Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

chip shortage

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Just lost my job of 33 years today due to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage
Sorry to hear....my brother in North Carolina lost his very good pharma job after 29 years...they offshored it to Costa Rica
Old 10-01-21, 12:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Now there is apparently a shortage of copper foil used in making circuit boards, lol. We're in it until at least 2025.
Old 10-01-21, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sorry to hear....my brother in North Carolina lost his very good pharma job after 29 years...they offshored it to Costa Rica
sorry to hear. what did he do that could be off shored?
Old 10-01-21, 12:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sorry to hear. what did he do that could be off shored?
He was a chemist, for a pharmaceutical company. I’m not exactly sure what he did or if he still did the chemistry part.
Old 10-01-21, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Just lost my job of 33 years today due to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage
i am really sorry to hear that

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, they have done it primarily for cost and easier supply chain (ironically) and sure, 'tried and true' but still, if there's no reason for those chips to be replaced, they haven't been.

to refute the defense of staying with old chips, i present: NASA vs. SpaceX.

the NASA space program has stayed with tried and true for decade. the space shuttle used ARCHAIC technology, but hey, it was tried and true, right?

here's the space shuttle and spacex dragon cockpits.

if smart people hadn't realized it was time for NASA to keep the dinosaurs on the ground and let more nimble companies have a go, we'd still be using that ancient tech.

meanwhile, boeing is proof that archaic is still around since they can't get their space program going. they seem to be getting further and further behind spacex. and i bet spacex isn't using old chips.

i'm very sorry to hear this! were you in sales, or manufacturing, or what?
definitely not saying it's a smart move, just explain why and how. it's always about cost, that's the biggest factor. going with newer solutions involve risks and cost in testing and qualifying, why do that when there is a cheaper proven solution? another way to think about it, if it's not pandemic, the "model" has worked very well for the past years so they had very little incentives to change.

but like i said, when it comes to the real brain of the system, all manufacturers have made a lot of moves the past couple of years. almost all of them are on much more recent tech and they are doing tons of testing and development. still it's going to be few years before that hits customers

Old 10-03-21, 05:12 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default .....

I started as a regular mold press machine operator back in the late 80's y quickly moved up to become a pocket leader, moved up again as a floor manager, then moved up to R&D. I was then asked to do sales management and did that for the last 20 years. The company started to die a slow death due to Covid-19 and the chip shortage was just the last strike.
I was asked to help out the floor the last 8 months and the company simply did not survived as we had little sales.

By the way our business was 85% automotive. We manufactured all the thermal acoustical parts that goes on vehicles.....things like hood insulators, dash, tunnel, doors etc....the rest of our business was architectural, ceiling tiles, wall panels, ceiling diffusers etc....
Molded Acoustical Products

i'm very sorry to hear this! were you in sales, or manufacturing, or what?

Last edited by 5gears-IS; 10-03-21 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 05:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I started as a regular mold press machine operator back in the late 80's y quickly moved up to become a pocket leader, moved up again as a floor manager, then moved up to R&D. I was then asked to do sales management and did that for the last 20 years. The company started to die a slow death due to Covid-19 and the chip shortage was just the last strike.
I was asked to help out the floor the last 8 months and the company simply did not survived as we had little sales.

By the way our business was 85% automotive. We manufactured all the thermal acoustical parts that goes on vehicles.....things like hood insulators, dash, tunnel, doors etc....the rest of our business was architectural, ceiling tiles, wall panels, ceiling diffusers etc....
This is horrible, a lot of businesses are suffering from this nonsense. Weird times.
Old 10-05-21, 12:52 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

As noted on how Tesla handled the chip shortage:

“Our team has demonstrated an unparalleled ability to react quickly and mitigate disruptions to manufacturing caused by semiconductor shortages. Our electrical and firmware engineering teams remain hard at work designing, developing and validating 19 new variants of controllers in response to ongoing semiconductor shortages.”
Old 10-05-21, 12:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
As noted on how Tesla handled the chip shortage:

“Our team has demonstrated an unparalleled ability to react quickly and mitigate disruptions to manufacturing caused by semiconductor shortages. Our electrical and firmware engineering teams remain hard at work designing, developing and validating 19 new variants of controllers in response to ongoing semiconductor shortages.”
It doesn't say anything about fabricating those chips, and that's what's causing the shortages.
Old 10-05-21, 01:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It doesn't say anything about fabricating those chips, and that's what's causing the shortages.
Yes but they are able to change chip vendors or chip parts easily because they are able to code new firmware changes to their systems. Other manufacturers have a hard time with this.
Old 10-05-21, 01:33 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 543 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Wafer fabrication makes bare chips. By themselves, the chips can do nothing. Like a laptop computer without an operating system or apps.
Tesla is a vertically integrated technology company. They are the only car manufacturer that programs its own chips.
This gives them the ability to reuse and repurpose chips. Tesla has managed the semiconductor and supply chain issues better than other companies.
Old 10-05-21, 10:41 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wafer fabrication makes bare chips. By themselves, the chips can do nothing. Like a laptop computer without an operating system or apps.
Tesla is a vertically integrated technology company. They are the only car manufacturer that programs its own chips.
This gives them the ability to reuse and repurpose chips. Tesla has managed the semiconductor and supply chain issues better than other companies.
​​​​​​
bingo.... As I noted above, Tesla has some great ocba engineering talent at their disposal to drop in newer or second source parts to avoid the blunt of the chip shortages. Judging by their Q2 performance, they have far exceeded the old guard auto industry at their own supply chain games...
Old 10-05-21, 10:42 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
You may want to reread my original post about archaic fabs and comments thereof containing Tesla....
Old 10-06-21, 05:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yes but they are able to change chip vendors or chip parts easily because they are able to code new firmware changes to their systems. Other manufacturers have a hard time with this.
that's exactly right, and being able to have the option to source a whole range of different chips gives them an agility that stodgy old companies that are wholly dependent on suppliers of subassemblies using a single chip vendor don't have.

tesla is the apple of the car business. unique, creative, underestimated, disruptive, full of surprises, not for everyone, but a force that cannot be ignored, isn't going away, and getting bigger every day.
Old 11-01-21, 02:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Besides chips, we will soon have huge tire shortage and price increases. I've already seen a shortage of construction/industrial rubber products.

Quick Reply: chip shortage