Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 05:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
What is so bad about it? I think it's a great vehicle.
Rides very poorly and is not all that high quality.
Old 06-11-22, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

What is so bad about it? I think it's a great vehicle.
Have you driven one?

Its not a bad vehicle it’s just not a very good vehicle. Doesn’t ride very well, truckish, room isn’t very good. Performance isn’t very good. Just not much there to be impressed by, other than it being cheap.
Old 06-13-22, 07:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Folks, the Sequoia was not supposed to exist anymore. The chief engineer had to do it original ISF style to get it approved in Japan. He had to show that it can be done at a lower cost and still be competitive by using basically all Tundra parts and powertrains for it to be cost effective enough. The last Sequoia was too expensive to build and too low a volume. So all these packaging compromises and work arounds had to be made to get the vehicle onto the Tundra platform. If they only offered the V6TT, it would not have been competitive and people will not buy it. Lessons learned from the LS500 and from the complaints about the new Tundra lacking a V8 option?

So in a way, I'm glad this vehicle exists. I'm perplexed as to why the 2nd row doesnt slide back and forth, which would have helped the 3rd row space situation. Also, lack of full time AWD or option to set it to Auto. Maybe in a yr or 2 those changes will be made if enough people complain.
Old 06-13-22, 07:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Folks, the Sequoia was not supposed to exist anymore. The chief engineer had to do it original ISF style to get it approved in Japan. He had to show that it can be done at a lower cost and still be competitive by using basically all Tundra parts and powertrains for it to be cost effective enough. The last Sequoia was too expensive to build and too low a volume. So all these packaging compromises and work arounds had to be made to get the vehicle onto the Tundra platform. If they only offered the V6TT, it would not have been competitive and people will not buy it. Lessons learned from the LS500 and from the complaints about the new Tundra lacking a V8 option?

So in a way, I'm glad this vehicle exists. I'm perplexed as to why the 2nd row doesnt slide back and forth, which would have helped the 3rd row space situation. Also, lack of full time AWD or option to set it to Auto. Maybe in a yr or 2 those changes will be made if enough people complain.
Sequoyahs are everywhere. I think Toyota sold a lot of them. Maybe not like Tahoes, but I see tons of them.
Old 06-13-22, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, I don't clasp my hands and thank God Toyota for blessing me with half done efforts to vehicles that "shouldn't exist" anymore according to nobody but them.

If Toyota can't find a way to build a large SUV that is profitable when that is one of the largest segments in the entire industry, thats Toyota's fault and nobody else's. What we have here is a vehicle that has a LOT of great things going on, but a bunch of really questionable compromises that are potential fatal flaws for buyers. Brought to you by the company that scratches its head as to why making their flagship luxury sedan the longest in the segment yet also the smallest inside didn't make it successful. They are just lost in the weeds here lately...

There is NO reason why Toyota can't build a great full sized SUV free from these compromises that would be a huge competitor to the domestics.
Old 06-13-22, 08:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Brought to you by the company that scratches its head as to why making their flagship luxury sedan the longest in the segment yet also the smallest inside didn't make it successful. They are just lost in the weeds here lately...
Smaller inside than their own ES. Epic fail.

There is NO reason why Toyota can't build a great full sized SUV free from these compromises that would be a huge competitor to the domestics.
Yep.
Old 06-13-22, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Sequoyahs are everywhere. I think Toyota sold a lot of them. Maybe not like Tahoes, but I see tons of them.
they are rarer than sasquatch here in central florida.
Old 06-13-22, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they are rarer than sasquatch here in central florida.
Really rare here too but I think thats because the outgoing one was so old. I fully expect to see plenty of these new ones.
Old 06-13-22, 09:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You guys are right-- they weren't big sellers, between about 8 and 13 thousand a year. However they sold 30k the first year they came out, last gen.

I think it's just my area. I always emphasize this is a very very heavy SUV area. Tons of Sequoyah's, all over the place. I also have mentioned many times the huge amount of Land Cruisers and LXs I see around here, also WAY more than ones you all (don't) see. They are all over the place. I see anywhere between five and ten 200 series LC/LX on a normal drive around, and I drive around every day. I see more Sequoyah's than that.

https://carsalesbase.com/us-toyota-sequoia/
Old 06-13-22, 10:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as it aged it was heavly outclassed by domestic SUVs, and still going to be
Old 06-13-22, 11:39 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Definitely not a big seller nationwide but I’m sure SoCal bought majority of the Sequoia from Toyota 😆 Go for a cruise on highway 1 or PCH and you will easily spot either a stock or a BROLander built Sequoia.
California is known for pushing EVs but Toyota dominates the coastal areas for sure.

Anyways I like this new Sequoia and hoping for it to be a great successor of the legendary behemoth!
Old 06-13-22, 11:46 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry, I don't clasp my hands and thank God Toyota for blessing me with half done efforts to vehicles that "shouldn't exist" anymore according to nobody but them.

If Toyota can't find a way to build a large SUV that is profitable when that is one of the largest segments in the entire industry, thats Toyota's fault and nobody else's. What we have here is a vehicle that has a LOT of great things going on, but a bunch of really questionable compromises that are potential fatal flaws for buyers. Brought to you by the company that scratches its head as to why making their flagship luxury sedan the longest in the segment yet also the smallest inside didn't make it successful. They are just lost in the weeds here lately...

I agree, the domestics all look better than the Sequoia and I'm sure they drive better. I was impressed with the Grand Wagoneer and how nice it looks, minus my desire for minimal tech of course lol.

Toyota doesn't really offer anything noticeably better than the competition. Doesn't seem long ago that they had numerous models between Lexus and Toyota that were 1st or 2nd in their segment. Cancelling the Land Cruiser and GS didn't help and if you go further back, the FJ.

If I wanted a new vehicle, Toyota/Lexus would be out of my top 5-6 and that's sad, since I thoroughly love their older products.
Old 06-13-22, 01:42 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

so about 2 years ago I decided to switch from a larger SUV from the current family hauler LX570. I tested all the American offering and though the initial quality was great, I also looked at few used 2 years old (Cadillac Escalade/ Expedition, navigator, suburban and GMC Yukon) I didn't like how badly(quickly) they wear out. At 2 years old the leather color was fading, squeaks and rattles. I know I am being picky but these things bother me.
Space was great though much larger than our LX. Sequoia interior wasn't great so that was not even an option.
This sequoia (tad pro) looks great to me and I would seriously consider it.
I agree, the domestics all look better than the Sequoia and I'm sure they drive better. I was impressed with the Grand Wagoneer and how nice it looks, minus my desire for minimal tech of course lol.

Toyota doesn't really offer anything noticeably better than the competition. Doesn't seem long ago that they had numerous models between Lexus and Toyota that were 1st or 2nd in their segment. Cancelling the Land Cruiser and GS didn't help and if you go further back, the FJ.

If I wanted a new vehicle, Toyota/Lexus would be out of my top 5-6 and that's sad, since I thoroughly love their older products.
Old 06-13-22, 02:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 06-13-22, 06:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

The seats don't slide? Man.....keeps getting worse

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia