Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Toyota Tundra (780B)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 05:58 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So with the tundra (and other upcoming Toyota BOF trucks) sharing platforms with the new 300 series land cruiser, does that mean the same rigorous testing and quality control the LC is known for will trickle down to each model? In the past Toyota always designed the LC to have an extended life expectancy compared to other vehicles, is this still the case? I wasn’t sure if each model based on the TNGA-F will get this same attention to detail and longevity that the LC has always had.
Old 09-20-21, 06:17 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

All i can see
Old 09-20-21, 06:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Wow really impressive ! I think it looks fantastic inside & out.
Yeah…interior reviews are coming out. The quality is sensational.
Old 09-20-21, 07:42 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
So with the tundra (and other upcoming Toyota BOF trucks) sharing platforms with the new 300 series land cruiser, does that mean the same rigorous testing and quality control the LC is known for will trickle down to each model? In the past Toyota always designed the LC to have an extended life expectancy compared to other vehicles, is this still the case? I wasn’t sure if each model based on the TNGA-F will get this same attention to detail and longevity that the LC has always had.
That's a very big question. The modularity of TNGA-F allows for a lot differentiation, so it remains to be seen. So far, there are many Land Cruiser owners angry about the new 300 and also the Tundra goodies.
Old 09-20-21, 08:21 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
That's a very big question. The modularity of TNGA-F allows for a lot differentiation, so it remains to be seen. So far, there are many Land Cruiser owners angry about the new 300 and also the Tundra goodies.
thanks for the response! Only time will tell I suppose. So far I really like what I see inside and out. Looking forward to the performance and mpg specs. I’m assuming the sequoia will take a lot of styling cues inside and out from the new tundra which will be intriguing to me.

Another area I’m curious about is how Toyota prices the tundra. Their “Base” motor is much more powerful than some of the domestics base offerings. Will they still remain competitive or charge accordingly?? If you price out the current 2021 tundra to a 2021 Ford, there is a substantial difference in cost.
Old 09-21-21, 09:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I feel like they introduced the IForce Max powertrain in the Tundra first, so as to work out the last teething kinks in that powertrain before releasing it as a mainstream powertrain in Lexus' RWD models. It will probably be in a higher state of tune in the Lexus applications.
Old 09-21-21, 09:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

All i can see
lol

That is one heck of a snow pusher.
Old 09-21-21, 10:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Tundra now shares Land Cruiser platform according to Motor Trend or Car and Driver, can’t remember which one.
Old 09-21-21, 12:20 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
thanks for the response! Only time will tell I suppose. So far I really like what I see inside and out. Looking forward to the performance and mpg specs. I’m assuming the sequoia will take a lot of styling cues inside and out from the new tundra which will be intriguing to me.

Another area I’m curious about is how Toyota prices the tundra. Their “Base” motor is much more powerful than some of the domestics base offerings. Will they still remain competitive or charge accordingly?? If you price out the current 2021 tundra to a 2021 Ford, there is a substantial difference in cost.
I doubt Toyota is going to try to match the base work truck type configurations that the Detroit 3 offer. But if you compare a F-150 with the same cab, and loaded with the 3.5 EcoBoost (which is a $2,600 option on an XL) then I would guess you'd see the comparability there. They're likely not going to try to price the Tundra with the turbo V6 against the base F-150 with 3.3 V6 option.

Toyota is more capacity constrained than the Detroit 3. so even with a fairly rich mix of mostly CrewMax and all Turbos, they can probably sell every one they build without needing to churn out a ton of SR's etc.
Old 09-21-21, 01:12 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Come on. You went so far as to ask "if anybody likes this post that you do" with the expectation that nobody would post that they do.
First, I didn't ask, "if anybody likes this post that you do." (not even sure what that means). But second, how do you know what my expectations were? I honestly wanted to hear from people who like the front fascia, and I did. There is no need to "read into it," or misquote me.

Saying you don't like something and saying that the styling is a "fatal flaw" are two different things. When you say something is "fatal" that means its dead, as in it will be a failure.
Since you had already expressed an issue with this, I amended my statement with your obligatory qualifier, "for me." Again, it is a fatal flaw for me! Please stop reading into my posts. I don't want the new Tundra to be a failure. I'm a Toyota/Lexus fan. I simply want Toyota be better.

I certainly assumed based on conversations we've had in the past about you driving older cars and not wanting to buy expensive newer cars that you wouldn't be in the market for a $50k+ new truck, no. If thats not the case then I apologize.
Apology accepted. Not sure where this is coming from. You know I'm in the market for a $55K 7ES, or the like, and I have been posting for a long time in the "new Tundra" threads about wanting to replace my 2001 Tundra after the redesign, so, not sure why you are skeptical. My original Tundra kicks butt, so Toyota needs to make the new design equally great to motivate me to upgrade. Thus far, the jury is out (for me)!
Old 09-21-21, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
First, I didn't ask, "if anybody likes this post that you do." (not even sure what that means). But second, how do you know what my expectations were? I honestly wanted to hear from people who like the front fascia, and I did. There is no need to "read into it," or misquote me.
This is what you said:

My guess is the positive reactions here are more for the long-awaited, great, new tech, which may be clouding people's judgement and acceptance of the off-putting front fascia. Anybody who seriously likes the front-end design, please chime in and prove me wrong!

In the first sentence you said people who have positive reactions don't actually have that reaction they are just clouded by the long awaited new tech and it blinds them to the "off putting" (a declaritive statement) front end. Then you asked if anybody "seriously" liked the front end chime in. Not at all a stretch to assume that your assumption was nobody actually liked the front end...because that's exactly what you said.
Old 09-21-21, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Tundra now shares Land Cruiser platform according to Motor Trend or Car and Driver, can’t remember which one.
‘Yes. Connected. The new 4R and Taco will be aligned with the new Hilux. It’s the smart. This new 4R is like a Land Cruiser but with a bed
Old 09-21-21, 03:10 PM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Did not go through all the comments, but I think it is a badass looking truck!
Old 09-21-21, 03:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

wanting to replace my 2001 Tundra after the redesign, so, not sure why you are skeptical. My original Tundra kicks butt, so Toyota needs to make the new design equally great to motivate me to upgrade. Thus far, the jury is out (for me)!
Keep the old one for sure, or I would if it were me.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘Yes. Connected. The new 4R and Taco will be aligned with the new Hilux. It’s the smart. This new 4R is like a Land Cruiser but with a bed
I’m 95% sure it said Tundra shares the platform. That makes the LC less special. By no means is a Sequoyah or Tundra not a ridiculously stout truck, but LC platform is even better and stouter, or it was until the 300.
Old 09-21-21, 03:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Keep the old one for sure, or I would if it were me.

I’m 95% sure it said Tundra shares the platform. That makes the LC less special. By no means is a Sequoyah or Tundra not a ridiculously stout truck, but LC platform is even better and stouter, or it was until the 300.
‘I don’t disagree with you. But if Toyota wants the tundra or sequoyah to succeed, they need to blend it in with the new LC

Quick Reply: 2022 Toyota Tundra (780B)