Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22, 07:59 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
After two days of absorbing this, I kinda see why the new Land Cruiser isn't brought here. With the new Sequoia, the two would have been duplicates.
Also, get ready for dealer shortages, over MSRP pricing, and awards across the board. This will be an extremely successful vehicle for Toyota.
I agree, a new LC would have been redundant with the 2023 Sequoia. While I love the new sequoias looks, off-road chops, and features, I am nervous that TNGA-F cannot accommodate the roll down rear window and will the new 4runner also not get a Torsen multi mode 4wd system like the limited version has now?
Old 01-27-22, 08:09 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I agree, a new LC would have been redundant with the 2023 Sequoia. While I love the new sequoias looks, off-road chops, and features, I am nervous that TNGA-F cannot accommodate the roll down rear window and will the new 4runner also not get a Torsen multi mode 4wd system like the limited version has now?
I don't know if it's a TNGA-F limitation or cost limitation... I lean towards the cost/beancounter piece.

4Runner Limited actually has the full-time 4WD system right now.
Old 01-27-22, 08:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know if it's a TNGA-F limitation or cost limitation... I lean towards the cost/beancounter piece.

Same here. That's why I like that my 200 shares no platform with anything else. Part of what makes them special.
Old 01-27-22, 08:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if there could be a reason for the full time 4WD system to be incompatible with the hybrid drivetrain. Nothing comes immediately to mind, but I find it odd that they offer the hybrid version on the Tundra and the Sequoia, where full time 4WD isn't an option, but then don't offer the hybrid version on the LX, where full time 4WD is standard.

Like I said earlier, it isn't an issue for me, but I find it odd that they did this.
Old 01-27-22, 08:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if there could be a reason for the full time 4WD system to be incompatible with the hybrid drivetrain. Nothing comes immediately to mind, but I find it odd that they offer the hybrid version on the Tundra and the Sequoia, where full time 4WD isn't an option, but then don't offer the hybrid version on the LX, where full time 4WD is standard.

Like I said earlier, it isn't an issue for me, but I find it odd that they did this.
Toyota offers full time mechanical awd with a Torsen diff on the LS500h. Definitely can be done.
Old 01-27-22, 09:07 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Probably true knowing toyota....its a cost thing
I juts sold my 2017 4runner limited, so very familiar with its 4wd system (not counting the 5 other 4Rs I owned previously). Ha!
Old 01-27-22, 09:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota offers full time mechanical awd with a Torsen diff on the LS500h. Definitely can be done.
I think that's a pretty different hybrid system and drivetrain. As I recall, it's more of a "traditional" Toyota/Lexus hybrid system, with the eCVT and such. The iForce MAX is different and I am just wondering if their current full time system wouldn't work with it without big and costly changes. Just thinking out loud and trying to figure out why they wouldn't offer the hybrid system on the LX, which does have full time 4WD.
Old 01-27-22, 10:02 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that's a pretty different hybrid system and drivetrain. As I recall, it's more of a "traditional" Toyota/Lexus hybrid system, with the eCVT and such. The iForce MAX is different and I am just wondering if their current full time system wouldn't work with it without big and costly changes. Just thinking out loud and trying to figure out why they wouldn't offer the hybrid system on the LX, which does have full time 4WD.
My guess is the new hybrid powertrain will come to the new LX its just a matter of time. Could just be a supply or production realignment issue.
Old 01-27-22, 10:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sorptd
My guess is the new hybrid powertrain will come to the new LX its just a matter of time. Could just be a supply or production realignment issue.
I really hope it does.
Old 01-27-22, 10:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There should be no reason why it cannot work. The hybrid Sequoia in 4WD performs the same function as the LX570 in 4WD with the centre diff locked. My guess is that Toyota wants to save money and very likely the American market doesn't value full time 4WD as much as we think. I have also seen some rumours that the Land Cruiser will return for MY 2024, so that would give the perfect opportunity to offer a Toyota SUV with full 4WD. Just my guess
Old 01-27-22, 11:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Looks like there are definitely challenges to 2nd row and 3rd row comfort. 2nd row can't slide fore/aft (didn't realize that from the pics) and headroom issues with the panoramic roof.

Not sure how this got through R&D and product planning.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-3-row-seating
Old 01-27-22, 11:21 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

it has a **** to turn this into 4wd? its the same case with 4runner for a while. How is this any different? I remember when I had the 4runner I would just leave it to 4wd for years and it worked fine. this is diff?
I am confused
There should be no reason why it cannot work. The hybrid Sequoia in 4WD performs the same function as the LX570 in 4WD with the centre diff locked. My guess is that Toyota wants to save money and very likely the American market doesn't value full time 4WD as much as we think. I have also seen some rumours that the Land Cruiser will return for MY 2024, so that would give the perfect opportunity to offer a Toyota SUV with full 4WD. Just my guess
Old 01-27-22, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
it has a **** to turn this into 4wd? its the same case with 4runner for a while. How is this any different? I remember when I had the 4runner I would just leave it to 4wd for years and it worked fine. this is diff?
I am confused
So…both my 4Rs do not have 2WD. They are always in 4WD and the torque splits based on traction and it is alway varying. I do have a center diff that locks to 50;50 4WD split. The new Sequoia has 2WD or 4WD that is 50:50 locked. Make sense?
Old 01-27-22, 11:31 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UZ214
I am confused
Electronic Transfer Case is not the same as what's going on underneath.

Not sure what 4Runner you've had, but many of the 3rd gen 4Runner (96-02) had the multimode system which COULD be run in 4WD on pavement.
4th gen 4runner, the V8's had the full time 4wd system. I believe the V6's of that gen had the multimode, which has the Torsen center diff which could be locked when needed.

5th gen 4runner (current) only the Limited offers a full-time 4wd system, all other trims offer a part time system (similar to what's now being offered on Sequoia)

This Part time system, still electronically controlled, but 4WD High in this case should not be used on pavement.
Old 01-27-22, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Completely different system eCVT etc

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia