Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 01:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
That is another annoyance....you need to snake the drains, re-grease the rubber and slide rails, if you have an active controlled diffuser like on my A8s there is a motor to fail and a fine mesh net to keep cleaned and motor arms to keep lubed etc etc. Even if you don't use it all that stuff still needs to be taken care of and god help you if a drain tube cracks on a high end car.

I just did all that stuff on my new VW and fr what? I'm never going to open the roof again until next year for the next service
I've had cars and been driving since 1998 and never had a problem with any sunroof other than a rattling on my 1st car which was a POS Ford, that I fixed. Sunroofs don't need "service" other than some grease around the rubber seal on older cars. I have never in my life heard of a "sunroof service". If you leave the car out in really harsh elements for 20 years over its life, I guess that could be different.

That said, your reasoning in your other statements I understand. Some people just don't like them, we all have all these different tastes like everyone does with food lol. I personally love them and never have owned a vehicle WITHOUT a moonroof. We have this bad *** F150 as a rental King Ranch trim and it has no sunroof and it's kind of annoying since we are on Coastal California where the beauty is breathtaking.
Old 08-11-23, 01:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I've had cars and been driving since 1998 and never had a problem with any sunroof other than a rattling on my 1st car which was a POS Ford, that I fixed. Sunroofs don't need "service" other than some grease around the rubber seal on older cars.

That said, your reasoning in your other statements I understand. Some people just don't like them, we all have all these different tastes like everyone does with food lol. I couldn't own a vehicle WITHOUT a moonroof.
You simply got lucky lol! If you have more varied weather and especially if you park under trees you need to service them or it can bite you long term.
Old 08-11-23, 01:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You simply got lucky lol! If you have more varied weather and especially if you park under trees you need to service them or it can bite you long term.
Yeah, lol I went back and edited my post but you beat me to it. Haha.
Old 08-11-23, 04:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

LOL…about that Sequoia…

Maybe we need a sunroof thread? 😁
Old 08-11-23, 06:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't believe I've even seen a new Sequoia in person yet and they've been out for almost a year.

Buyers seem to still heavily favor the GM and Ford alternatives. Even the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are killing it, and they're ridiculously expensive.
Old 08-11-23, 06:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I don't believe I've even seen a new Sequoia in person yet and they've been out for almost a year.

Buyers seem to still heavily favor the GM and Ford alternatives. Even the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are killing it, and they're ridiculously expensive.
Just an observation but I'm out in coastal CA currently, just like I remember in Los Angeles area we lived in, the huge BOF SUVs aren't roaming the roads like back home. Neither are the 1500 trucks, which makes this F150 we have all the more glorious and fun. I've seen several 100s and 200s. But this is night and day from West Knox in terms of big SUVs and pickups. Smaller, crossovers are more the norm.

BTW back in Knox I've seen several, several Sequiahs, TRD Pro and Capstones.
Old 08-11-23, 08:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've seen too many new Sequioias to count, and I love the looks of them. I just wish the interior packaging was better.
Old 08-11-23, 09:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've seen too many new Sequioias to count, and I love the looks of them. I just wish the interior packaging was better.
Agree, that and engine.

I’m hoping they can kink out the build quality issues too because the higher end ones are really nice inside.
Old 08-11-23, 09:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

haven't seen 1.
Old 08-11-23, 11:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

I've seen a few here and raced a top trim one the owner was being aggressive with, we ended up side by side at a light on the way back from Polaris up to our subdivision. Stepped away decently compared to the other cars around us.
Old 08-12-23, 06:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

That is another annoyance....you need to snake the drains, re-grease the rubber and slide rails, if you have an active controlled diffuser like on my A8s there is a motor to fail and a fine mesh net to keep cleaned and motor arms to keep lubed etc etc. Even if you don't use it all that stuff still needs to be taken care of and god help you if a drain tube cracks on a high end car.

I just did all that stuff on my new VW and fr what? I'm never going to open the roof again until next year for the next service
Yeah I’ve never done any of that. I’ve treated the rubber gaskets when I treat all the rubber gaskets and that’s it, even on cars that are 20 years old

Awful lot of us in this thread have “gotten lucky” for it to really be luck. I think in reality just none of that is really necessary.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

Ive seen several new Sequoias. Dealers here want big ADMs, which I think keeps people from buying them. Wagoneers for instance can be bought with a discount.
Old 08-12-23, 08:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ive seen several new Sequoias. Dealers here want big ADMs, which I think keeps people from buying them. Wagoneers for instance can be bought with a discount.
I never really check the details of deals of any cars but I can’t imagine it’s this way back home.

Grand Wagoneers are all over the place everywhere and Sequoias aren’t. Maybe it’s the other way around in Knox.
Old 08-12-23, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I see way more Grand Wagoneers at home too than Sequoias. I think it’s the pricing and the markups. GW is a much better value.
Old 08-12-23, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I see way more Grand Wagoneers at home too than Sequoias. I think it’s the pricing and the markups. GW is a much better value.

Probably the only reason to get a Sequoia over a GW would be the more reliable drivetrain. Otherwise, the GW beats it inside and out.
Old 08-12-23, 09:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

GW is way more expensive though, Escalade/Navi level.

Regardless Sequoyah's are way too expensive for what you get.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably the only reason to get a Sequoia over a GW would be the more reliable drivetrain. Otherwise, the GW beats it inside and out.
The Stellantis I-6 is going to be just a reliability disaster, however the gutted 6.4 pushrod Hemi was stout. But it's gone so technically I agree with you, I'd take Sequoyah engine over new GW turbo I6. 510hp shoved into 3.0 liters, lord help owners of those things especially after the miles get up there.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia