Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 04:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm torn on this. The domestic trucks are clearly already ahead and in typical Toyota fashion it's a huge revision expected to last a long time. Issue I see is unlike the last gen it isn't starting massively ahead of its competitors.

I don't have much reason to want one since I only have 47k miles on mine. On the other hand the interior is far nicer......

Engine totally kills it though. I have no desire for a 6
Old 06-08-22, 04:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'm torn on this. The domestic trucks are clearly already ahead and in typical Toyota fashion it's a huge revision expected to last a long time. Issue I see is unlike the last gen it isn't starting massively ahead of its competitors.

I don't have much reason to want one since I only have 47k miles on mine. On the other hand the interior is far nicer......

Engine totally kills it though. I have no desire for a 6
It does suck the V8 is gone but at least the new V6 is generally well regarded, so far at least. That said, forget it. I'm trying to find an exhaust for my 5.7 that would fit and not compromise any off road ability that only burbles when you get on it. I don't care about gas mileage.

This Sequoyah would be off my list simply bc of no Auto 4WD. Guarantee there will be plenty of wrecks with these when the roads get slick in northern areas, etc .etc. Drivers are going to assume something is there that isn't and slide off the road.
Old 06-08-22, 05:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts

It looks great in that review. I would prefer the V8 as an option but I’d be totally fine with the V6 with a nice exhaust on it.

Can the third row seats be taken out of these?
Old 06-08-22, 07:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

toyota brought a solid rear axle knife to a rear IRS gunfight on this one, big mistake
Old 06-08-22, 07:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
toyota brought a solid rear axle knife to a rear IRS gunfight on this one, big mistake
Oh yeah......big downgrade from the last one.
Old 06-08-22, 07:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It does suck the V8 is gone but at least the new V6 is generally well regarded, so far at least. That said, forget it. I'm trying to find an exhaust for my 5.7 that would fit and not compromise any off road ability that only burbles when you get on it. I don't care about gas mileage.

This Sequoyah would be off my list simply bc of no Auto 4WD. Guarantee there will be plenty of wrecks with these when the roads get slick in northern areas, etc .etc. Drivers are going to assume something is there that isn't and slide off the road.
Wait, are you saying people will think they have 4WD when they’re in 2WD?
Old 06-08-22, 07:47 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think they just nailed the looks of this thing, and the engine is getting great reviews. I'm just disappointed in the cargo space and third row volume. I'll reserve final judgment until I see one in person, but those would be my potential show-stoppers.
Exactly my thoughts - the cargo space and 3rd row destroy it for me, unfortunately.
Old 06-08-22, 08:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Wait, are you saying people will think they have 4WD when they’re in 2WD?
I’d be willing to bet that in some cases, yes.

Old 06-08-22, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Absolutely that would happen. My wife would never put it in 4WD.
Old 06-08-22, 08:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Does that happen with Tundras in 2WD? I’ve never seen accidents on the forums for that. Traction control would kick in. If someone thinks they’re in 4WD, despite not putting it in 4WD and the controls in 2WD, that’s not the fault of the car. I’ve never been so close to dropping CL as I am tonight Maybe I’m just out of patience for the day.
Old 06-08-22, 09:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Absolutely that would happen. My wife would never put it in 4WD.
Yeah......it's amazing sometimes. There is literally a label facing you on the sun visor on Toyotas that CLEARLY outlines how the system works but people just don't read.
Old 06-09-22, 06:58 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

we had a massive hurricane/ rainstorm with flash floods warning here yesterday night, my wife took the LX for her work conference in NJ few days ago and was on her way back. Long story short it was nasty yesterday and she came home in the LX stating that rain was crazy but she had no issues and how much she appreciated how this car works in bad weather. I know for a fact she only knows three things in the car, the start button and gas and brake, she won't be engaging the 4wd for the new sequoia and will probably think its the same as LX (full time 4wd) and that won't be a. good scenario.
Old 06-09-22, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Does that happen with Tundras in 2WD? I’ve never seen accidents on the forums for that. Traction control would kick in. If someone thinks they’re in 4WD, despite not putting it in 4WD and the controls in 2WD, that’s not the fault of the car. I’ve never been so close to dropping CL as I am tonight Maybe I’m just out of patience for the day.
Its the fault of the car's designers for not having an option available that provides a full time or automatic 4WD experience, which you gotta have in a family vehicle.

If I were to buy a Sequoia, my wife would primarily drive it. Now, I would just put it in 4WD if there was a heavy rain or it started to snow or it was icy...she would never think to do that...she just gets in a car and drives it. I use engine braking down a long grade, she's just going to use the brakes. So, essentially my wife would always be driving a RWD vehicle regardless of the conditions, and I'm not comfortable with that.

Switching from 2WD to 4WD manually requires a focus and interest out of using the capabilities of the vehicle to its fullest in varying road conditions that she does not possess. If it had a 2WD, 4WD AUTO or 4WD Low switch option, I would just put it in 4WD AUTO and tell her "never change this" and she never would, she would have no interest in doing so. Even if she did put it in 4WD, she would never change it back to 2WD when it was time to do that, nor would she recognize, understand or care when the conditions were so that it needed to go back into 2WD.

If her auto headlights failed...she would drive around in the dark lol. LOTS of people are like her...look at the identical descriptions here!

So for me this setup would be no problem, but for a vehicle that my wife drives primarily this one lack of function totally disqualifies it from my garage. When I had my RWD sedans as an example, I would never let her drive one of them in the snow...because she doesn't have the experience or skills I have driving a vehicle like that in the snow, nor does she have any interest in learning them. One of the big points of buying a vehicle like this for my family is knowing that they are always in the safest vehicle and the most capable vehicle, and not having AUTO 4WD or full time 4WD and knowing that she would never think to change the drive mode diminishes that greatly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-09-22 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 07:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah......it's amazing sometimes. There is literally a label facing you on the sun visor on Toyotas that CLEARLY outlines how the system works but people just don't read.
Correct, you just summed it up. You think a mother or father of 6 all in that truck when the roads turn to **** are gonna stop and say "hang on, let me check the visor"?

No auto 4WD is just an unforgivable omission in something this nice and expensive.

Originally Posted by UZ214
we had a massive hurricane/ rainstorm with flash floods warning here yesterday night, my wife took the LX for her work conference in NJ few days ago and was on her way back. Long story short it was nasty yesterday and she came home in the LX stating that rain was crazy but she had no issues and how much she appreciated how this car works in bad weather. I know for a fact she only knows three things in the car, the start button and gas and brake, she won't be engaging the 4wd for the new sequoia and will probably think its the same as LX (full time 4wd) and that won't be a. good scenario.
Yep, you don't have to do anything. Very confidence inspiring. It's fun to floor it out onto a road in the rain (when there's no traffic, etc.), it has claws. And the bolded is exactly what I'm saying. It's nothing personal toward anyone, I myself might forget but it could be too late which is my point.

Kinda sad bc we were all hopeful this would take Land Cruiser's place unofficially, I like it but it's not a standout in any way. No way would I buy this over an equivalent 80K GMC.
Old 06-09-22, 07:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Sequoia is a poor mans Landcruiser, which in turn is a poor mans LX, right?

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia