there's lots of people in that forum that cross-shop the Outback. I think more people than you realize consider an Outback when looking at 2-row cross overs.

I would call the Ascent and CX-9 direct competitors - 3 row family crossovers with a turbo 4 engine.
Well, obviously a lot of people consider Outbacks.....their continuing popularity proves that. While the Outback has changed some in recent years, and is larger and more SUV-like, it still, to an extent, is actually more of a raised-suspension/AWD wagon than a crossover SUV.

Quick Reply: 2022 Mazda CX-5