Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 10:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

gotta force people into the hybrid for CAFE fleet average. A Ford Expedition Powerboost that you can get as long wheelbase is going to be so much better
Old 06-11-22, 12:28 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
gotta force people into the hybrid for CAFE fleet average. A Ford Expedition Powerboost that you can get as long wheelbase is going to be so much better
Why on earth would a hybrid be the only option for a Sequoia? Literally makes no sense.

I like the Armada much more. The Toyota may have a bigger screen and more power but they're certainly enough in the Nissan. I'd just go with that and pocket over 10 grand.
Old 06-11-22, 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Did anybody watch the Doug video? “Badass trucks” hidden in Morse code in the windshield dot matrix. That’s awesome!
Old 06-11-22, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Why on earth would a hybrid be the only option for a Sequoia? Literally makes no sense.

I like the Armada much more. The Toyota may have a bigger screen and more power but they're certainly enough in the Nissan. I'd just go with that and pocket over 10 grand.
And also get a 400hp V8 to enjoy. .
Old 06-11-22, 01:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by AJT123
And also get a 400hp V8 to enjoy. .
Yeah that is certainly a bonus over a V6 especially in a heavy truck.
Old 06-11-22, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Armada is so old compared to all of these vehicles. It’s ponderous and too heavy, no comparison. I’ve driven the QX80 which is the same vehicle. I wouldn’t even consider one.

Just watched Doug’s video and his video of the Yukon, the Yukon’s third row and cargo area are a revelation compared to this. Just…there had to be a better way.

So much to love but quite a few fatal flaws…would be a tough call.
Old 06-11-22, 02:41 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Armada is so old compared to all of these vehicles. It’s ponderous and too heavy, no comparison. I’ve driven the QX80 which is the same vehicle. I wouldn’t even consider one.

Just watched Doug’s video and his video of the Yukon, the Yukon’s third row and cargo area are a revelation compared to this. Just…there had to be a better way.

It may be old but that wouldn't deter me if I were in the market for one of these big giant SUV's. You know me, I don't find anything wrong with old.

Does the Yukon have a hybrid like the Sequoia? I think that's why the cargo area is the way it is.
Old 06-11-22, 03:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if you notice in the Sequoia video he does not fully fold everything to demonstrate the full cargo area like he did in the Yukon and Grand Wagonneer videos. He purposely left it out of the video. Gee I wonder why

this setup is terrible if you are a shorter person who now has to lift and reach for objects 6-8" higher than other SUVs. I can see a lot of shorter women just vetoing a vehicle choice on this just because of that.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-11-22 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 03:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Yukon

Wagoneer

expedition
Old 06-11-22, 03:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

this is what rear IRS buys you over solid rear axle. Not to mention IRS straight up rides smoother and more controlled.

Old 06-11-22, 03:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

so i guess i missed the explanation as to why the rear cargo area of the new swquoia is so bizarre. is it because it doesn't have independent rear suspension? i though irs would take up MORE room?
Old 06-11-22, 03:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i guess i missed the explanation as to why the rear cargo area of the new swquoia is so bizarre. is it because it doesn't have independent rear suspension? i though irs would take up MORE room?
solid rear axle takes up more room, pushes up the height of the floor, and theres a lot of empty wasted space to allow for the suspension travel of the solid rear axle and differential. Take a look at the picture of the suspension that was posted, look how much just dead space there is. The domestic full size SUVs have all moved away from SRA for this reason. Now throw in a battery on a floor thats already elevated because of SRA and you get this sequoia cargo space.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...nsion-details/

A live axle is a simple and durable design. They have been used for decades as the workhorse of payload and towing. But those big capabilities come with a few downsides. A live axle uses its axle housings to assist in locating the wheels. This gives the axle great strength—and it is its biggest downside, because when one wheel moves, so does the other. Independent rear suspensions don't suffer from this ride and dynamic limitation, and they also have some packaging benefits. And typically, IRSs have lower payload and towing capacities than an all-things-equal live axle (there are always exceptions).

With the new Tahoe and Suburban, GM set out to address some areas of improvement in the previous generation. The move to an IRS allows for the floor of the new model to be lowered. This 5.3-inch drop is possible because the new model doesn't need to account for the axle's complete range of motion, including the large differential. With the IRS setup, the rear differential does not move up and down with the wheels, and while the multilink setup GM went with is slightly heavier—50 to 100 pounds depending on the model, according to GM—than a stick axle, the wider range of tuning ability—which means it's better dynamically—and the packaging benefit are worth the mass penalty. The bottom line is that an IRS is more sophisticated and should improve ride and handling.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-11-22 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It may be old but that wouldn't deter me if I were in the market for one of these big giant SUV's. You know me, I don't find anything wrong with old.

Does the Yukon have a hybrid like the Sequoia? I think that's why the cargo area is the way it is.
You haven’t driven it. The issue is not it being an old design for the sake of being old, it’s that it just isn’t anywhere near as good a vehicle to drive as the more modern competitors.

Remember I bought a last year 10 year old design LS460L and a last year 7 year old design S560. I don’t have an issue with old designs as long as they stand up. The Armada doesn’t stand up, it wasn’t a great vehicle when it was new.

Yukon has in the past had a hybrid, not sure about this gen.
Old 06-11-22, 04:45 PM
xjokerz
Racer

You haven’t driven it. The issue is not it being an old design for the sake of being old, it’s that it just isn’t anywhere near as good a vehicle to drive as the more modern competitors.

Remember I bought a last year 10 year old design LS460L and a last year 7 year old design S560. I don’t have an issue with old designs as long as they stand up. The Armada doesn’t stand up, it wasn’t a great vehicle when it was new.
What is so bad about it? I think it's a great vehicle.
Old 06-11-22, 05:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Yep. In person the GMs are huge and so flexible, but in the last gen sequoia it took them till 2013 to catch up to how Toyota set it up.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia