Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Toyota Tundra (780B)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 12:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Its not noticeable when I drive it.
Okay, maybe “hindrance” is a bad word. The car isn’t hindered. But it’s easy to catch the car off boost especially at low speeds, at least the pre ‘21 LS.

Old 09-20-21, 01:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
For me, the Tundra's "butter face" is a fatal flaw. My guess is the positive reactions here are more for the long-awaited, great, new tech, which may be clouding people's judgement and acceptance of the off-putting front fascia. Anybody who seriously likes the front-end design, please chime in and prove me wrong! A few years of sales figures will tell us more, although, admittedly, there are a lot more factors to sales than looks. I'm anxiously awaiting the on and off-road test scores and especially the MPG ratings!

BTW...the engine compartment looks completely cramped, which will be problematic for maintenance and repairs. My 2001's engine compartment is cavernous by comparison. Even if one doesn't do their own maintenance work, understand that the level of difficulty of maintenance will carry over to what one pays a shop in labor costs.
I think the front end looks great and would be one of the reasons why I would purchase one. I LOVE that it doesn't look like other trucks. It's unique and bold.
Old 09-20-21, 01:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Sloth from the Goonies is unique and bold but would you really want to look like that?
Old 09-20-21, 01:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Sloth from the Goonies is unique and bold but would you really want to look like that?
I just like the looks of the truck. Don't see what the big deal is.
Old 09-20-21, 01:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Personal opinion aside my issue is the design has almost nothing to do with function it's all about the image. There is so much wasted space and very likely hurts aerodynamics as well. That also can't be good for pedestrian collisions.
Old 09-20-21, 01:22 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Would you be buying a new full sized pickup truck anyways? I think its safe to say no...so who cares?
What's with the flippant animosity? How do you know what I would, or wouldn't, be buying? I've been looking to replace my Tundra for over six years. I test drove a 2015 and placed an offer on it, but couldn't come to terms. I decided instead to hold off until the redesign, mistakenly thinking it was imminent.

Look at full sized trucks today, the styling of this Tundra is 100% on trend. Like it or not.
Just saying...I don't like it. I've never been one to follow trends, at least without kicking and screaming!

I like it.
Duly noted! Are you in the market for a full sized pickup?
Old 09-20-21, 01:31 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think the front end looks great and would be one of the reasons why I would purchase one. I LOVE that it doesn't look like other trucks. It's unique and bold.
Interesting. Some think the look is "on trend" with the big-three, while you think it is unique. Not that their is anything wrong with this as there will always be differences of opinions regarding aesthetics. It's just interesting to me that these observations are diametrically opposed.
Old 09-20-21, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Okay, maybe “hindrance” is a bad word. The car isn’t hindered. But it’s easy to catch the car off boost especially at low speeds, at least the pre ‘21 LS.
Maybe if you're trying to catch it off boost, but I drove the Pre 21 LS extensively, for easily 200 miles and I never felt any sort of turbo lag.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Personal opinion aside my issue is the design has almost nothing to do with function it's all about the image. There is so much wasted space and very likely hurts aerodynamics as well. That also can't be good for pedestrian collisions.
Have you seen all the other trucks? What you describe describes all trucks.

What's with the flippant animosity? How do you know what I would, or wouldn't, be buying? I've been looking to replace my Tundra for over six years. I test drove a 2015 and placed an offer on it, but couldn't come to terms. I decided instead to hold off until the redesign, mistakenly thinking it was imminent.
No animosity, but there are a ton of people here that pass their opinion on as fact when they aren't consumers for the vehicle in question in the first place.

Just saying...I don't like it. I've never been one to follow trends, at least without kicking and screaming!
You don't have to like it, just don't say its a "failure" because YOU don't like it. Other people do like it.

No, but I haven't made declarative statements of fact about it either.

Interesting. Some think the look is "on trend" with the big-three, while you think it is unique. Not that their is anything wrong with this as there will always be differences of opinions regarding aesthetics. It's just interesting to me that these observations are diametrically opposed.
They aren't opposed, I said the same thing. The look is on trend, but it looks like a Toyota and it has its own look relative to the competition. In trucks, each truck has its own look, you would never confuse a Silverado for an F150 or a Ram, and this Tundra is no different.
Old 09-20-21, 01:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Differences of opinion, I guess. To me it's quite a departure from the big three when it comes to styling. It has a much more squared off look, especially compared to the RAM. The side profile of the Tundra seems very square and I like that as well.

I will definitely be putting one of these in my driveway, though I'll wait 3-4 years I think. I am happy with my Tundra so I won't be ready to part with it for a while.
Old 09-20-21, 02:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Differences of opinion, I guess.
And here I come with another opinion no one asked for. All pickup trucks by design are ugly as hell. Trying to make them look overly rugged is all for the worse to my eye. Tundra is no exception to me.

Not finding anything on the feature/spec sheet that wows me either. Everything has already been done by Ford/GM/Ram in this space. They arent really bringing anything new or innovative here honestly. Just playing catchup to get blown away again once the new gen of the Big 3 come in 3-5 years time. But hey, its a Toyota so I guess that's cool.
Old 09-20-21, 02:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

This version definitely plays catch up in terms of features and I do agree it doesn't really pull ahead in "wow features," though I do find the hybrid drive pretty interesting. I am looking forward to trying one out for myself.

Overall, I don't know that the Tundra was really able steal away many customers from the big three, but rather it became a way for Tacoma owners who want to step up into a full size to stay in the brand. In this, I think this new Tundra will do at least as well as its predecessor.

Last edited by JDR76; 09-20-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 03:31 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

No animosity, but there are a ton of people here that pass their opinion on as fact when they aren't consumers for the vehicle in question in the first place.
You don't see the animosity in this from your previous post?
Would you be buying a new full sized pickup truck anyways? I think its safe to say no...so who cares? Look at full sized trucks today, the styling of this Tundra is 100% on trend. Like it or not.
Aren't you implying I'm one of the "ton of people here that pass their opinion on as fact when they aren't consumers for the vehicle in question in the first place?" I said in my previous post that I'm in the market. Do you not believe me?

You don't have to like it, just don't say its a "failure" because YOU don't like it. Other people do like it.
I did not say it was a "failure," I didn't even imply that it is...it hasn't even come out yet! All I said was future sales figures will be a partial measure. Some like it, some don't...no big.

No, but I haven't made declarative statements of fact about it either.
Are we not allowed to state our opinions on CL without being castigated for being "declarative?" If you are referring to my expressing my opinion that the front end design is a "fatal flaw," I already amended that statement with your suggested, "for me" qualifier. Regardless, if you think I'm making "declarative statements of facts," you're "reading into them. They're just opinions, like everyone else's.

They aren't opposed, I said the same thing. The look is on trend, but it looks like a Toyota and it has its own look relative to the competition. In trucks, each truck has its own look, you would never confuse a Silverado for an F150 or a Ram, and this Tundra is no different.
Yes, I would not confuse any of the pickup designs. However, I've been reading posts for years about Toyota following the big three in the evolution of the "big, in your face," front end design. "Trendy" implies "not unique," to me. Sure, they have to be unique in the details, they'd step on infringement laws otherwise.
Old 09-20-21, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

I did not say it was a "failure," I didn't even imply that it is...it hasn't even come out yet! All I said was future sales figures will be a partial measure. Some like it, some don't...no big.

Are we not allowed to state our opinions on CL without being castigated for being "declarative?" If you are referring to my expressing my opinion that the front end design is a "fatal flaw," I already amended that statement with your suggested, "for me" qualifier. Regardless, if you think I'm making "declarative statements of facts," you're "reading into them. They're just opinions, like everyone else's.
Come on. You went so far as to ask "if anybody likes this post that you do" with the expectation that nobody would post that they do. Saying you don't like something and saying that the styling is a "fatal flaw" are two different things. When you say something is "fatal" that means its dead, as in it will be a failure.

I certainly see why someone would think this is ugly, but I see why someone would say EVERY truck is ugly. This is no "uglier" to me than a Silverado, and they have their following and sell great. It fits in with what its competitors look like.

Aren't you implying I'm one of the "ton of people here that pass their opinion on as fact when they aren't consumers for the vehicle in question in the first place?" I said in my previous post that I'm in the market. Do you not believe me?
I certainly assumed based on conversations we've had in the past about you driving older cars and not wanting to buy expensive newer cars that you wouldn't be in the market for a $50k+ new truck, no. If thats not the case then I apologize.
Old 09-20-21, 05:36 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Looks like they benchmarked the Powerboost with those #'s on the hybrid. Both just barely eclipse the current numbers from Ford. Though just like 2007, the Tundra will lead the power numbers for a couple years and then fall behind for 10.

I like the interior a lot. The exterior is hideous. Grille is just a bit too much and there's way too much going on on the sides. A truck should be a fairly simple box IMO.
FYI, there's a funny connection and knowing more about the P702 (aka 2021 F-150) a huge deal inside-out, much more than the Tundra, hopefully things explains a lot for you. (Powerboost and iForce Max are like two brothers separated at birth.)

https://forbes.com/sites/altheachang...smaller%20car.

https://www.industryweek.com/innovat...evelop-hybrids

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a18819...ybrid-pickups/

Toyota did their own thing here and pretty much compared this truck to the competition, but did nothing derivative in this segment.

Originally Posted by situman
Why the "MAX" powertrain wasnt already in any of the Lexus products is beyond me. I hope Lexus products get more than this.
It's unfortunate timing and poorly thought out product planning. The V35A-FTS 3.4L TTV6 engine was on the table in 2012-13 for the XF50 LS, when in development under 200B Program. At the time however, Toyota was more focused on developing this TTV6 hybrid instead for pickups with Ford and not so much for Lexus.

This powertrain was probably meant for the Land Cruiser 300 initially and Lexus LX, but for some odd reason, Tundra is coming out first. Everything is about 12 to 18 months behind on these vehicles. IForce Max was intended to arrive 11 months ago for 2021 and mid-way through MY 2022.

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Overall, I like it. I am not a truck person, but hope all this makes it to the new Sequoia that I am interested in. Only gripe, is that Toyota needs to make more frequent updates, but that is just my opinion.
The Sequoia should be out in January or February, so a debut or a teaser of it, is probably coming up very, very soon. Maybe after initial fanfare for Tundra dies down.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I really like both the interior and exterior. Crazy to think it took 14 years for a new one
Toyoda was very, very sour about the plant in Texas when he became CEO in June 2009, as it wasn't profitable with the low Tundra sales. In response, everything about Tundra was put on the backburner I imagine and studying the 2009 F-150, it made more sense to do a similar facelift too in 2013 and call it a "redesign".

This will happen with the next generation Camry, coming up in a bit. Same basis, just new interior and moderately redesigned exterior.

I don't believe Toyota committed to developing an all-new Tundra until around 2015 and earmarked it for 2021 MY, developing another refresh for 2018 MY to pass the time.

Toyoda and co. wanted to pile up that revenue until it became pure profit to sit on, before committing to it. Not to mention, TNGA-F wasn't initiated until about 2013ish for the Land Cruiser 300 (700B). They fact that they sat on it such a long time, ended up becoming a problem by 2019, when everything on TNGA-F due in late 2020, 2021, and 2022, fell behind by 1 year or more in a horrible domino effect due to teething issues.

They could've avoided this, but felt that they had ample time to wait and that loyal sales wouldn't abate, so they could keep delaying and delaying as they saw fit. Then they started playing catch up to meet, the new deadline of December 2021 launch.

Originally Posted by AJT123
You're right most likely. I'd also like at least SOME legit information on the new LX, too.

I just want to know how they like this V6tt.
Maybe that should be coming in a few months hopefully, in parallel to new Sequoia.

Seeing the many positive reactions to it here, hard to say its a "fatal flaw"

And looks wise, it has the big bold
look that is obviously popular with trucks, but it looks like a Toyota. Win IMO.

I also felt no turbo lag in LS500s I drove.
Very much agreed, even as a Ford guy, the design is just fine. The over the top criticisms I keep seeing elsewhere in certain circles, is just some folks crying for attention and fishing for likes. Like a class clown. It looks like a bigger Tacoma, which is what Toyota intended. Another thing I keep seeing, is the ignorant implication that Toyota copied GM. There are a few things maybe from the previous generation F-150, but everything else is not from pickups at all.

Will it outperform the F-150? Heck no and I am confident in that, for obvious reasons lol. And it's why, I don't mind Toyota getting some shine here.

Would you be buying a new full sized pickup truck anyways? I think its safe to say no...so who cares? Look at full sized trucks today, the styling of this Tundra is 100% on trend. Like it or not.

I like it.
Indeed it is, as this is what a lot of customers want. The BOLD and BRASH look is in and it's often polarizing. You either hate it or you like it. This ain't no T100 XL LOL.

With how long the wait has been and was undefined prior to 2017, this is understandable.

Originally Posted by GFerg
And here I come with another opinion no one asked for. All pickup trucks by design are ugly as hell. Trying to make them look overly rugged is all for the worse to my eye. Tundra is no exception to me.

Not finding anything on the feature/spec sheet that wows me either. Everything has already been done by Ford/GM/Ram in this space. They arent really bringing anything new or innovative here honestly. Just playing catchup to get blown away again once the new gen of the Big 3 come in 3-5 years time. But hey, its a Toyota so I guess that's cool.
It is up to Toyota counteract that recurring phenomenon going forward, as there is no reason why it should remain unchanged beyond 2029 and not see necessary improvements by 2025, to keep it relevant. Titan is bound for death, IIRC. No more further development.

This version definitely plays catch up in terms of features and I do agree it doesn't really pull ahead in "wow features," though I do find the hybrid drive pretty interesting. I am looking forward to trying one out for myself.

Overall, I don't know that the Tundra was really able steal away many customers from the big three, but rather it became a way for Tacoma owners who want to step up into a full size to stay in the brand. In this, I think this new Tundra will do at least as well as its predecessor.
Yes, this is what I see. It was designed to appeal to Tacoma customers as much as possible, judging by the similarities to the Tacoma and its evolutionary predecessor. Reminds me of the old relationship between T100 and Pickup (Hilux).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-20-21 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 05:50 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow really impressive ! I think it looks fantastic inside & out.

Quick Reply: 2022 Toyota Tundra (780B)