Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22 | 07:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Most people looking to get into a full size SUV will like the better gas mileage. The rear cargo area is a concern, but like the rest. 15 mpg just doesn’t cut it anymore for a majority of buyers.
If Someone has to worry about the gas … then they can’t afford it.

Not only is there turbo cooling equipment to worry about, now there is added EV equipment such as electric motors, wires and batteries….this stuff just adds to the failure probability. Must now live with stop start silliness. Heck, Toyota even went backwards in time by ditching the IRS set up. Throw in 300-400 extra lbs one has to live with it on a daily basis…6200lb curb weight …let’s not forget to reduce the cargo space…and finally … the removal of multi-mode 4WD (full time included in there…w a Torsen diff) for a 1980s part time system 4-5 MPG doesn’t sound worth it. I will say the rig does look great.

Originally Posted by AJT123
The 5.7 has plenty of low end torque, trust me.
an utter shame the Toyota brand no longer has V8 trucks or SUVs Just my 4R still has full time 4WD…and I think I have the largest engine in all of Toyota now. Sad that people used to cry foul about the older Toyota engines, look at how the sequoia was ruined by Toyota.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-25-22 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-25-22 | 07:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

In general, the days of going over on oil changes are over.

I could change the oil every 10,000 miles in my LS430 and go 5k over each time and I would bet my house it will still last 300k+.

With these new complex turbos you just can't put stuff like that off.

So many wires and batteries and complicated stuff. I'm glad it gets better mileage but the old one relied on simple displacement for power. Displacement doesn't fail like a turbo does. Gas will be cheap again eventually, and many owners don't care anyway.
Old 07-25-22 | 07:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So many wires and batteries and complicated stuff. I'm glad it gets better mileage but the old one relied on simple displacement for power. Displacement doesn't fail like a turbo does. Gas will be cheap again eventually, and many owners don't care anyway.
and you now have a smaller engine And primitive part time 4WD.

and many owners don't care anyway.
Did you know that the outgoing Sequoia had a hydraulic suspension just like your LX. Also had air suspension in the back.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-25-22 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-25-22 | 09:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'd shoot myself before going to full-time 4WD.

Old 07-26-22 | 04:14 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

[QUOTE=LexsCTJill;11332914]If Someone has to worry about the gas … then they can’t afford it.

That’s incorrect. Nobody I know is buying 15 mpg vehicles unless they are work trucks. The majority of consumers will appreciate better gas mileage in a large SUV. Now the Sequoia mpg is at or better compared to other brands.

Something had to be done, as the Sequoia and for that matter the Landcruiser and LX were dying on the vine. The 5.7 mpg was a big turn off. We will see how long the new engines last, but I don’t keep my cars for 20 years, so no big deal.
Old 07-26-22 | 05:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'd shoot myself before going to full-time 4WD.
Toyota went backwards to a primitive and basic 4WD system. a cheap move by Toyota.
Old 07-26-22 | 06:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mbarron37

That’s incorrect. Nobody I know is buying 15 mpg vehicles unless they are work trucks. The majority of consumers will appreciate better gas mileage in a large SUV. Now the Sequoia mpg is at or better compared to other brands.
l.
Of course they would....but the principle still applies to the new Sequoia. if someone has to worry about the fuel cost, then that someone can't afford it. This has always been the case.

Toyota even went backwards in the cargo hauling capabilities. (but kudos for more tow rating)

33 cubic feet of hauling capability has just vanished for the battery and solid axle set up. no more real fold flat

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-26-22 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-26-22 | 07:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I really dislike the "if you worry about the cost of gas then you can't afford it" comment that pops up around here every so often. Frankly, it's a bit insulting as no one on here has any idea what I or anyone else can or cannot afford.

My Tundra sucks down gas like you wouldn't believe. Thankfully it has a 38 gallon tank so at least my range on a tank is very good. But the last time I filled it up it was over $170. While I CAN afford to pay that kind of money to fill my tank, I really don't WANT to, as that's money that could be going to other things. I absolutely wish it got better mileage.

When we bought our Highlander(s), we opted to pay extra for the hybrid version. The purpose for that was two-fold, and not really about saving money at the pump (that's just a bonus). We liked the way the hybrid drivetrain performed more than we did the gas-only version (plus the hybrid had more power), and as a family car hauling young kids around, we wanted to have a longer fuel range to have less frequent stops for fuel. There are lots of reasons people may choose to go with a hybrid.

So yes, I think it's wonderful that this new Sequoia gets over 20 mpg. To me, that's just fabulous and nothing to dismiss or complain about. Hybrids are not the complex vehicles people make them out to be. A reliable engine doesn't all of a sudden become some huge maintenance risk by adding a battery and electric motor to it. I love that this new Sequoia comes with this drivetrain standard. I think it's a great looking vehicle. I don't care about the lack of full time 4WD, but have concerns over the cargo space, but I'll wait further judgement on that until I can see one in person. This could actually be a fabulous vehicle for us, especially when towing our travel trailer.
Old 07-26-22 | 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am happy you find the hybrid Sequoia appealing. But, IMO, Toyota went backwards with weight gain, a solid axle, and far less space than previously offered. 20MPG combined is not worth these shortcomings…not to mention a price hike.

the lack of full time 4WD is a serious omission on Toyotas part. …. Reminds me of a GM type of move from the 1990s… the hard part to accept is that Toyota offered the full time 4WD mode on the outgoing Sequoia….and the one before it…..but Toyota can be really cheap sometimes...so it has been deleted

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-26-22 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-22 | 09:52 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Did someone say gas mileage? I love my analog FJ...it's what brought me over to Lexus/Toyota.

Old 07-26-22 | 10:28 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I really dislike the "if you worry about the cost of gas then you can't afford it" comment that pops up around here every so often. Frankly, it's a bit insulting as no one on here has any idea what I or anyone else can or cannot afford.

My Tundra sucks down gas like you wouldn't believe. Thankfully it has a 38 gallon tank so at least my range on a tank is very good. But the last time I filled it up it was over $170. While I CAN afford to pay that kind of money to fill my tank, I really don't WANT to, as that's money that could be going to other things. I absolutely wish it got better mileage.
Gas will drop eventually by a lot, though. I used to drive the Yukon around a lot more than my LX (before we got it) which gets more or less the same MPG and the gas bill never even made me look/think twice. But yes the 5.7 sucks it down like crazy. I look at it just as the nature of the beast, and the small gas tank is annoying I will definitely say that. LC/LX needed the aux tank it got overseas.
Old 07-26-22 | 10:29 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kusala
Did someone say gas mileage? I love my analog FJ...it's what brought me over to Lexus/Toyota.

What kind of real world MPGs do these get??
Old 07-26-22 | 11:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What kind of real world MPGs do these get??
The automatic is 18MPG combined. The axle gearing on the back is far less aggressive than what Toyota offered in the Tundra or Sequoia of the last gen which is partly why the 5.7 burns so much fuel in those applications, but the experience of the V8 truly is thrilling in the Seq/Tundra...but the experience is helped by aggressive axle gearing . The FJ was a 3.91 where the Sequoia 5.7 is a monster 4:30. I think my 4Rs are 3.73 or 3.91 but I can’t recall.

the FJ manual transmission is special . It is manual transmission with full time 4WD, a Torsen centre differential, as well as lock rear rear. A true gem
Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-26-22 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-26-22 | 11:55 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Well they're not the best when it comes to gas mileage. it is the equivalent of a flying brick with a house on top of it. To be fair I have modified it to be an overland vehicle. I also live in a mountainous area.

This was my last tank: 14.6 l/100k or 16 MPG. I can get better than that but it's not a hybrid.

I'm okay with the gas mileage because this FJ is a tank. It's indestructible and goes anywhere I want it to. The engine isn't even broken in with 160,000 KM's .

Old 07-26-22 | 11:55 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The automatic is 18MPG combined. The axle gearing on the back is far less aggressive than what Toyota offered in the Tundra or Sequoia of the last gen which is partly why the 5.7 burns so much fuel in those applications, but the experience of the V8 truly is thrilling in the Seq/Tundra...but the experience is helped by aggressive axle gearing . The FJ was a 3.91 where the Sequoia 5.7 is a monster 4:30. I think my 4Rs are 3.73 or 3.91 but I can’t recall.

the FJ manual transmission is special . It is manual transmission with full time 4WD, a Torsen centre differential, as well as lock rear rear. A true gem
Spoiler

I am HORRIBLE with numbers and math and I’ve never really understood the nitty gritty with gearing, those numbers. Pretty sure the ‘08-‘15 LC/LX had good gearing because it feels great and aggressive— I’ve said that since the start.

I would think the FJ gets bad mileage because of the huge tires, 18mpg is better than I figured it would be. I do know it had a nice 237hp engine.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia