Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22 | 04:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just can't see buying a utility vehicle and not being able to put it in a 4WD auto mode when driving in the rain...as much as I really like this. I'd rather my wife not be driving my kids in a vehicle that will 98% of the time be RWD.

Third row and cargo area are a direct result of the live axle.
Like I said before, it's definitely a weird omission. But I drive around in the rain all the time in my Tundra in RWD and it's totally not an issue, including in the rain (hello, Seattle). It was in my Tacoma, though. But I don't disagree with you that it should be there. To know and love Toyota is to be perplexed by them continually.

But this goes back to my earlier question about other reasons. I still want to know if it's just a coincidence that the hybrid vehicles are ONLY offered without a full time 4WD system, while the vehicles (LC, LX) with full time 4WD, are (currently) only offered without the hybrid. I'd like to think Toyota is working on a new full time 4WD system for the hybrid and it's just not ready yet. That would allow them to add the hybrid option to the LX, and add the full time 4WD option to the Tundra and Sequoia. But then, I'm undoubtedly dreaming...
Old 01-27-22 | 04:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

all this 4wd discussion reminds me how jeep offers at least 3 different 4wd packages for the grand cherokee (and other models) with increasing capabilities and sophistication.

https://www.jeep.com/4x4.html

example

QUADRA-DRIVE® II WITH REAR ELECTRONIC LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

The definitive capability statement—the available Quadra-Drive® II 4x4 System with rear electronic limited-slip differential delivers legendary Jeep® Brand off-road capability. Choose the Auto mode in the available Selec-Terrain® Traction Management System for everyday driving or quickly dial in Sport, Snow, Sand/Mud or Rock for specific driving conditions. Adding another dimension is the available Quadra-Lift® Air Suspension System—it can raise the vehicle for better off-road capability. It also has a neutral mode for trailering behind a recreational vehicle.

• Fully automatic high range for year-round driving in all conditions
  • Active electronic transfer case
  • Rear electronic limited-slip differential
  • When traction is lost, torque can be sent to the wheel with the most traction—up to 100%
  • Torque can be sent front to back or side to side
  • 4 Low mode locks front and rear driveshafts for low-speed power, rock crawling and towing
  • Available Selec-Terrain® Traction Management System includes five modes: Auto, Sport, Snow, Sand & Mud and Rock
  • Neutral mode capability for available flat towing behind a recreational vehicle

4 options:
Old 01-27-22 | 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

have the dimensions / cargo capacities been put out there yet?
Old 01-27-22 | 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all this 4wd discussion reminds me how jeep offers at least 3 different 4wd packages for the grand cherokee (and other models) with increasing capabilities and sophistication.
Yeah, great systems.

The Grand Cherokee L is on my list to replace the Pacifica, but I really would like to get away from Chrysler. if this Sequoia is a little smaller than say an Expedition it might work...but this is a big omission. I'm going to look at the new QX60 and the new MDX, as well as the Palisade which should be refreshed when the time comes.

Expedition wouldn't fit in my garage, they're too tall. Plus, too big to be driving around every day IMO.

Originally Posted by JDR76
ut this goes back to my earlier question about other reasons. I still want to know if it's just a coincidence that the hybrid vehicles are ONLY offered without a full time 4WD system, while the vehicles (LC, LX) with full time 4WD, are (currently) only offered without the hybrid. I'd like to think Toyota is working on a new full time 4WD system for the hybrid and it's just not ready yet. That would allow them to add the hybrid option to the LX, and add the full time 4WD option to the Tundra and Sequoia. But then, I'm undoubtedly dreaming...
Thats possible...
Old 01-27-22 | 05:14 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

amen, and here i was getting excited about this sequoia.

I just can't see buying a utility vehicle and not being able to put it in a 4WD auto mode when driving in the rain...as much as I really like this. I'd rather my wife not be driving my kids in a vehicle that will 98% of the time be RWD.

Old 01-27-22 | 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely an omission for the Sequoia. The Toyota trucks have always been pure 4x4. I also think Toyota did themselves a disservice in that the first and second gen Sequoia had multi mode 4WD, but nobody really knows the Sequoia was really a full time system if you left it on 4H.
Old 01-27-22 | 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
But this goes back to my earlier question about other reasons. I still want to know if it's just a coincidence that the hybrid vehicles are ONLY offered without a full time 4WD system, while the vehicles (LC, LX) with full time 4WD, are (currently) only offered without the hybrid. I'd like to think Toyota is working on a new full time 4WD system for the hybrid and it's just not ready yet. That would allow them to add the hybrid option to the LX, and add the full time 4WD option to the Tundra and Sequoia. But then, I'm undoubtedly dreaming...
Still makes no sense. Because if you locked the transfer case into 4WD in the Sequoia, it is no different than locking the centre diff in the LX. So it’s the same.
Old 01-28-22 | 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Still makes no sense. Because if you locked the transfer case into 4WD in the Sequoia, it is no different than locking the centre diff in the LX. So it’s the same.
And it would be simple just to disallow EV only mode when the car is in AWD mode
Old 01-28-22 | 07:45 AM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Here's a podcast with TFL - they go into detail about the Sequoia and even have an interview with the chief engineer towards the end. Interesting tidbit is that the current gen Sequoia is built in Indiana alongside the Sienna. Apparently Toyota was considering axing the Sequoia, but decided not to. That's why the new gen sits on the Tundras platform (has solid rear axle) and will be built alongside it in Texas.

They don't state the specific dimensions, but it was mentioned that it's similar to the outgoing model.

Last edited by Tritonal; 01-28-22 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-28-22 | 08:37 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Yeah, great systems.

The Grand Cherokee L is on my list to replace the Pacifica, but I really would like to get away from Chrysler. if this Sequoia is a little smaller than say an Expedition it might work...but this is a big omission. I'm going to look at the new QX60 and the new MDX, as well as the Palisade which should be refreshed when the time comes.

Thats possible...
Waiting to see if people receiving the 2022s still have the software gremlins 21s have. GCL is a very tempting option.

Last edited by SC300Es; 01-28-22 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-28-22 | 08:41 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

This rep gives the reason for the omission of the full time AWD. At about 4:50

Old 01-28-22 | 09:11 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

^^^ Also known as cost savings
Old 01-28-22 | 09:18 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Yeah that was a weak excuse.
Old 01-28-22 | 09:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yeah that was a weak excuse.
Can’t watch the video. But what was their reason?
Old 01-28-22 | 09:23 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tritonal
That's why the new gen sits on the Tundras platform (has solid rear axle) and will be built alongside it in Texas.
That doesn't answer anything. The Tundra platform is the same as the new Land Cruiser and LX platform, the real question should be why TNGA-F was not designed to accommodate independent rear suspension like other modern BOF offerings.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia