Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But a Tahoe is a superior vehicle in every way. IRS … better folding rear … more cargo … better engines. … a V8 … a diesel. AUTO 4WD. The list goes on and on.

the Toyota is a tier lower. Like no even worth comparing
No doubt, but it makes sense for the loaded Sequoia to be priced there. The markup on that model is absolutely absurd, especially when you can buy a Tahoe for MSRP. Anybody who would pay $100,000 for that is insane.
Old 03-20-23, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No doubt, but it makes sense for the loaded Sequoia to be priced there. The markup on that model is absolutely absurd, especially when you can buy a Tahoe for MSRP. Anybody who would pay $100,000 for that is insane.
Its only there at that price because of the battery. And the fuel economy rating. Take that away. It’s not a very good SUV. Toyota is banking on people going after this for the hybrid part. Big mistake.

Not really talking about ADMs.
Old 03-20-23, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its only there at that price because of the battery. And the fuel economy rating. Take that away. It’s not a very good SUV. Toyota is banking on people going after this for the hybrid part. Big mistake.

Not really talking about ADMs.
I think what they are banking on is simply selling it to Toyota faithful, and they will. Buyers will be returning buyers who wouldn't consider a Tahoe or Wagoneer out of "reliability fears"...for those buyers it really has no competition.

I don't think buyers of these vehicles care about fuel economy. I wouldn't...if I cared I wouldn't buy a vehicle like that.
Old 03-20-23, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think what they are banking on is simoly selling it to Toyota faithful, and they will..
I don’t think they will. This is a terrible effort.

You know I’m a Toyota faithful?
Old 03-20-23, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i dunno, people bought the old Sequoia and it was so ancient.

I saw a new Sequoua the other day owned by a livery company, which really surprised me. Cramped and small inside and way overpriced, doesn't make much sense for that use
Old 03-20-23, 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Deleted. …..
Old 03-20-23, 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i dunno, people bought the old Sequoia and it was so ancient.
‘That wasn’t terrible. The design was very very good. IRS, hydraulic AVS. Multi mode 4WD with full time permanent 4WD. Amazing rear seat space. Roll Down rear window. A powerful effortless V8. It just missed on the interior quality and the perception.

It didn’t actually sell that well. Very poorly compared to the first gen

Old 03-20-23, 06:40 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

‘That wasn’t terrible. The design was very very good. IRS, hydraulic AVS. Multi mode 4WD with full time permanent 4WD. Amazing rear seat space. Roll Down rear window. A powerful effortless V8. It just missed on the interior quality and the perception.

It didn’t actually sell that well. Very poorly compared to the first gen

I agree, the old Sequoia was an excellent vehicle. That engine would have no trouble going half a million miles. Won't be able to say the same for this complex thing. Same with the tranny. I don't like the odds of a 10-speed matching the durability of a 5 or 6. Then everything else that goes into the Sequoia like the space. It was hated because it didn't have a giant screen tacked on with every gizmo controlled through it or a turbo engine.

Gas mileage isn't even all that different. Real world talking, not some paper rating. Outside of tech and maybe an extra 1/5 of a second better 0-60, I really don't see where the new Sequoia is superior to the old.
Old 03-20-23, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It makes sense you would like it xjokerz because you like old cars and hate modern designs and technology. It was like a new 15 year old vehicle.

The old Sequoia was an excellent vehicle if you didn't care about your new vehicle having any design, technology, material quality, features you would find in competitive vehicles. When I buy a new vehicle, I want it to feel new and current.

Its like the 4 Runner loaner I have now, its fun but it feels like a car that was made 20 years ago. Everything about it is basically the same as my friend's 2013 4 Runner, right down to the old digital clock on the dash. Now, if that platform and capable vehicle had a modern interior with modern amenities and technology, it would be really compelling. Its dated nature just makes it something I personally could ever spend $50,000 for. The old Sequoia was the same way. 15 seconds sitting in it and I had no desire to own one.

The new Sequoia I like the looks of it, and I even like the interior, its got the tech it feels modern I would buy it except the space, ride and handling are such a disappointment. If Toyota could just put those two things together...
Old 03-20-23, 06:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It makes sense you would like it xjokerz because you like old cars and hate modern designs and technology. It was like a new 15 year old vehicle.

The old Sequoia was an excellent vehicle if you didn't care about your new vehicle having any design, technology, material quality, features you would find in competitive vehicles. When I buy a new vehicle, I want it to feel new and current.

Its like the 4 Runner loaner I have now, its fun but it feels like a car that was made 20 years ago. Everything about it is basically the same as my friend's 2013 4 Runner, right down to the old digital clock on the dash. Now, if that platform and capable vehicle had a modern interior with modern amenities and technology, it would be really compelling. Its dated nature just makes it something I personally could ever spend $50,000 for. The old Sequoia was the same way. 15 seconds sitting in it and I had no desire to own one.

The new Sequoia I like the looks of it, and I even like the interior, its got the tech it feels modern I would buy it except the space, ride and handling are such a disappointment. If Toyota could just put those two things together...
The new Sequoia lacks automatic 4WD….that is basic tech from 1990s.
Old 03-20-23, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The new Sequoia lacks automatic 4WD….that is basic tech from 1990s.
I 100% agree, thats inexcusable. It does have good infotainment and drive support tech. Thats why like I said, if they could just put it all together...
Old 03-20-23, 07:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I 100% agree, thats i..
Also lacks second row sliding seats. The outgoing model had them.

It does have good infotainment and drive support tech..
Thats fine.
Old 03-20-23, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its just not a good overall package, steps forward some places steps backwards others. That doesn't mean the previous Sequoia was a compelling option either, it wasn't. Both vehicles were designed to sell to Toyota faithful and not to compete with the others in the segment because they know their customers won't consider a vehicle that isn't a Toyota
Old 03-20-23, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

man that dealer sticker is criminal.

I think what they are banking on is simply selling it to Toyota faithful, and they will.
do you really think they'll get close to that price? might not be top trim but you can probably get an escalade for that money.

Buyers will be returning buyers who wouldn't consider a Tahoe or Wagoneer out of "reliability fears"...for those buyers it really has no competition.
I don't think buyers of these vehicles care about fuel economy. I wouldn't...if I cared I wouldn't buy a vehicle like that.
agreed.

the old sequoia, while old, i still respected as an awesome 'apocalypse' vehicle.

the new one is just terrible.
Old 03-20-23, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its just not a good overall package, steps forward some places steps backwards others. That doesn't mean the previous Sequoia was a compelling option either, it wasn't. Both vehicles were designed to sell to Toyota faithful and not to compete with the others in the segment because they know their customers won't consider a vehicle that isn't a Toyota
Its like 30 years backwards.

‘’this is just mind boggling. From the largest auto maker in the world.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia