Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 11:53 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2023 Toyota Sequoia (660B)

2020 Sequoia TRD Pro 4x4

Developed under the Toyota 660B Program, not much has been said about this vehicle, but at the moment it is being prepared for launch at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas (TMMTX) and from what I can see, launch is scheduled for February of 2022.

A reveal at the Los Angeles International Auto Show is a very high likelihood, being that production should be starting around December and in dealers by February. Why do I think so?

2008 Sequoia Los Angeles International Auto Show Reveal - November 14, 2007

The outgoing model made its debut at LAIAS on November 14, 2007, before going on sale in December 2007 as a 2008 model.

TMMTX Assembly Line

The 2022 Tundra it is based on, goes on sale in January 2022. And begins production around early November 2021 at the same facility.

2022 Tacoma launch is still underway, but no deliveries have been made yet. Those will arrive in dealers in October, which are still being built by TMMTX. They are expected to shift to Toyota Motor Manufacturing Guanajuato in Mexico, to make room for 2023 Sequoia by end of November.

By VINs, all current generation Tacomas built in Texas start with 5T. For those built in the older Mexican plant in Baja, it is 3TM. For the new plant, since December 2019 and principal plant going forward for all variants, it is 3TY.
(

Last edited by Carmaker1; 01-19-22 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Good I've never liked the 2nd gen Sequoia. Way too many short cuts and cost cutting. The first gen was very popular when I was in School. It had decent build quality from what I remember.
Old 09-17-21, 12:12 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Good I've never liked the 2nd gen Sequoia. Way too many short cuts and cost cutting. The first gen was very popular when I was in School. It had decent build quality from what I remember.
Agreed. That era of Toyotas was disappointing to me from a cost-cutting perspective even though they were just as reliable as ever.
Old 09-17-21, 12:39 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

You both are right, I felt very underwhelmed seeing it all those years back and even more disappointed, how they left it untouched for another 10 years. Only decent thing inside them, were the seats.

The pre-2014 Tundra seats, were very comfortable. The 2014 MY to present, not so much.
Old 09-17-21, 02:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

how is this new one actually different? assume all new interior.
somehow they have a rwd based vehicle that looks like it has fwd proportions.

Old 09-17-21, 03:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Huh? It'll be all new. Built on the Tundra's platform, likely using the Tundra's TTV6. The current Sequoia doesn't have FWD proportions, so why do you think the new one will?
Old 09-17-21, 03:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

we dont have new one yet... it will be based on Tundra, so new platform, powertrains, interior, exterior, etc.
Old 09-17-21, 03:40 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

I am really surprised at how I apparently had to highlight the obvious, as I assumed anyone familiar enough with Lexus and premium Toyota products, would be well aware of Toyota's plans for Sequoia in relation to Tundra, seeing as we have mentioned it elsewhere on the forum the past few years.

Thanking everyone above, who reiterated the Tundra connection and RWD roots, as it feels like I didn't explain enough. Not trying to be snarky, but I really try to avoid being too verbose when I can and not restating the obvious in an overly lengthy paragraph, if no one has time to read it (TLDR)
  • I have said so many times, as have a few other members, that the Land Cruiser 300 would debut a new modular body on frame architecture and it would be called TNGA-F and at Lexus, GA-F.
  • I said this in late 2016 and this remained knowledge at LE for years to come, which I shared on here often..
  • Toyota confirmed it in May 2021. TRDFantasy said so as well, back in 2016.
  • The Lexus LX was developed under 720B, based on GA-F.
  • 2023 Sequoia was developed under 660B Program.
  • 2022 Tundra was developed under 780B Program
  • 2024 Tacoma is being developed under 920B
  • The 2024 4Runner program code I cannot recall right now.
  • Hilux will join this basis by 2024.
  • Land Cruiser Prado will as well in late 2023.
  • Next Generation 2024 GX will be on GA-F
Old 09-17-21, 06:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
‘The 2nd Gen Sequoia definitely had a tough time. Looking back, I think it ages better than it’s reception. The 1st gen Sequoia was a great design inside and out. Toyota even added air suspension in 05
Old 09-17-21, 09:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Huh? It'll be all new. Built on the Tundra's platform, likely using the Tundra's TTV6. The current Sequoia doesn't have FWD proportions, so why do you think the new one will?
sorry, thrown off by carmaker1's initial pics that i thought were the new one. And the front wheel arch to door gap is tiny, much like a fwd car.

Old 09-17-21, 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I am really surprised at how I apparently had to highlight the obvious, as I assumed anyone familiar enough with Lexus and premium Toyota products, would be well aware of Toyota's plans for Sequoia in relation to Tundra, seeing as we have mentioned it elsewhere on the forum the past few years.

Thanking everyone above, who reiterated the Tundra connection and RWD roots, as it feels like I didn't explain enough. Not trying to be snarky, but I really try to avoid being too verbose when I can and not restating the obvious in an overly lengthy paragraph, if no one has time to read it (TLDR)
Sorry we are not worthy sometimes...

Not sure why you posted all those pics of old sequioas etc. to be honest, and what 'obvious' things did you highlight and where? Besides pics there's not a whole lot in your first post, for me at least, i couldn't care less if the sequioa is related to the tundra, or platform/program numbers, etc. launch dates are good though, thanks!

Old 09-18-21, 04:15 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

sorry, thrown off by carmaker1's initial pics that i thought were the new one. And the front wheel arch to door gap is tiny, much like a fwd car.
That is just often typical of most SUVs, unlike cars that tend to have a more prominent prestige gap when RWD or longitudinal engine placement. Typically I don't include irrelevant photography, so I see what happened. These have been around for 2-4 years now, so I figured no one would misinterpret it as the new 2023 Sequoia and obviously the only existing photo reference for the Sequoia. There's no imagery of that vehicle, as Toyota wants it that way for some odd reason (not even spy shots?).

There are renderings out there, but I don't want to use them at all. Just seems cheesy and felt it might be unnecessary promotion for Car And Driver, who do not pay Internet Brand/Club Lexus bills. I take it if something is of extreme distaste to you, you are indifferent and thus understandably, unaware of it's existence. I clearly labeled each photoset very well, so I am not sure how anyone would miss "2020 Sequoia TRD Pro" and think all-new model, on new multi-billion dollar architecture. Toyota would be wacko if they tried such a thing.

From "Car And Driver"

Sorry we are not worthy sometimes...

https://youtu.be/jjaqrPpdQYc

Not sure why you posted all those pics of old sequioas etc. to be honest, and what 'obvious' things did you highlight and where? Besides pics there's not a whole lot in your first post, for me at least, i couldn't care less if the sequioa is related to the tundra, or platform/program numbers, etc. launch dates are good though, thanks!
A lot of people honestly jumped to conclusions, as clearly you know what the Sequoia is. Feeling a little too verbose, I cut a lot of text from this OP post, so it would not be insufferably too long. TLDR, is definitely a reality and as a seasoned moderator, I am sure you see how that goes with some posters like myself and others. Things are missed, because it is too much to parse through. I made the presumption, I have posted more on the Sequoia previously and thus felt sticking to the basics, is more than enough.

Also, I made this post as a generality for everyone to read and thus I include platform information, chassis and program development codes, as anyone clever enough with their keyboard, can use it to find out information on the internet by typing in "TNGA", "TNGA-F", or 660B (development code). I didn't really care much for super-skimmers, because if I did, I would only post one-liners and as you probably see now, I am terrible at summarizing.

Typically Toyota development codes are very secretive and are NEVER given out, as they are used in a linear manner to internally address program targets and suppliers during development. I will only share them with a loyal customer base, such as people on here (for personal reference purposes) and rarely elsewhere online, to somewhat still respect Toyota's privacy. Whether I use any knowledge I gather for my own competitive purposes, is a whole 'nother ballgame LOL (try to be fair/ethical).

The American automotive news media has their own access to this information too, but often play obtuse and leave it to forums like this, to find this information out for other owners, who have leases ending or aged vehicles they want to replace. I am very disappointed with how many of them "journalists" fail to gather information themselves nowadays, leaving it to Reddit or forum commentary to do their research instead.

It's so unfortunate and made me breach so many rules, on a program called U725 B***** nearly 3 years ago, where I would've been caught and prosecuted for leaking the debut of that given product well in advance.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-18-21 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Missing text
Old 09-18-21, 04:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Carmaker1, sorry for any misunderstanding and 'skimming' on my part, i am sure i speak for most on here in writing that we really appreciate anything you can share.

Old 09-18-21, 07:18 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Thumbs up

Carmaker1, sorry for any misunderstanding and 'skimming' on my part, i am sure i speak for most on here in writing that we really appreciate anything you can share.
Thanks, it's much appreciated. Sometimes my verbosity might drive folks a little crazy! Mix in a few typos, it's a chaotic wall of text LOL. However, I will try to make sure I make sense 100%, before ever hitting submit/post again
Old 09-19-21, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
However, I will try to make sure I make sense 100%, before ever hitting submit/post again
ha, use bullet points to keep it simple for some of us.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Sequoia