Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I like having a sunroof, I do open it from time to time but when it’s not open I leave the shade closed. I like the darkness of the interior and I like the noise suppression of the shade.

Specifically refusing to buy a car with a sunroof limits you too much when looking for cars, since almost all cars have them

So do I. Dealbreaker for me. And I can’t believe Prius and Venza and Crown all have fixed glass roofs. Even the Mirai. Such a shame.
Old 08-09-23, 07:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually incorrect. See above.
Well, he was at least right about the potential for more leaks.
Old 08-09-23, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Specifically refusing to buy a car with a sunroof limits you too much when looking for cars, since almost all cars have them
i've never refused to buy a car because it has a sunroof... every car i've bought has had one except the lc500 i have now because that's the only way it comes with the dynamic handling package.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So do I. Dealbreaker for me.
i think you're saying it's a deal breaker for you if a car does NOT have a sunroof right?
Old 08-09-23, 09:36 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

My preference is for a car without one, but I won't let the presence of a sunroof stop me from buying a car I am otherwise in love with.

My truck doesn't have a sunroof, but my Fusion and LS400 did. I do prefer less glass living in Las Vegas.
Old 08-10-23, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well, he was at least right about the potential for more leaks.
Thats true lol
Old 08-10-23, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though generally a deal-breaker for me, I'm not quite as extreme against sunroofs as this article, but the author brings up some good points:

https://www.thedrive.com/article/419...-get-a-sunroof
Old 08-10-23, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the (thread-topic) 2024 Sequoia, here's a nice video on a TRD version, with a lot of close-ups:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2024...id:kWQc5HXINtQ
Old 08-10-23, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though generally a deal-breaker for me, I'm not quite as extreme against sunroofs as this article, but the author brings up some good points:

https://www.thedrive.com/article/419...-get-a-sunroof
This article is nothing but his own opinion without any facts posted for laughs

No one actually uses a sunroof. When you buy a new car, you may try it out once or twice, and then about a week later you forget that it’s even there. If it’s raining, opening it would be insane. And if it’s hot out, it’s just a hole in the roof letting the air-conditioned atmosphere escape. If the weather is perfect, go ride a motorcycle, OK? About the only practical use of a sunroof is to monitor law enforcement helicopters tracking you.
No, HE doesn't use a sunroof. I use mine, my wife uses hers, my cousin and all of my friends use theirs. I see them open on cars all the time. Of course you would never open it when its raining...when its hot out, but its not always raining or hot out.

Go ride a motorcycle? And risk my life? Pass.

You should never cut holes in a car’s roof. The unibody structure of most vehicles is such that the roof is an integral part of its strength. Carving out an opening in it is like installing a screen door in an egg. Insanity.
Again, lack of understanding how modern cars are designed. The roof is not a structural element, the roof rails are but the roof is easily removable in a modern car and cross bracing can and is done around the sunroof. The same car with a sunroof and without has exactly the same structural rigidity

If you actually do open a sunroof, you’ve seriously screwed with the car’s aerodynamics. Suddenly laminar airflow becomes a turbulent top of additional drag. And despite desperate attempts at mitigating the sound, you’ve created a noisy vortex that almost always makes regular conversation between driver and passengers impossible.
I'm not flying a plane, I'm driving a car at 40 MPH lol. Its a meaningless difference. He would need his hearing checked because I can talk to my passengers just fine.

It’s something else that will inevitably break. And when it does, it's fiendishly expensive to fix.
I have had many old cars with sunroofs, none of them broke. 1995 Ford Explorer 20 years old with 225,000 miles, sunroof still worked fine, 2003 ES300 with 215,000 miles, 20 years old, sunroof still works fine. His logic can be extended to any electronic aid. Should cars not have power windows because they will inevitably break?

They weigh too much. Honda occasionally deletes the sunroofs from a car if the additional weight of that roof screws up EPA fuel mileage testing on the dyno. That's right, sunroofs are so heavy they can affect fuel mileage. Think somewhere between an additional 50- and 80-pounds for a normal sedan’s glass panel sunroof. Or between 120- and 200-pounds for those insane “panoramic” sunroofs you can find on luxury SUVs.
I don't think the weight will make a difference for my 5,000 lb S Class or my 4,500 lb Pacifica lol

All that weight is in exactly the wrong place—at the top of the car, where it raises the center of gravity. When was the last time you saw a racecar with a sunroof, huh?
Again, its engineered for it.

They steal headroom. That roof has to go someplace when it’s open, and that’s usually right to where the rear seat passengers keep their foreheads. So you don’t just get a sunroof, you get less utility too!
True, but for most people this is not an issue because 96.1% of people are shorter than 6'2".

They're too damn expensive. Car companies cleverly bury the cost of sunroofs in “option packages” that bundle together convenience features that often aren’t all that convenient. But Dodge does offer a sunroof as a stand-alone option on the Challenger and Charger for $1,195. So you’re paying nearly $1,200 for a hole in your roof, filled with a heavy glass panel, that makes the car worse when it’s open, and screws up the aerodynamics.
Only an issue if you believe as this guy does. I will always pay for the sunroof.
Old 08-10-23, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This article is nothing but his own opinion

That's why I said that my views, though similar, were not quite as extreme as his.

Also, keep in mind that you usually don't keep a vehicle more than the lease period (2-4 years)......I usually don't keep a vehicle more than 5. Some of the worst sunroof problems may not occur untll later in a vehicle's life....although that still doesn't mean I'd want one.
Old 08-10-23, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But I have kept vehicles far far longer than that, and know many people who do and none of them nor I have ever had an issue with a sunroof.
Old 08-11-23, 08:09 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had only used vehicles ranging from 6 years to 15 years old. I’ve never had a problem with a sunroof leaking or getting stuck. It does rattle slightly on my GS though, but if I close the shade I don’t hear it. I also take good care of my cars and don’t park them under trees.

I am very surprised to read the disdain for sunroofs on a luxury car forum where there is usually an appreciation for superfluous luxury and technology features. As for the new Sequoia I think it’s an epic fail for reasons previously mentioned.

Old 08-11-23, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

if you treat the rubber gasket around the glass with something like Sin Etsu grease it will solve the rattling...
Old 08-11-23, 01:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Why exactly do you not like them, or are "adamant" against them? Just genuinely curious. I get it, I hate pushbutton ignition and always will just because I like nice keys and expensive feeling ignition locks.
I dislike them because they are a point of failure, I never use them, they let light inside and heat up the interior as well as cause fade on trim, useless at higher speeds due to noise and reduce headroom, they also add weight and another point of electronic drain if something goes wrong.

If I used them it would maybe be different but I just don't like them and as far as getting heat out that's the only function I've found useful. Even then all windows down as you walk out to the car has the same effect so...
Old 08-11-23, 01:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i NEVER open the shade on my santa fe (which is a panoramic roof, half opening, half fixed). i see no reason to let light in.

about your tesla, you said you opted for the entire glass roof... i thought they only came that way?

as for feeling open, i'd rather it felt closed like a cockpit. if i wanted open i'd drive a van.
Agreed. I don't want an open feeling and if I do I'll drive a full on convertible or bike.
Old 08-11-23, 01:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

if you treat the rubber gasket around the glass with something like Sin Etsu grease it will solve the rattling...
That is another annoyance....you need to snake the drains, re-grease the rubber and slide rails, if you have an active controlled diffuser like on my A8s there is a motor to fail and a fine mesh net to keep cleaned and motor arms to keep lubed etc etc. Even if you don't use it all that stuff still needs to be taken care of and god help you if a drain tube cracks on a high end car.

I just did all that stuff on my new VW and fr what? I'm never going to open the roof again until next year for the next service

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia