Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Size and solid axle are gonna hold it back. Rear seat room is already smaller. I think it will be like 10K a year, and decrease after that.
Yeah with the Sequoia I agree, BUT for me I would prefer it be a little smaller than say a Tahoe or an Expedition, even if it means less interior room. I appreciate the more robust construction and "special" nature over a 3 row crossover, and I could see myself springing for one of these if its a more managable size and fits well in my garage. Tahoe/Expedition are too tall to fit in the garage

For space in the Sequoia its a 1-2 punch, you have the live axle PLUS the batteries.
Old 01-29-22, 09:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah, he's full of poop lol.

I went to the DC Car show today, and while they didnt have the Sequoia obviously they did have several Tundras. I LOVE it, no doubt my favorite fullsized truck. The Domestic trucks just seemed plain and dated and so much more expensive. My business partner who has the Ram was with me and he agreed, was blown away by the Tundra. The Sequoia is going to be great.
That’s really good to hear! After seeing how awesome the Sequoia is, I’ll have to check out the Tundra sometime. I haven’t actually seen one in person yet.
Old 01-29-22, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
That’s really good to hear! After seeing how awesome the Sequoia is, I’ll have to check out the Tundra sometime. I haven’t actually seen one in person yet.
It looks AWESOME in person. My favorite vehicle of the show. They had a pearl white Capstone on the turntable and it was just awesome looking.
Old 01-29-22, 02:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah with the Sequoia I agree, BUT for me I would prefer it be a little smaller than say a Tahoe or an Expedition, even if it means less interior room. I appreciate the more robust construction and "special" nature over a 3 row crossover, and I could see myself springing for one of these if its a more manageable size and fits well in my garage. Tahoe/Expedition are too tall to fit in the garage

For space in the Sequoia its a 1-2 punch, you have the live axle PLUS the batteries.
1 step forward with hybrid, then 2 steps back with the SRA in an IRS segment. That neutered cargo area is going to be a deal breaker for many who are looking for size and space in this segment. Imagine trying to load luggage and cargo now that the floor is 8-10 inches higher than most vehicles and youll have to climb/crawl into the vehicle to reach the rest of the cargo. Why buy a vehicle that size that has compromised interior space? A 3 row crossover will do the job and have better 3rd row and more interior space and would fit in your garage over this.

watch them come out with an IRS version later so they can catch up to the rest of the market again.
Old 01-29-22, 03:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Perfect example as to why Sequoyah needs auto 4WD. This was me flooring my LX on an icy road, do not mind my stupid voice. (Before people want to judge, it got dry by the time I was at speed....I slowed way down immediately after the clip.). I just floored it from a stop, the A-Trac took care of it before the Torsen diff even had to start moving torque around.

Say it's a mother/father with 5 kids in this new Sequoyah....she/he has to see the bad roads, stop to probably take a look at the land what they're dealing with, switch the 4Hi, then turn it back off again where the roads are all dry. That is inexcusable, would probably be a deal breaker for me. With Auto 4WD you just set and forget it, that's the whole point. Just put it in 2 when it's not slick and leave it.
Attached Files
Old 01-29-22, 03:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree all around...
Old 01-29-22, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Perfect example as to why Sequoyah needs auto 4WD. This was me flooring my LX on an icy road, do not mind my stupid voice. (Before people want to judge, it got dry by the time I was at speed....I slowed way down immediately after the clip.). I just floored it from a stop, the A-Trac took care of it before the Torsen diff even had to start moving torque around.

Say it's a mother/father with 5 kids in this new Sequoyah....she/he has to see the bad roads, stop to probably take a look at the land what they're dealing with, switch the 4Hi, then turn it back off again where the roads are all dry. That is inexcusable, would probably be a deal breaker for me. With Auto 4WD you just set and forget it, that's the whole point. Just put it in 2 when it's not slick and leave it.
Well said. At minimum…. Auto 4WD like GM had in 1998 is what Toyota should offer. And even Auto 4WD can be disabled to be just 2WD or 4WD if someone really really wants. The 4LO is useless on this rig
Old 01-29-22, 04:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well said. At minimum…. Auto 4WD like GM had in 1998 is what Toyota should offer. And even Auto 4WD can be disabled to be just 2WD or 4WD if someone really really wants. The 4LO is useless on this rig
Yes, and in the Yukon's owner's manual even it says use 2 unless it's slick. It's not like this is cutting edge, brand new, expensive tech. I seriously can't believe this omission.

Would have had to have been MUCH more careful accelerating with that on a slick road in the GMC. Would have ended up in a ditch most likely if I gunned it like the LX today, nothing like A-Trac or a fancy center diff to take over. But point is I could have hit auto in GMC and made it fine, but not in a new $75,000 Sequoyah 14 years due for a redesign? And I'm a car nut. Average consumer may not realize what they're not getting bc they don't read the fine print, and I'll guarantee the salesmen will try to avoid getting into the 4x4 when selling these.

Toyota can do 4WD so well and then they take the flea market route with this stunning new Sequoyah? Count this as another Toyota mystery, "what were they thinking".

Old 01-29-22, 07:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts

It looks AWESOME in person. My favorite vehicle of the show. They had a pearl white Capstone on the turntable and it was just awesome looking.
I’m happy to hear that! Did they let you sit inside any of the Tundras?
Old 01-29-22, 07:48 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
1 step forward with hybrid, then 2 steps back with the SRA in an IRS segment. That neutered cargo area is going to be a deal breaker for many who are looking for size and space in this segment. Imagine trying to load luggage and cargo now that the floor is 8-10 inches higher than most vehicles and youll have to climb/crawl into the vehicle to reach the rest of the cargo. Why buy a vehicle that size that has compromised interior space? A 3 row crossover will do the job and have better 3rd row and more interior space and would fit in your garage over this.

watch them come out with an IRS version later so they can catch up to the rest of the market again.
I have to agree - my first thought was i wonder if those 3rd row seats can be removed.
Old 01-29-22, 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

i think this rear cargo is area is just one hot mess.

Old 01-29-22, 10:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think this rear cargo is area is just one hot mess.
I agree, it almost looks unfinished and kind of embarrassing at this price point.

Going back to the lack of full time 4WD I had a first and second gen GX and that was one of the things I loved most. Based on what I’ve learned from everyone here about the Sequoia’s 4WD system, I would never buy it.
Old 01-30-22, 04:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree, it almost looks unfinished and kind of embarrassing at this price point.

Going back to the lack of full time 4WD I had a first and second gen GX and that was one of the things I loved most. Based on what I’ve learned from everyone here about the Sequoia’s 4WD system, I would never buy it.
GX definitely has claws, too. Unstoppable. Has Toyota ever put Full Time 4WD in anything that you could set to "2"? I can't recall anything.

I have to agree on that rear cargo area, too. That's just a mess.
Old 01-30-22, 05:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
GX definitely has claws, too. Unstoppable. Has Toyota ever put Full Time 4WD in anything that you could set to "2"? I can't recall anything.
The outgoing sequoia (and first gen Seq) had 2WD mode, and full time 4WD mode as well

Originally Posted by patgilm
t.
Pretty much. Totally useless for the price and $$$
Old 01-30-22, 05:57 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

This might be a dumb question, but roughly how much more $$$ would full-time 4wd add to the price of this vehicle? Definitely seems to be a misstep from Toyota.

I agree, the cargo area is a complete miss. The prior generation Sequoia had a fabulous amount of space in the back, plus the 3rd row was good even for adults.

Still like the TRD Pro version, but maybe not enough to actually buy one.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia