Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

The Sequoia sells far more to families than the LandCruiser or the LX does. This vehicle is primarily a family hauler.
Old 06-09-22, 08:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Sequoia sells far more to families than the LandCruiser or the LX does. This vehicle is primarily a family hauler.
Well yeah, it is the size of a NYC one bedroom on wheels. But it is similar to the LC/LX without all the fancy materials and trick suspension/drivetrain.
Old 06-09-22, 09:20 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

The TRD Pro looks nice, I think they did a very good job actually, interior and everything else compared to LX600 which I think did not change that much. the white on Black looks very sharp.
Old 06-09-22, 09:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Its the fault of the car's designers for not having an option available that provides a full time or automatic 4WD experience, which you gotta have in a family vehicle.

If I were to buy a Sequoia, my wife would primarily drive it. Now, I would just put it in 4WD if there was a heavy rain or it started to snow or it was icy...she would never think to do that...she just gets in a car and drives it. I use engine braking down a long grade, she's just going to use the brakes. So, essentially my wife would always be driving a RWD vehicle regardless of the conditions, and I'm not comfortable with that.

Switching from 2WD to 4WD manually requires a focus and interest out of using the capabilities of the vehicle to its fullest in varying road conditions that she does not possess. If it had a 2WD, 4WD AUTO or 4WD Low switch option, I would just put it in 4WD AUTO and tell her "never change this" and she never would, she would have no interest in doing so. Even if she did put it in 4WD, she would never change it back to 2WD when it was time to do that, nor would she recognize, understand or care when the conditions were so that it needed to go back into 2WD.

If her auto headlights failed...she would drive around in the dark lol. LOTS of people are like her...look at the identical descriptions here!

So for me this setup would be no problem, but for a vehicle that my wife drives primarily this one lack of function totally disqualifies it from my garage. When I had my RWD sedans as an example, I would never let her drive one of them in the snow...because she doesn't have the experience or skills I have driving a vehicle like that in the snow, nor does she have any interest in learning them. One of the big points of buying a vehicle like this for my family is knowing that they are always in the safest vehicle and the most capable vehicle, and not having AUTO 4WD or full time 4WD and knowing that she would never think to change the drive mode diminishes that greatly.
Almost everything in this post describes my husband and I feel the exact same way. Actually laughed about the engine braking bit...my husband has owned a few manual transmission cars and still does not understand the concept of engine braking.

Also side note- I have seen Wrangler drivers do exactly what has been mentioned in inclement weather. It's usually the Sahara buyers that just wanted something cute. And what do you know, even Jeep introduced full-time 4WD for those users.

Last edited by TangoRed; 06-09-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 09:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Almost everything in this post describes my husband and I feel the exact same way. Actually laughed about the engine braking bit...my husband has owned a few manual transmission cars and still does not understand the concept of engine braking.
Mine doesn't either, only knows a little bit about cars because of me. This is the main reason no auto 4WD is just unforgivable. Not everyone on the roads are us.

That said, it isn't a stretch to say even I might be caught off guard with that, since every 4WD vehicle I've ever owned or driven for a stretch was automatic or full time. For $80,000 no auto 4WD? Broken record but that is just insane.
Old 06-09-22, 09:44 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
toyota brought a solid rear axle knife to a rear IRS gunfight on this one, big mistake
i just read this from the prev post: Also, while the platform, including its fully-boxed frame, is derived from the Tundra, the Sequoia gets a multilink independent rear suspension with multiple options to enhance it for specific purposes.

but i also read in Car and Driver that the sequoia only comes with a solid axle (albeit multilink):
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...022-old-model/

which one is it? is the first quote wrong?
Old 06-09-22, 09:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Mine doesn't either, only knows a little bit about cars because of me. This is the main reason no auto 4WD is just unforgivable. Not everyone on the roads are us.

That said, it isn't a stretch to say even I might be caught off guard with that, since every 4WD vehicle I've ever owned or driven for a stretch was automatic or full time. For $80,000 no auto 4WD? Broken record but that is just insane.
I can the same for myself. Road conditions can change rapidly and I might not think to switch into 4WD until it's too late, or worse remember to switch back to 2WD before binding occurs. Also it's worth noting that there's speed limits to switch in and out of 4HI AND the transfer case may not complete its operations as expected which involves trouble shooting.

Old 06-09-22, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
The TRD Pro looks nice, I think they did a very good job actually, interior and everything else compared to LX600 which I think did not change that much. the white on Black looks very sharp.
I love the vehicle, my only issue is this one omission.
Old 06-09-22, 01:50 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
this point is not mentioned in most of the reviews, I dont know if they folks who are reviewing them dont know or dont care enough. The TRD pro if I remember correctly will be full time 4wd
From Toyota's press release

Sequoia will be offered in 2WD or the available part-time 4WD system on SR5, Limited, Platinum and Capstone grades. TRD Pro will be offered only in 4WD. The part-time 4WD system relies on a transfer case, controlled via a lever on the center console, to select between 2WD, 4WD high or 4WD low.
Old 06-09-22, 02:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I can the same for myself. Road conditions can change rapidly and I might not think to switch into 4WD until it's too late, or worse remember to switch back to 2WD before binding occurs. Also it's worth noting that there's speed limits to switch in and out of 4HI AND the transfer case may not complete its operations as expected which involves trouble shooting.

Right and bc that’s so easy to read when you need it, just fail all over the place. My LX has germane info about the diff, crawl control, etc right there too but it’s always in 4WD so I would never even need to look at that except to troubleshoot if a problem arose. All they need to do is just add an auto setting, that’s it.
Old 06-09-22, 04:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i just read this from the prev post: Also, while the platform, including its fully-boxed frame, is derived from the Tundra, the Sequoia gets a multilink independent rear suspension with multiple options to enhance it for specific purposes.

but i also read in Car and Driver that the sequoia only comes with a solid axle (albeit multilink):
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...022-old-model/

which one is it? is the first quote wrong?
it also doesnt help that the hybrid battery is designed to be under the rear seats like in a tundra, further pushing up the height of the floor

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/202...g-we-know.html

old sequoia (which was IRS)

new Sequoia
Old 06-09-22, 06:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it also doesnt help that the hybrid battery is designed to be under the rear seats like in a tundra, further pushing up the height of the floor

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/202...g-we-know.html

old sequoia (which was IRS)

new Sequoia
Oh god why!?!?? I love the fact I can fit 8' sections in mine
Old 06-09-22, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Doug DeMuro loves it.

Old 06-09-22, 07:17 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Doug DeMuro loves it.

https://youtu.be/7SUjbbBtkeU
He loves anything that's brand new. It doesn't matter what kind of design it is or what features it has. Lol
Old 06-10-22, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
He loves anything that's brand new. It doesn't matter what kind of design it is or what features it has. Lol
Thats not at all true. Watch his LX600 video.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia