Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-22, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That makes zero sense as the part time system is the one thats more aimed at offroading,

I tend to agree it makes little sense, but that's Toyota's marketing. The part-time systems and/or locked-differentials are at their best off-road......and at their worst on dry pavement.

Toyota has always been slow to understand truck marketing in the U.S. That's why it took them three generations, and a dozen years (1994-2006) to get their T100/150/Tundra series correct in both size and engines for this market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-22 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-04-22, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I tend to agree it makes little sense, but that's Toyota's marketing. The part-time systems and/or locked-differentials are at their best off-road......and at their worst on dry pavement.

Toyota has always been slow to understand truck marketing in the U.S. That's why it took them three generations, and a dozen years (1994-2006) to get their T100/150/Tundra series correct in both size and engines for this market.
Yeah, they do lots of things that make zero sense lol
Old 02-04-22, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, they do lots of things that make zero sense lol
How is part time 4WD superior to selectable multi mode 4WD of the past two gen Sequoias? You both make no sense, you are both backwards with this logic.
Old 02-04-22, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How is part time 4WD superior to selectable multi mode 4WD of the past two gen Sequoias? You both make no sense, you are both backwards
You misunderstand at least me, I don't think its superior at all, it should have selectable multi-mode 4WD...

A system that just has 4HI and 4LO is best suited to offroad use and not onroad use, and Toyota has put the multimode system on the TRD, the offroad focused truck when that system would most benefit the other trims which are mostly used onroad.

ALL Sequoias should have the multimode system the TRD Pro has.
Old 02-04-22, 07:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You misunderstand at least me, I don't think its superior at all, it should have selectable multi-mode 4WD...

A system that just has 4HI and 4LO is best suited to offroad use and not onroad use, and Toyota has put the multimode system on the TRD, the offroad focused truck when that system would most benefit the other trims which are mostly used onroad.

ALL Sequoias should have the multimode system the TRD Pro has.
Got yeah. Last gen Sequoia TRD Pro had multi mode just like all over the other Sequoias. That to me is what is frustrating as they did it across the board for 22 years. I am pretty sure the new Pro does not have multi mode
Old 02-04-22, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I don't understand. If you look at the article that mmarshall posted, the TRD pro has full time 4WD, but they say there are "only two options"

So, what does that mean?! Does it run in 4HI all the time? Or is there an automatic 4WD option instead of the 2WD selection? How can it run in 4H all the time?!
Old 02-04-22, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I don't understand. If you look at the article that mmarshall posted, the TRD pro has full time 4WD, but they say there are "only two options"

So, what does that mean?! Does it run in 4HI all the time? Or is there an automatic 4WD option instead of the 2WD selection? How can it run in 4H all the time?!
It can run 4H all the time if there is full time. The last gen could do that or driver could decide they want 2WD as well. I guess I meant to say I believe the article is incorrect in their claim
Old 02-04-22, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you're right. I downloaded the high res image from the Toyota Pressroom and zoomed in, same 2H, 4H and 4L selections in the TRD Pro:

Old 02-04-22, 07:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think you're right. I downloaded the high res image from the Toyota Pressroom and zoomed in, same 2H, 4H and 4L selections in the TRD Pro:

Thx. I’m 99.9% for sure. There is no center diff lock button to give it away. Unless it’s up on the left side of the dash like my two SUVs have it.

It is very unfortunate Toyota has done this. Toyota also put the electric actuator/motor outside of the transfer case….exposed to all the elements

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-04-22 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-04-22, 09:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, no surprise "hotcars.com" had inaccurate information. They also used the term "overlapping" instead of "overlanding" in their 4WD blurb so their credibility is already in doubt.
Old 02-04-22, 12:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yeah, no surprise "hotcars.com" had inaccurate information. They also used the term "overlapping" instead of "overlanding" in their 4WD blurb so their credibility is already in doubt.
Absolutely. Incorrect information that is easily refuted by the Toyota website itself. It's true that the TRD Pro will be offered only in 4WD, but it's the part time 4WD system, meaning there is no 2WD model.
Old 02-04-22, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How is part time 4WD superior to selectable multi mode 4WD of the past two gen Sequoias? You both make no sense, you are both backwards with this logic.
I don't think you read entirely what I said. I said (correctly) that Part-Time 4WD, with no center-differential and all four wheels rotating at the same speed, is superior off-road and on slippery on-road surfaces....it also has fewer parts in the system to fail or wear. However, it is NOT suitable for dry-pavement use, for reasons which have already been thoroughly discussed, both in this thread and in many others, by both me and Steve.
Old 02-04-22, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think you read entirely what I said. I said (correctly) that Part-Time 4WD, with no center-differential and all four wheels rotating at the same speed, is superior off-road and on slippery on-road surfaces....it also has fewer parts in the system to fail or wear. However, it is NOT suitable for dry-pavement use, for reasons which have already been thoroughly discussed, both in this thread and in many others, by both me and Steve.
Oh. Okay. I get what you are saying
Old 02-04-22, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thx. I’m 99.9% for sure. There is no center diff lock button to give it away. Unless it’s up on the left side of the dash like my two SUVs have it.

It is very unfortunate Toyota has done this. Toyota also put the electric actuator/motor outside of the transfer case….exposed to all the elements

Those electronic actuators are also not the most reliable parts in the system....although Toyota probably does them as well or better than anyone else. If you remember my first delivery-report on my Encore GX, that was the first piece on it to fail...the day I took delivery. It went into the service bay before I could even drive it home LOL. They ordered the part overnight...it was ready to go late the next morning. It was worth it, though....just love the vehicle, like you do your 4Runner.
Old 02-04-22, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah.....that one left me scratching my head, too. Simply doesn't make sense from a vehicle-design point of view, where the dedicated off-roader should get the part-time system, and the on-roader the more sophisticated system with the center-diff and electronic-actuator. The only possible thing I can think of is that, somehow, the Toyota marketers figured that, on the non-TRD Sequoias (which are admittedly cheaper), the vehicle would not often need or use AWD or 4WD at all. Of course, the full-time or on-demand system also makes driving on paved surfaces easier, too....like you, IMO, it makes more sense on a non-TRD. So, perhaps once again, it gets back to money...the same reason Toyota did those relatively cheap interiors for a number of years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-22 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia