Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23 | 07:56 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
As a former product planner and many years of working with manufacturing and sales operations, the ideas of sunroofs can be very regional and many customers are adamantly against them, while some, like you (and me) see them as premium. So it's often able to be placed on the option list.
Interesting. I have always just assumed (especially with pano roofs) that they come standard on higher trims. Didn't think of them being optional.
Old 08-08-23 | 09:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
As a former product planner and many years of working with manufacturing and sales operations, the ideas of sunroofs can be very regional and many customers are adamantly against them, while some, like you (and me) see them as premium. So it's often able to be placed on the option list.
Yep, it was an $1800 option on the Denali but I'm sure most come that way.

It's epic, the new generation of sunroofs. The panorama roof goes way back, the sunroof opens huge, and the whole shade is powered. Black headliner on top of it all. But yes, some people literally don't want them...

I know it's not new tech but it is to me, and yes....it is roomy AF in there, especially with the captain's chairs.
Old 08-08-23 | 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My only issue with panoramic roofs is that they let more noise into the cabin...
Old 08-08-23 | 11:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the only 'value' in a sunroof for me is letting heat out quickly on a hot day. other than that, i wish i could get whatever vehicle includes it without it.
Old 08-08-23 | 12:35 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the only 'value' in a sunroof for me is letting heat out quickly on a hot day. other than that, i wish i could get whatever vehicle includes it without it.
Interesting. I love the "openness" that having a sunroof provides - even if the roof itself is not open, I almost always have the shade opened to let the light in (even in August in FL!) Tesla's don't have sun roofs but I did opt for the entire glass roof and it's amazing how open everything feels with the light coming in (and it's not hot at all).
Old 08-08-23 | 02:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My only issue with panoramic roofs is that they let more noise into the cabin...
Hmm, I'll listen for that next time I have any time with it.

LC offers a sunroof right? I'm all about sunroofs. They're great when the weather is nice.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting. I love the "openness" that having a sunroof provides - even if the roof itself is not open, I almost always have the shade opened to let the light in (even in August in FL!) Tesla's don't have sun roofs but I did opt for the entire glass roof and it's amazing how open everything feels with the light coming in (and it's not hot at all).
Me too. My LS has a nice very large "Luxury car" moonroof and I enjoy the shade open as well as closed.

​​​​​​​They're also great at night.
Old 08-08-23 | 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Hmm, I'll listen for that next time I have any time with it.
They definitely do, even your regular sunroof. Listen on the highway when you close the shade and open the shade.
Old 08-08-23 | 02:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They definitely do, even your regular sunroof. Listen on the highway when you close the shade and open the shade.
Oh yeah.....
Old 08-08-23 | 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Basically I agree...although you aren't quite as firmly against them as I am. For many reasons, a sunroof is a deal-breaker for me....I don't want one at all.
Old 08-08-23 | 05:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Basically I agree...although you aren't quite as firmly against them as I am. For many reasons, a sunroof is a deal-breaker for me....I don't want one at all.
So if the perfect car you wanted had a moonroof (but nothing else you didn't want) you would pass? Why?

My stepdad never used his once I'm sure, but he wasn't "against them". They just came with the cars he bought.
Old 08-08-23 | 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So if the perfect car you wanted had a moonroof (but nothing else you didn't want) you would pass? Why?
I'm driving the perfect car for me right now (or, at least, one very-well-suited to my driving-conditions).....without a sunroof. I special-ordered it that way.
Old 08-08-23 | 05:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm driving the perfect car for me right now (or, at least, one very-well-suited to my driving-conditions).....without a sunroof. I special-ordered it that way.
Why exactly do you not like them, or are "adamant" against them? Just genuinely curious. I get it, I hate pushbutton ignition and always will just because I like nice keys and expensive feeling ignition locks.
Old 08-08-23 | 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why exactly do you not like them, or are "adamant" against them? Just genuinely curious. I get it, I hate pushbutton ignition and always will just because I like nice keys and expensive feeling ignition locks.
Several reasons....although some posters have disagreed with me in the past on the reasons. One, they cost more. Two, the housings for them, in the vehicle's ceiling, typically (but not always) take up about an extra inch of headroom, which can be important for tall people. Three, the big hole in the roof cuts out some of the roof's structural integrity...although modern computer-engineering of vehicle-frame strength has lessened that somewhat. Four, over time, they can cause squeaks, rattles, and leaks. Fifth, and perhaps this, to me, is the most important reason...if the electrics fail just as a big rainstorm is approaching, automakers, perhaps because of cost-cutting, don't provide an emergency hand-crank anymore to crank it shut like they used to.

I partly, but not totally, agree with you on the push-button ignition. I like the convenience of the push-button for most starts, but it is easier, with a key, to know when the ignition switch is in the OFF, ACC, ON, or START position at a glance....if, say, you need momentary accessory-power for the windows or other features when the engine is shut down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-23 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-08-23 | 05:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

LC offers a sunroof right? I'm all about sunroofs. They're great when the weather is nice.
assume you're talking about the lc500 not the land cruiser.

the lc offers a non-opening glass roof:

GLASS ROOF WITH SUNSHADE
For added elegance, the LC coupe is offered with a glass roof that seamlessly covers the entire top panel of the vehicle. An interior roof covering with integrated sunshade provides coverage as needed, while still providing on-demand views of the skies above.
my one has the carbon fiber roof which i love.
Old 08-08-23 | 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
i NEVER open the shade on my santa fe (which is a panoramic roof, half opening, half fixed). i see no reason to let light in.

about your tesla, you said you opted for the entire glass roof... i thought they only came that way?

as for feeling open, i'd rather it felt closed like a cockpit. if i wanted open i'd drive a van.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia