Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

chip shortage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 06:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The issue is that other large fabs that do produce on older nodes are also in China like SMIC. Ti is mostly analog chips so they produce their own designs and aren't digital chips like TSMC makes and IBM divested their fabs which became Global Foundries which is a 2nd tier fab. The Other humongous fab besides TSMC is now Samsung but they produce mostly for the worlds consumer electronics like smartphones. Smartphone chips are way more profitable too so understandable that auto chips play second fiddle.
Yep, I totally forgot about Samsung since I'm so used to associating them with high end Vram and storage media for phones and PCs. I have them mentally in a whole different camp than car chips
Old 09-21-21, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I would never attempt to make you change your mind about Elon Musk your views on him and his companies is crystal clear.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Fine...you win. Elon is completely stupid for not predicting a chip shortage and not inventing technology that can circumvent the the modern integrated circuit. His genius credentials are now officially revoked
Come on, guys....get real. I don't hate the man. I don't hate anybody. Yes, I think he is stubborn, eccentric, quirky, often acts in a strange manner, and I'm not sure I would want to work for him. But if he is as smart as you guys seem to think he is, and can come up with ways to help send civilians in private industry to the moon, then maybe he can come up with a more foolproof way to produce computer chips. After all, he heads a company that actually uses a fair number of them.
Old 09-21-21, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
........and, if Musk is so brilliant, why can't he develop a system for Tesla to produce its own chips?
Originally Posted by Och
As much as I don't like some of Elons tactics, I won't be surprised if he pull off building a US based chip fab plant. Surely, he won't have a shortage of investors.
chips are not lego bricks, they are etched pieces of silicon made at microscopic scale and tolerances and a typical fab plant takes billions and 5-10 years to build and get running. so any 'brilliance' or 'system' elon musk may think of isn't happening any time soon.

But if he is as smart as you guys seem to think he is, and can come up with ways to help send civilians in private industry to the moon, then maybe he can come up with a more foolproof way to produce computer chips.
no idea what you mean by 'more foolproof way to produce computer chips' unless you just mean a way to produce them that doesn't rely on other companies, if so, see above, ain't happening any time soon.

After all, he heads a company that actually uses a fair number of them.
i use a fair number of electronic devices but that doesn't mean i can make them.
Old 09-21-21, 08:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Yes, I think he is stubborn, eccentric, quirky, often acts in a strange manner, and I'm not sure I would want to work for him.
Elon Musk is autistic I suspect those are the mannerisms and behaviour you don't particularly like.
Old 09-21-21, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just wondering why, if it's over a year out, why can't car companies design new or repurpose other chips to do what they need? i get that cost is an issue, but heck, apple and google can bring out new phones every year with new custom chips. why do car companies have to just say 'oh well, we'll wait over a year to get the same old chips we've been using for years'... there's got to be some degree of workarounds.

one thing we know is elon musk is demanding and creative... i doubt he'd blame a chip shortage for his spaceships (granted much lower production volume!) - i just have a sense he's going to outflank other traditional makers who are moribund and stuck with huge complex supply chains.
who says car companies are asking for the same "old" chips every year? one thing to keep in mind is production cycle. stuff like phones the production cycle is relatively quick and short, still i can tell you that the iphone 13 that is coming out in weeks, it was designed probably 2 years ago, all parts confirmed and sourced last year, and went through a year (or more) of testing and qualification.

when it comes to automotive industry, due to safety concern, qualification cycle is far longer than phones. from the time they design the system and confirm on choices of chips, it will be at least 4-5 years to go through all the qualifications before those systems are actually used in production vehicles that run on the streets. there is no workaround, they can't risk changing something and rush to the market without going through the whole qualification process again. if anything happens out there, it's crap load of problems for them.

so yes, all the cars you see out there, the systems in there were designed 5 years ago. that goes for mb, bmw, toyota, etc... tesla is no exception either.

........and, if Musk is so brilliant, why can't he develop a system for Tesla to produce its own chips?
you clearly have absolutely no idea about IC chips manufacturing, i suggest you read up on this instead of throwing out random claims. this has nothing to do with whether must is brilliant or not. he is super smart but some stuff simply takes time. tsmc is the world's biggest and most advanced chip manufacturing company and they are at full capacity. they are building new fab in arizona and still it will take time to build the damn place let alone get it into production. what can elon possibly do? collect infinity stones and snap his fingers?
Old 09-21-21, 10:06 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you clearly have absolutely no idea about IC chips manufacturing, i suggest you read up on this instead of throwing out random claims. this has nothing to do with whether must is brilliant or not. he is super smart but some stuff simply takes time. tsmc is the world's biggest and most advanced chip manufacturing company and they are at full capacity. they are building new fab in arizona and still it will take time to build the damn place let alone get it into production. what can elon possibly do? collect infinity stones and snap his fingers?
This was great, thanks Rominl. 👍
Old 09-21-21, 10:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
y i suggest you read up on this instead of throwing out random claims. this has nothing to do with whether must is brilliant or not. he is super smart but some stuff simply takes time.
Well, I never said it didn't. And, again, I'm not the one trying to prove either his intelligence or non-intelligence level...that comes from other posters.

you clearly have absolutely no idea about IC chips manufacturing,

........and you do?
Old 09-21-21, 10:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Elon Musk is autistic
Its actually a (related) condition called Asperger Syndrome.
Old 09-21-21, 10:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I'm aware. I had a very long running bet with a friend (10 years!) and Elon on SNL confirmed it.
Old 09-21-21, 11:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Well, I never said it didn't. And, again, I'm not the one trying to prove either his intelligence or non-intelligence level...that comes from other posters.

........and you do?
What he says is absolutely true and I've worked in the silicon industry for over 15 years so yeah, I absolutely do. IC manufacturing is the most complex manufacturing process ever created and the newest fabs cost about $40B to make. Elon is a genius in many respects such as business and rockets and EVs but that doesn't make him capable of semi manufacturing as that isn't even in his field. To even suggest he can magically circumvent the integrated circuit sounds pretty naive.
Old 09-21-21, 11:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

FABs have insane levels of tech, they are getting close to atom scale lithography. What blows my mind is a die can be made having billions of transistors with essentially zero defects. The industry went the opposite of what many predicted, wasn't long ago it was thought Intel's fabrication superiority could never be surpassed and having your own FABs was the only way to stay on top. AMD eventually surpassed Intel using TSMC, bet you didn't see that one coming 10 years ago.

Will we see a companies start to vertically integrate via their own chip plants? Never say never but not even Apple with their near unlimited resources is doing it. BTW TSMC has a market cap 3x of Intel.

It is very concerning from a national security standpoint that so much silicon comes out of China.
Old 09-21-21, 11:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It is very concerning from a national security standpoint that so much silicon comes out of China.
Agreed....but there are reasons for the disparity. Part of it is the much lower level of regulations there, which doesn't affect their economy as much as it does here. And, part, of course, is simply the amount of silicon available as a natural resource....you can't mine or produce what is not there.
Old 09-21-21, 11:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

FABs have insane levels of tech, they are getting close to atom scale lithography. What blows my mind is a die can be made having billions of transistors with essentially zero defects. The industry went the opposite of what many predicted, wasn't long ago it was thought Intel's fabrication superiority could never be surpassed and having your own FABs was the only way to stay on top. AMD eventually surpassed Intel using TSMC, bet you didn't see that one coming 10 years ago.

Will we see a companies start to vertically integrate via their own chip plants? Never say never but not even Apple with their near unlimited resources is doing it. BTW TSMC has a market cap 3x of Intel.

TSMC is not Chinese. China does want to conquer them though
Old 09-21-21, 11:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed....but there are reasons for the disparity. Part of it is the much lower level of regulations there, which doesn't affect their economy as much as it does here. And, part, of course, is simply the amount of silicon available as a natural resource....you can't mine or produce what is not there.
What? Silicon is the 2nd most abundant element on the Earth's crust surpassed only by Oxygen. its also ridiculously easy to mine. Its not the bottleneck in any shape or form in the chips shortage. lol
Old 09-21-21, 11:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
TSMC is not Chinese. China does want to conquer them though
I know, but I don't think it will stay that way for long unfortunately.

I can remember long enough to when TSMC actually sucked they were way behind even AMD's fab. "Real men have fabs" remember that? Or maybe not that was a very long time ago. Back on topic I don't see how Tesla could justify owning their own fab, maybe in 10 years when they are the biggest company on earth.

Quick Reply: chip shortage