Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22 | 03:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It must be cost savings...
100%. All about cost. The outgoing model had a pretty good set up. Was 2wd/4wd or you could leave it in full time 4wd as it also had a torsen centre diff.
Old 01-26-22 | 04:12 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Yes, and now that I'm looking into things this makes sense. They're running this Sequoia down the line with the Tundra in San Antonio and this will greatly reduce cost and complexity. Sounds like TNGA-F really isn't configured to support IRS as Motorola mentioned. Takes the guess work of what the 4Runner and Tacoma will be like at least.
Old 01-26-22 | 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, that makes sense...

I still gotta say though, I like this a lot more than the other offerings in the segment. Have they published dimensions? I wonder if its still just a little smaller than the GM/Ford utes like it always was?
Old 01-26-22 | 04:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

or EPA mileage ratings, full time AWD has a mileage penalty
Old 01-26-22 | 04:52 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I still gotta say though, I like this a lot more than the other offerings in the segment. Have they published dimensions? I wonder if its still just a little smaller than the GM/Ford utes like it always was?
​​​​​
I like the looks of this better than anything else as well. Way better in fact. Unfortunately for me I think the Yukon AT4 is going to the one for me in my particular situation. The Wagoneer with the off road package is compelling on paper but is just too ugly to consider.

No word on the dimensions yet, but the previous gen was every bit as big as the domestic competition when it debuted. It was actually wider and longer than the equivalent Tahoe.
Old 01-26-22 | 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
or EPA mileage ratings, full time AWD has a mileage penalty
Doesn't explain why there wouldnt be a 4WD Auto setting, as long as there is a 2WD setting then the EPA mileage rating beenfit would be there
Old 01-26-22 | 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't explain why there wouldnt be a 4WD Auto setting, as long as there is a 2WD setting then the EPA mileage rating beenfit would be there
‘You’d think the 2wd option has a mpg advantage, but the 2008 Sequoia/Land Cruiser were 15MPG..Toyota uses a automatic disconnecting diff at the front of their past part time systems, very primitive and super basic…so it still has some friction at the front and is always working but it just not connected to the diff up front. Unlike GM the front hubs aren’t truly disconnected (I think)

Toyota can be a bewildering company sometimes. Using the outgoing multi mode system solves everyone concerns

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-22 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-26-22 | 06:42 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

I think size wise this will be how highlander is positioned in its segment which is one of the smaller entries. This will be probably one the smaller entries in large suv segment.

Last edited by sorptd; 01-26-22 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-26-22 | 06:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

fold flat seats are VERY high compared to the rest of the market even pre IRS ones, no doubt a combination of body on frame + hybrid battery. Its like toyota had to put the hybrid in to distinguish this SUV from the competition or else it would've been merely an out of date catch up redesign, Obviously there are some drawbacks

last gen escalade that still had solid rear axle, still better than the hybrid sequoia

2021 GMC Yukon with IRS

Old 01-26-22 | 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Totally agree. Seems like a needless shot in the foot. I'm sure many will buy the Sequoia and not realize there's no full-time 4WD mode until later. The average consumer just sees "4WD" and doesn't ask more questions.
yup.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Not that I care, but I wonder if the 3rd row seat comfort is going to be a problem. The Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, and Wagoneer all have comfortable 3rd row seats thanks to IRS. The Sequoia still clearly has the seats sitting on the floor.
lol, yeah, the sequoia 3rd row seats are only good for kid car seats and others with no legs.

Looking more and more at this, I think this might be the best looking full sized SUV on the road...
in black anyway...

Its bizarre for them to not have an automatic 4WD system, so I wouldn't put it past them. Bizarre to go back to a live rear axle too
really weak on both fronts. isn't live axle supposedly good for off road? yet it doesn't have a decent 4wd system.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Rear axle may be to placate old Land Cruiser customers, if so I'm seeing Toyota's strategy here. That Capstone Sequoyah is stunning and I'm sure will touch 80 grand loaded, not that far off from an old 200 Cruiser. I'm sure TRD version will be a true off road beast rather than off road capability **sort of** tacked on last generation.
^^^ ah, the rationalization begins.

Makes zero sense to placate the small number of LC customers at the expense of the much larger group of customers who will compare the vehicle to SUVs with IRS which will drive better. The LX is still here for those customers.

Why is it that Toyota just can't seem to put a vehicle together right now that hits all the boxes?

ding, ding, ding.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
fold flat seats are VERY high compared to the rest of the market even pre IRS ones, no doubt a combination of body on frame + hybrid battery. Its like toyota had to put the hybrid in to distinguish this SUV from the competition or else it would've been merely an out of date catch up redesign, Obviously there are some drawbacks
2021 GMC Yukon with IRS

yup, and as they say, a pic is worth a thousand words, that yukon's cargo space looks WAY bigger and more useful.
Old 01-26-22 | 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yet it doesn't have a decent 4wd system.

Once you lock a Land Cruiser, my 4Runner a Tundra and Tacoma, a LX570 or a GX….they are all 50:50 4WD. The Sequoia now has a locking rear diff which makes it true 3WD. So it’s quite superior than the previous Sequoia models. Even superior than the Land Cruiser system on the previous model when off roading.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-22 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-26-22 | 10:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Once you lock a Land Cruiser, my 4Runner a Tundra and Tacoma, a LX570 or a GX….they are all 50:50 4WD. The Sequoia now has a locking rear diff which makes it true 3WD. So it’s quite superior than the previous Sequoia models. Even superior than the Land Cruiser system on the previous model when off roading.

Locked differentials can only be used on slippery surfaces or off-road, where conditions allow tire-slip. If one ends up back on dry pavement before unlocking the diff, and tries to turn a corner, it can cause tire-scrub and drive-train binding with possible damage. Full-time AWD, with unlocked center-differentials, helps prevent that by allowing all four wheels to rotate at different speeds while still feeding power.

Here is a typical warning sign.

Old 01-26-22 | 11:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

After two days of absorbing this, I kinda see why the new Land Cruiser isn't brought here. With the new Sequoia, the two would have been duplicates.
Also, get ready for dealer shortages, over MSRP pricing, and awards across the board. This will be an extremely successful vehicle for Toyota.
Old 01-27-22 | 07:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
CL Folding 10,000

I think it looks really good. I’m genuinely impressed with everything except that rear cargo space looks small compared to the Escalade/Yukon pictures, and the 4WD stuff everyone mentioned. If I had the money, I would buy one.

I’m curious how the next 4Runner and Tacoma will look.
Old 01-27-22 | 07:22 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
I think it looks really good. I’m genuinely impressed with everything except that rear cargo space looks small compared to the Escalade/Yukon pictures, and the 4WD stuff everyone mentioned. If I had the money, I would buy one.

I’m curious how the next 4Runner and Tacoma will look.
It's a bummer there doesn't seem to be any enclosed compartment under the floor like many other SUVs.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia